The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Missouri (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Anyone has these plants in St. Louis? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=141142)

starccc 06-30-2011 04:37 AM

Anyone has these plants in St. Louis?

I am not new on planted tank. Has been doing planted tank for almost 10 years. Moved to St. Louis and have to restart everything. Now I am setting up my 46 gal tank low tech tank. I wonder if anyone has Java fern, narrow leaf java fern, blyxa Japonica, crypt and anubias. It would be good to buy locally.

Here is my tank in the best time... It is empty now and let's see what I can get in this setup...

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/5397/dsc36074hr.jpg

Seattle_Aquarist 06-30-2011 04:46 AM

Hi starccc,

I know of at least one TPT member that lives in St. Louis, hopefully he will speak up. He was telling me that several members of MASI (Missouri Aquarium Society, Inc.) are into planted aquariums. I am sure that you will probably be able to get them locally.

St. Louis = Steak n Shake; Imo's Pizza; Drew's Frozen Custard; Missouri Baking Company; "The Hill" with a host of excellent Italian restaurants; Been There - Done That!

TheOtherGeoff 06-30-2011 02:56 PM

Last i talked to them, not many people in MASI were into planted tanks.

you should be able to find most of that stuff at Aqua World, just be prepared to pay alittle extra for it. Or go to Tropical World Pets and make Adam order them for you.

Aquasapien69 06-30-2011 03:46 PM

Plants n such

Ya, I definitely try Aquaworld, but I'd to to the one on Gravois or just call them first. Here's their info. They have one of the nicest selections IMO.

3910 Gravois in St. Louis, MO
(314) 772-0100
Mon - Fri: 10:30am-8pm
Sat: 10:30am-6pm Sun: Closed

Then you have Aquabid if you can't find what you need locally. That's my $0.02.

Rynofasho 07-15-2011 10:11 PM

I was at Aqua World this week and they are so so. They sell dyed fish which I don't like, and they had MANY plants mislabeled. And I'm not talking a bit mislabeled, but just totally wrong. IE a Bacopa Caroliniana or Monneiri was labeled as a type of Hygro, and a sword was labeled a type of Crypt. May have just been a fluke, but I wasn't thrilled about it.

lexi03 07-20-2011 08:02 AM

Hi, I have Java fern, cryptocoryne wendtii green and anubias nana, unfortunatlly I have had trouble finding a lot of stuff since my favorite LFS went out of business, so they all where bought at the Petsmart on Lemay Ferry.

adamprice271 07-25-2011 05:57 AM

I used to work at Pet market place, but am now at TWP. I'm trying to get us setup with the plant supplier I used at PMP. In the next few weeks, we should start getting in a lot more variety. Once we get that, I'll toss up a list of what all we can get. Get some group buys possibly.

DWFISH 07-25-2011 06:09 PM

Adam, where did you order plants from at Pet Market, also I saw you had MC's. Don't get caught with them, Now in missouri they have been banned.

adamprice271 07-25-2011 07:54 PM

waterscapes. a place in Fl, that sells to retailers only. Yeah, I heard they were banned back in feb. but I've had em for a while, and they are for food purposes only.

Aquasapien69 07-26-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rynofasho (Post 1447298)
I was at Aqua World this week and they are so so. They sell dyed fish which I don't like, and they had MANY plants mislabeled. And I'm not talking a bit mislabeled, but just totally wrong. IE a Bacopa Caroliniana or Monneiri was labeled as a type of Hygro, and a sword was labeled a type of Crypt. May have just been a fluke, but I wasn't thrilled about it.

Did you tell them at AW that they had plants mislabeled? I've only been in there a couple of times but the guy I saw in there seemed pretty nice and I would think he would appreciate someone telling him the plants were mislabeled. That would suck for a newbie like me that is just learning my plants.

dunadan67 08-05-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquasapien69 (Post 1457186)
Did you tell them at AW that they had plants mislabeled? I've only been in there a couple of times but the guy I saw in there seemed pretty nice and I would think he would appreciate someone telling him the plants were mislabeled. That would suck for a newbie like me that is just learning my plants.

I always assumed the guys at Aqua-World were just lazy about updating the labels on the outside of each tank. Also, they're pretty good about updating their facebook page with their weekly shipments.

Just bought a Crypt there a couple weeks ago... looked awesome yet still melted away during the first week (darn); but this week, it started sprouting back with a vengeance.

Someone help me with my ignorance... what are these MCs that were banned in MO?

treetom 08-17-2011 10:44 PM

Marbled cray are illegal in MO to buy, sell, or posses.

bubblesgoup 08-19-2011 08:20 PM

Don't mean to thread jack here but wanted to say hello as i am another planted aquarium enthusiast from St. Louis. Right now I'm trying really hard to find any stores in st. Louis that could get me Blyxa japonica. It seems like my request is a bit hard to fulfill. Last time I tried ordering them from eBay but that was a horror story.

treetom 08-19-2011 10:33 PM

The choice for plants in the area are slim. MASI has auctions every other month or so and there are plants available there. Aqua world on Watson has plants.

Sent from my EVO 3D.

dunadan67 08-21-2011 01:51 PM

Just recv'd an order from liveaquaria, online.

I don't know what other people's experiences have been with them, but I'll have to give them a thumbs up after this first time. They ship plants on Mondays, so I got my order on Wednesday around noon. The facility is somewhere near Chicago so they didn't have to travel that far, at least.

Shipping wasn't cheap (~$15) but the plant prices weren't that bad, so altogether, with a larger order it worked out pretty well. Everything came in looking crazy excellent and healthy, plus I ended up getting more plants than I expected.

That being said, I'd prefer to buy from LFS in the St. Louis area, but when pickings are slim, online options aren't all that bad.