The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Freakin Fluval (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1370)

GulfCoastAquarian 04-23-2003 01:02 PM

Don't mean to sound so angry, but it just had such a ring to it - Freakin Fluval. I am so sick of my Fluval 403 canister. Aside from being a royal pain to prime and start, it quit on me last night. the impeller just stopped moving. I tore it down and cleaned the impeller and it is working again, but the flow is very weak. It had apparently been down for a few days since I've been noticing the onset of green water since this weekend. My CO2 reactor is inline with the Fluval so I had all those nutrients in the water and no CO2.
I've got UV running off of a powerhead right now. I'm going to put the CO2 reactor and UV unit on a seperate powerhead after this clears up. I don't think the Fluval is capable of pushing through a reactor. I could use the extra water movement anyway. The Fluval just barely causes a stir with the spray bar.

It's time to start shopping for a new can, though.

ljezuit 04-23-2003 02:12 PM

Everyone recommends the Filstar here. I just ordered one myself. You can't beat the prices at Big Al's.

GDominy 04-23-2003 06:07 PM

Actually I prefer the Fluval 04 series to the filstarts, just personal preference really. I hated the 03 series, although they had a much nicer rim adaptor then the 04's.

I like my magnum 350 as well, although the cost of replacement parts is simply ridiculous ($35 for an impeller magnet!).

I'm thinking about re-doing the filtration on the 135 gallon with Eheims, but the availability of parts is limited :-(

Buck 04-23-2003 06:59 PM

Love my XP2 (s) <---*notice I bought another because...

I know , I know... shutup about them Filstars Buck ! :lol:

Rex Grigg 04-24-2003 12:51 AM

When I was buying equipment for my 55 gallon I had to decide between a Fluval and the Rena. I already had a XP-2 but was torn which to get for the 55 gallon. So I started searching the web and talking to people and heard enough horror stories I decided I would buy another XP series.

aquaphish 04-24-2003 09:24 PM

Fluval Fanatic For Fish Tank here!!! I have a 403 for my 40 gal well planted and really have not had any problems with it or any other Fluvals I have own in the past.

As for the primer I used to have problems but noticed I had some Java Fern stuck on the inlet and was stopping the ball from blocking the inlet tube which will cause a backflow into the inlet tube and then when you restart the pump the water would start flowing in reverse. But I make sure the ball is cleaned before is start-up and everything is fine.

The spraybar seemed to be too strong of a current fro the 40 gal. so I made three more lines of holes just a little larger than the original one row of holes. This lowered the force that the water would exit the spraybar and also prevented the nearby plants from getting bent over from the force of the water.

Momotaro 04-24-2003 09:51 PM

Eheim. Mine is fantastic! It powers my CO2 reactor and is DEAD silent! A real workhorse. The Eheim is made in Germany :( , but the Rena is made in..... :evil: .

We don't want to be political here, that I understand, but some folks just might want to know (and they deserve to know).

Mike

GDominy 04-24-2003 10:34 PM

As this is an international forum we should most definately keep political views free of the general forums and limited to the "off topic" area's.

Nous ne voulons pas offenser n'importe qui.

Work In Progress 04-25-2003 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GDominy
Nous ne voulons pas offenser n'importe qui.

I have no idea what you said dude, but it's cool! 8)
I think things have gotten a little too far, when politics make it all the way to our fish tanks...........

But that's just my opinion :roll:

Kelly

GulfCoastAquarian 04-25-2003 12:51 PM

So my Fluval is made in Italy. So are Ferraris. You'd think...

GDominy 04-25-2003 04:43 PM

Have you tried a Fluval 404 yet? They are pretty solid compared to the 403. I only had 1 problem with it so far, but it was a biggie (and it was my fault). I went to put the top back on, but I had it on backwards (it was 2am). I went to lock the clamps in place and snapped one of htem in half!

Hagen sent me a replacement clamp right away thankfully, I didnt have to pay a cent!

GulfCoastAquarian 04-25-2003 05:46 PM

Haven't tried the 404's, no. Although they do look MUCH improved, I don't think I'll be taking a chance on my next filter, though. It's most likely going to be an Eheim.

aquaphish 04-25-2003 06:15 PM

Re: Political correctness. Do you think the German Blue Ram would have a name change too!!! Or how about that Saltwater Angel French Angel.

Personally I would like to buy some french wines but can not afford them!!! My brother went to Paris for a medical convention and spent 3 weeks there and brought back some wines. Not being a wine novice the wines were the best I have tasted.

GDominy 04-25-2003 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GulfCoastAquarian
Haven't tried the 404's, no. Although they do look MUCH improved, I don't think I'll be taking a chance on my next filter, though. It's most likely going to be an Eheim.

Well hey if I could afford it I would have Eheims on all my tanks :-) I wish there was local retailer that sold Eheim equipment, its just a royal PITA to get stuff shipped here (especially when you have no credit cards).

I actually use modified Aquaclears on all of my tanks except the 135 Gallon tank, and I need to seriously rethink my filtration system there. I feed my loaches a lot of meaty foods so the bioload is pretty heavy. I considering replacing my Fluval and Magnum with 3 Eheims (2 with integrated heaters, and a third for CO2 diffusion and left empty in case I need a carbon chamber for chemical filtration). It will cost quite a bit, but it should be worth it. I can then free up the Magnum for use as a gravel vac and for as-needed micron filtering.

GulfCoastAquarian 04-25-2003 07:39 PM

You know, Gareth, since you mentioned having Aquaclears on all your tanks, I am seriously contemplating a HOB filter for this tank. You can't beat the ease of maintenence! Eheims are expensive, but if I am going to change this Fluval at all, it might as well be the best. Truth is I'm probably going to stick with it for as long as I have to.

Re: Political, etc. this reminds me of when they changed "Hamburger" to "Salisbury Steak" and "Frankfurter" to "Hot Dog". One stuck ,the other didn't!