The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Planted Tank Discussion (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   My amano shrimp just walked out of the tank !! (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=131825)

Mkb 03-19-2011 11:22 PM

My amano shrimp just walked out of the tank !!

Our fresh water tank is just four weeks old and currently hosts 14 lambchop rasboras, 4 neon tetras, 4 Zebra Loaches, 2 Chinese algea eaters, 3 ghost shrimps and 1 amano shrimp. Tank capacity is 30 gallons. Temp. Is maintained at 75, ph is 7.2, 0 ammonia, nitrate, nitrite. We change 15 - 20 % of water every two days as it is still new set up. We feed small quantities thrice a day. There is lot od hiding place, natural plants, drift woods, some amount of white algea on th glass. We also drop algea cakes thrice a week.

This is our first ever water tank : but i wonder where we are going wrong! I do appreciate

1. I noticed 1 tetra and 1 rasboro dead half eaten.
2. For no reason one amano fish is dead and turned ibto bubblegum pink at the bottom of the tank.
3. Today morning my daughter stepped on something which turned out tobe one of my amanos!! Now I notice that last amano shrimp is lurking near the filter tube on top. Could that be next?!

My water level is a bit high. I have plants going to the tank top, but now i have trimmed them.

Has anybody had similar problem?
Thanks, appreciate your time

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_A...2/DSC01723.JPG

tamsin 03-19-2011 11:32 PM

What sort of cycle did you do to set it up? How long have the occupants been in?

Are you testing before or after a water change to get 0 ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

I take it your treating the new water for chlorine?

Mkb 03-19-2011 11:44 PM

I am not aware of any particular cycle to set the tank. We set it up on feb 21st. The occupants started arriving from the second week onwards. Shrimps have been there for two weeks. Initial two changes we used nesltle bottled cans. We treat the tap water for chlorine. Water trace levels have been near about perfect. We have got it checked every water cycle. Now I use a home kit with solutions.

mcubed45 03-20-2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mkb (Post 1330856)
I am not aware of any particular cycle to set the tank. We set it up on feb 21st. The occupants started arriving from the second week onwards. Shrimps have been there for two weeks. Initial two changes we used nesltle bottled cans. We treat the tap water for chlorine. Water trace levels have been near about perfect. We have got it checked every water cycle. Now I use a home kit with solutions.

are you checking the water in the aquarium BEFORE or AFTER the water change?

a tank usually takes at least a month to fully cycle. until then, there isn't enough "good bacteria" to process all the fish waste. dead bodies don't help either.

tamsin 03-20-2011 12:45 AM

It sounds like your tank is uncycled then. I'm not sure how experienced you are so sorry if this is just repeating what you know. Cycling is the process of 'growing' the bacteria in your filter that turn the harmful waste produced by your fish (ammonia etc.) into less harmful nitrate. You can do a fishless cycle, where you add ammonia to the tank until the bacteria have built up enough to clear it or a fish-in cycle where you add a couple (literally) of hardy fish and then very slowly build up the number, adding a couple more fish every few weeks.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=2491

It sounds like you didn't do any sort of cycle, so you've got a lot of fish producing waste and no bacteria to control that. As you've started to increase the number of occupants the issue gets gradually worse. I'm surprised you're not reading ammonia or nitrite - you are checking the old water in the tank before you do a water change yes? Probably the only reason you haven't had more loses is the regular water changes which dilute them. Shrimp are particularly sensitive so it only needs a little to effect them).

I would definitely not introduce anything more. Cut down your feeding to once a day or even every other day, keep changing the water and if possible introduce an airline to minimise the effects. Do you know anyone with an established tank? seeding your filter with bacteria from an established tank is the quickest way to increase them.

Montbars 03-20-2011 08:16 PM

I think amanos need a very well-established tank. Everytime Amanos did not like my water conditiions they would try to climb out or die. If they are happy they look really busy cleaning, not sitting with their arms motionless

Safez 03-20-2011 08:49 PM

Out of a bunch of 10 Feeder ghost shrimp I find at least 2-3 crawl out almost immediately... the other stay and hide or get eaten

reignOfFred 03-20-2011 08:56 PM

First things first, you should test your ammonia and nitrites to make sure they are not causing an issue.

The thing with aquariums is not all fish make it. You can buy 20 fish, but nobody says all 20 are going to make it to adulthood, or live a long and full life - just like if you take 20 people, certainly at least 1 is bound to die young from some disease or another. When a fish dies but the rest of the tank is doing very well, it really isn't worth fretting about. Test your levels to assure yourself the aquarium is in good condition, and move on.

Amano shrimp will jump occasionally, it really isn't a huge concern -IF the rest of the livestock is doing well and the aquarium is in good condition.

JshineTX84 03-20-2011 09:47 PM

Get a small bottle of stability and your tank will be fine.

feral13 03-21-2011 03:39 AM

I found an Amano Shrimp walking down my hallway over 20ft from the tank.

And it was one of probably a dozen or so different shrimp, fish or snails they have fallen out of my topless tank.

One thing I noticed is that shrimp will jump out accidentally if they are trying to escape harassment from another fish or shrimp.

Blax 03-21-2011 05:01 PM

OMG the same thing happened with my amano shrimp! My brother woke me up outta my sleep and said the shrimp was in his room near his guitar! But then again...it could have been that one of the cats snuck in my room and grabbed him...

Vancat2 03-21-2011 05:26 PM

nah, they do that. I just found one myself.

demonr6 03-21-2011 07:06 PM

I had one of my shrimp appear out of the tank and it was swimming in the dog bowl. The tank sits on a corner of a kitchen island and just below is where the bowl is. The dogs would not drink the water, they sat there barking at it so when I looked in one of the stupid shrimp was in there frolicking. You have to keep an eye on those shrimp I tell you..

FlyingHellFish 03-06-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonr6 (Post 1332482)
I had one of my shrimp appear out of the tank and it was swimming in the dog bowl. The tank sits on a corner of a kitchen island and just below is where the bowl is. The dogs would not drink the water, they sat there barking at it so when I looked in one of the stupid shrimp was in there frolicking. You have to keep an eye on those shrimp I tell you..

Hahahhaha. How did it make it so far?

chiefroastbeef 03-06-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonr6 (Post 1332482)

Haha, did you take a photo?

I've never been able to keep amanos in my open top tank. They either die or climb out(all dusty, crusty). My cherries are doing fine, maybe I'll try amanos again, since I have a minute amount of black brush algae in the tank, I want to find out if the amanos will eat it.