The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Ahquatics.com (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   I'll be distracted in Singapore for the summer... (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=140872)

A Hill 06-27-2011 06:58 AM

I'll be distracted in Singapore for the summer...

Hi all! Unexpectedly I have landed a pretty awesome internship with MyCube a social media startup company based in Singapore so on Friday I'll be leaving the states for the first time to live in Singapore all summer (six weeks) so I won't have too much time to be on the forums (as if I've been on much at all recently...) and also will not be as responsive at all. I'll be able to have a few orders sent out but the delay may be a bit longer than normal.

With that said, if anyone has anything they think I should keep an eye out for let me know. I won't be bringing any flora or fauna back but other stuff may be fair game:biggrin:

Email may be the best way to contact me this summer. My email address is andrew@rumfordaquatics.com

Thanks for understanding, this fall should be pretty fun because I know I'll have a few new products for sure.

-Andrew

mscichlid 06-27-2011 12:31 PM

Congratulations! Sounds really exciting.

When you get the chance, please posts what goodies you find.

Lil' Swimz$ 07-05-2011 10:40 PM

Wow sweat! Sounds fun.

jreich 07-05-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Hill (Post 1429611)
With that said, if anyone has anything they think I should keep an eye out for let me know.
-Andrew

yea the cops, dont do anything bad over there bc they will flog u. (i think its illegal to chew gum there)
Besides that Congrats!!!! and good luck out there, and be safe.

jkan0228 07-07-2011 03:40 PM

Yes it is illegal to chew gum there. Singapore has a very high level of discipline.

billb 07-07-2011 04:16 PM

Hey Congratulations! That is a cool opportunity.

I haven't had much time in Singapore but I did go to the botanic gardens and can recommend this. Amazing orchids. Oh, and the food is wonderful.

Good luck!

A Hill 07-10-2011 11:55 PM

Actually, it is not illegal to chew gum in Singapore. It is a $3000 fine or something if you are caught spitting it on the ground.

I want to add I'm finally about to be settled here within the week and then I'll start some operations again.

Singapore is absolutely amazing, not perfect, but pretty close.

-Andrew

BradH 07-16-2011 05:42 PM

Congrats! That's a once in a lifetime opportunity. What are you majoring in, if you don't mind me asking?

Ben. 07-17-2011 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradH (Post 1447865)
Congrats! That's a once in a lifetime opportunity. What are you majoring in, if you don't mind me asking?

I think its business:)

WaveSurfer 07-17-2011 07:12 AM

Welcome to our small but populated island! Glad you like it here so far. ^^

We do have quite a number of well known LFSes here, some under the blocks of flats while others in fish farms. Do check them out if you have the time. Enjoy your stay!

A Hill 07-22-2011 06:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradH (Post 1447865)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben. (Post 1448319)
I think its business:)

It has started to become complicated as to what my major will actually turn out to be. I'm going to start consulting alongside my startups this fall hopefully if things go right. My focuses are entrepreneurship, web design, e-commerce, social media policy, UI, atomization and efficiency, and a few dozen other things at this rate. I plan to eventually be a visionary serial entrepreneur so I'm trying to tailor my degree to be able to relate and communicate to people through language, design, anything really. I'm about to go back to school and tell them I need to do something different and they won't be too happy but they'll deal. Technically, right now, my major is Business Management Entrepreneurship with a possible minor in Dance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaveSurfer (Post 1448322)
Welcome to our small but populated island! Glad you like it here so far. ^^

We do have quite a number of well known LFSes here, some under the blocks of flats while others in fish farms. Do check them out if you have the time. Enjoy your stay!

I still need to get to see the good ones! Work has been insanely crazy busy and I leave the office around 11:30 each night... Not (really working working at that time but the time we leave it is that late) I need to fix my aquaticquotient account and get back on there soon (my username is "fish new")

See you later, from Singapore!
-Andrew

the planter 07-22-2011 07:12 AM

that crab looks deleicious :D how do you exactly get into this program?

A Hill 07-23-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the planter (Post 1453118)
that crab looks deleicious :D how do you exactly get into this program?

To be quite honest you need to be an outlier and an amazing one at that. If you are, if all goes well the program will probably have another session soon and if you're under 26, and fit the exceptional requirement let me know. It sounds so pretentious and I really hate saying it, but am not sure how it can be phrased without the fact of it being a select group sounding pretentious.

Anyways, today I saw some moss I sent to Singapore 4 years ago, growing in an aquarium. Long story short I found Bioplast fish shop aka the moss store in Singapore and it is actually really really close to my hostel. Inside one of his tanks is a moss that I found that died on me that he said is extremely difficult as well. For anyone wondering, our hobby language truly is universal it took a bit of time at first but finally we really started talking and had a very long conversation about aquatic mosses. He has a few species not available in the states and was one of the first people to have many mosses. He also has the tiny ferns and says they are extremely difficult to grow and take YEARS and years to spread.

If you're wondering, no I didn't buy anything. I did learn quite a bit about his setup and plan to possibly create a similar system in the future.

I didn't take any photos today but will in the future,

-Andrew