The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Fish (
-   -   I Got 6 McCulloch's Rainbows!! (

forddna 06-21-2011 04:31 PM

I Got 6 McCulloch's Rainbows!!
The LFS that I use for saltwater stuff was able to get me these from a local wholesaler. He handpicked me 6 of them. These are a great rainbow for those who don't have a big enough tank for other rainbows!

I'll try to get pics and vids when the lights are on. :icon_smil

forddna 06-21-2011 05:17 PM

Cardinal Tetra 06-21-2011 06:08 PM

Wow those are gorgeous! What sized tank is recommended for them? My lfs sometimes has these and they generally run for about $10/each.

Kathyy 06-21-2011 06:21 PM

Beautiful! I have been looking at this species but hadn't see the pretty iridescence in other photos that you have captured.

Perfect timing, these guys have just moved to the top of the list! I want rainbows and the black lines and red trim seem like they would be nice with my other black lined fish, otos and black neons, plus they aren't too large. Would the red fins blend or clash with sunset platy orange and female Black Phantom tetra??? The only thing holding me back from a school of Cardinal Tetras is the red looks horrible with the platies.

forddna 06-21-2011 06:37 PM

The irridescense is mostly just seen because of the flash of the camera. Just looking into the tank, I see a dark silver body with the black dots/lines and red fins. I'll see if I can take a pic further out.

I paid $10/each for them. They could have been $7.50 for smaller ones. These are pretty big already. They are supposed to reach a max of 3" and they are pretty close to that now. They are considered a dwarf rainbow.

I wanted a shoal of Boesmani, but everyone said they need a 4' tank. Mine is 54 gallons, but it's a corner tank.