The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Tank Journals (
-   -   90g acrylic journal (

looking4roselines 03-31-2011 08:49 PM

90g acrylic journal
A few months ago, a buddy demolished their home to rebuild it and they gave me their used 90g acrylic tank as we were cleaning things up. The acrylic appears to be cloudy with the amount of tiny scratches it has but it doesn't look as bad when it's filled with water.

As suggested by a fellow board member, the tank was polished with Novus 1, 2, and 3 scratch remover and I must say that #2 worked pretty well for me. It removed most, if not all, of the fine scratches. However, the result from #3 (for deep scratches) were mediocre. I should have gotten wet sandpaper for the deeper scratches first but was satisfied with the result.

I was up at Big Creek for work a few months ago and found a nice piece of manzanita that I wanted to use for this tank but I couldn't get it to fit. I ended up chopping it in half.

This is the final hard scape that I decided to keep.

This tank has actually been running for a few weeks now and I have a journal at SCAPE but decided to post here as well. My goal for this setup is a low maintenance tank dominated by crypts with some moss and ferns. I also made a 12-13" tall mound to allow crypts to flower when the water level is reduced. The substrate is earthworm casting (mixed with clay) capped with used aquasoil.

I am expecting two shipments of hairgrass to arrive. This will be the main foreground cover. Also, the crypts traded with Chad recently will be going in here as well.

I will update this later when the hairgrass is planted in.

Plants and critters as of 3-31-2011:
C affinis "Pahang"
C keei "Jambusan"
C nurii "Pahang"
C nurii "Pahang" - mutated form
C nurii "Rompin"
C striolata "Lundu"
Mini pellia
Weeping moss
Fissiden fontanus
Bolbitis heudelotii - small form
Needle leaf fern

bristlenose plecos

roybot73 03-31-2011 08:59 PM

This... gonna be awesome.

Chaos_Being 03-31-2011 09:24 PM

Wow...I'm definitely going to be watching this one. I sense great potential :D

ancona46 03-31-2011 11:22 PM

nice, i have been toying with the idea of trying to remove the scratches from my 75 gallon. glad to see it somewhat works

Cardinal Tetra 06-24-2011 06:32 AM

Any updates Xue?

TwoStrokeKing 06-24-2011 06:37 AM

Nice! Get some updates!

looking4roselines 07-18-2011 07:30 PM

I kinda forgot about this thread. I will get some new pictures out tonight.

looking4roselines 07-18-2011 07:43 PM

These are taken a ~2 months back?...

A really outdated full tank shot

A more recent almost FTS

Fissiden sprouting on wood - I thought this was algae at first:

Anubias 'gasser'

C striolata with bba on old leaves

C walkeri legroi and c indonesia from Chad

Tillansia sp attached to wood poking out of water

C nurii and c affinis

nonconductive 07-18-2011 07:45 PM

BradH 07-18-2011 09:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Looks great!

Mr_ed 07-19-2011 05:52 AM

Great tank. I got exactly the same tank used, still getting ideas on how to scape it.

Cardinal Tetra 07-19-2011 06:30 AM

Love it! I was wondering where you kept your roselines ;)

I like how your C. affinis grows upright. Mine fan out and the leaves stay about an inch above the substrate and take up valuable space :( Speaking of which how are the ones I sent you? The crypts you sent me have been doing great with no melting and some new leaves.

The colors on the legroi are also really nice!

looking4roselines 07-19-2011 04:17 PM

Thanks Huy. The c affinis I got from you is doing great. The runners have turned into plantlets but you wont find them in these pictures since theyre kinda old.

I am sure it will turn into a bush in no time since these are growing a lot faster than all the affinis I have. I still owe you one of mine by the way. I could send you one sometime next month. Just shoot me a reminder.

Cardinal Tetra 07-19-2011 10:09 PM

Good to hear that. Mine have really taken off. I counted 8 new runners when I was clearing out some plants last weekend. You can have more of them if you want.

I'd love to have one, thanks! I can wait until whenever since it's so hot right now.

orchidman 07-19-2011 10:15 PM

subscribed! great tank! i love the hardscape!