The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/)
-   Fish (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/21-fish/)
-   -   Deworming (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/21-fish/131643-deworming.html)

defiesexistence 03-17-2011 06:45 PM

Deworming

This is perhaps another of my near intolerably stupid questions which are probably obvious to others: So with deworming agents such as this: http://angelsplus.com/MedsParasite.htm. will it kill the worm, or does it just remove it from the fishes' system? Or both of those?

wkndracer 03-17-2011 06:54 PM

Send Steve an email and I'm sure he'll answer.
Worming here I use Flubendazole because it's a water column treatment doing the whole tank. Also Levamisole HCl powder - serious treatment for Camallanus Nematode internal parasite infestation.

http://inkmkr.com/Fish/

jcardona1 03-17-2011 06:57 PM

I also use Flubendazole. It treats all worms, including nematodes. You can order it here:

http://www.igopro-online.com/SearchR...h=flubendazole

wkndracer 03-17-2011 07:02 PM

The second supplied link is $7 less on 100g but I'm a nut and staying with the hobbyist thats selling it. (no idea on shipping fees on the later either)

good luck OP, needing the meds I hope your issues clear up.

J-P 03-17-2011 07:07 PM

You really should know what you're treating for. If it is a nematode as mentioned above there is a good chance your fish is going to die from the treatment anyway. Nematodes as IPs are found in between the muscle tissues and under the skin. Once treated they tend to die, but can't be passed out of the fishes system like IPs that attack the intestines. The body of the worm will remain under the skin and rot causing an infection that will kill the fish.

Just be careful when treating.. it is always best to target treat as opposed to a broad spectrum treatment.

jcardona1 03-17-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkndracer (Post 1328746)
The second supplied link is $7 less on 100g but I'm a nut and staying with the hobbyist thats selling it. (no idea on shipping fees on the later either)

good luck OP, needing the meds I hope your issues clear up.

So is the second link, he's a vendor/sponsor on a discus forum :) Shipping was about $7 when I ordered a few weeks ago...

wkndracer 03-17-2011 07:25 PM

Good to know, prior to this thread and your post I was unaware of anywhere else in the U.S. I could get it at 10% without Rx.

OverStocked 03-17-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkndracer (Post 1328775)
Good to know, prior to this thread and your post I was unaware of anywhere else in the U.S. I could get it at 10% without Rx.

Panacur is 22% Bajillions of places carry it. I've had great luck using it.

jcardona1 03-17-2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by over_stocked (Post 1328787)
Panacur is 22% Bajillions of places carry it. I've had great luck using it.

Panacur is Fenbendazole, not Flubendazole, different meds. Fenbendazole should be added to the food. Flubendazole is safe to be added to the water column. Tons of issues reported on discus when Fenbendazole is added to the water. Many fish die shortly after treatment.

jcardona1 03-17-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkndracer (Post 1328775)

Fairly new, he only started selling it earlier this year. He doesn't keep it in stock because of its shelf life. He only orders as needed. It took a little over a week to receive my order.

defiesexistence 03-17-2011 07:52 PM

I was just wondering idly; there's no problem with my fish currently, but for safety measures when quarantining, I'd like to get something to make sure I don't introduce anything into my tanks. The quality of the fish I can get is a mystery.

Summing up: Fenbendazole is added to the food, good for intestinal parasites, such as castodes.

Flubendazole is for nematodes, and is broad-spectrum (?), it's a water column treatment.

What do you treat trematodes with?

jcardona1 03-17-2011 08:01 PM

A lot of discus folks use Flubendazole because it's easy to use and can nuke any bad worms. Plus, if the fish is already sick or stressed, chances are he isn't eating, which makes Fenbendazole worthless. The next batch of wild discus I buy will be treated with flubendazole before going into the main tank. They recommend using food medicated with Fenbendazole 2-3x a year as a preventative.

DarkCobra 03-17-2011 08:10 PM

I can no longer find reference on the inkmkr.com website to Flubendazole being recommended for Callamanus, and they now recommend a very large dose of Levamisole, 5g/100G. There are older versions of their instructions floating around on other websites.

I do know from experience that Angels Plus Deworming Food (Fenbendazole) will not cure Callamanus. Might still be effective against other parasites.

Callamanus are freakin' evil. Still trying to eliminate them 100%. I plan on treating all new fish for them regardless of symptoms.

OverStocked 03-17-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcardona1 (Post 1328798)
Panacur is Fenbendazole, not Flubendazole, different meds. Fenbendazole should be added to the food. Flubendazole is safe to be added to the water column. Tons of issues reported on discus when Fenbendazole is added to the water. Many fish die shortly after treatment.

Wowza, you'd think I'd read a post closer before posting.

You'd be wrong. But you'd think....

mistergreen 03-17-2011 08:46 PM

Fenbendazole isn't water soluble (or at least easily soluble)... That's why it's better as a food additive.

Levamisol works great but a bit hard to find since they've been taken off the market. What you can find is stock. I don't think levamisol kills the nematode immediately but rather paralyzes the worms. It would detach from the fish and starve.

When treating for worms (callamanus), it's best to treat twice. Once initially and another a week later to catch all stages of the worm cycle.