The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   South Carolina (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Plants in the upstate (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=128963)

sjuapseorn 02-18-2011 11:33 PM

Plants in the upstate

Anyone know of anywhere other than the PetSmart in Spartanburg/Gaffney area to buy plants.

I'm looking for some stuff that I can grow really easily in a 2.5 gallon. Been eyeballing the "Java Moss" for a while but neither of the 2 places I've been sell it.

Or maybe a reputable site that wont rip me off..
I'm totally new to the plant thing..

SJ

DKRST 02-20-2011 08:37 PM

I'm in Moore and have the same problem - no good local fish shops. I purchased online and had good luck. It's the shipping cost that kills you! I purchased a plant pack from www.thatpetplace.com and each bunch/plant averaged out to about $2.50 (including shipping). There are many other vendors online and you also may be able to find a person on the tropical fishkeeping forum (you use your same user ID and password to join that forum). They have a buy/sell thread on their forum. You can also try Charlotte...

sjuapseorn 02-21-2011 12:25 PM

thanks for the reply!

I think I'll stick with buying from board members. That way everyone who is on here benefits. I can coordinate shipping easier with members vs. an online retailer.

i'm in class most all day every day so I have to be careful when stuff comes in or it will sit in my box for a while. With summer approaching that could be devastating to my plants.

prjct92eh2 03-03-2011 01:51 PM

I work near boiling springs and am constantly throwing out trimmings. Let me know when you need some and we can meet and i'll give them to you.

sjuapseorn 03-23-2011 04:03 AM

Wow I should have subbed my own thread!!

I'm still looking for some kind of low lying easy to grow plant for my substrate.

I don't see the dwarf baby tears working for me though as I'm only running Medium light on my new 29 gallon.

As soon as my order from GLA comes in I'll have my CO2 back up and running since I somehow clutzed my drop checker and broke it...

SJ

ValMM 03-23-2011 04:34 AM

I know I'm not from SC, but when I was looking for LFS I used my local phone book. Maybe there's some small LFS listed for your area?

sjuapseorn 03-24-2011 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValMM (Post 1334185)
I know I'm not from SC, but when I was looking for LFS I used my local phone book. Maybe there's some small LFS listed for your area?

Yea there is 1 near me but she only sells Banana Plants and Amazon Swords.
I have a lead on another place but I've yet to figure out exactly where it is, but it's close to the College where I go so I might have to go on an adventure!

ValMM 03-24-2011 04:15 AM

Oh, well leads are good. I hope you are able to find what you are looking for.

sjuapseorn 03-26-2011 02:58 AM

I went by this place.. it's called PetWorld in Boiling Springs.

Nice place..
The owner is super nice guy. He seems to know a good bit about plants and all too so that makes me happy. Oh and he even sells Cherry Shrimpies..

I saw several really nice Betta in his tanks.. too bad I'm having so much trouble with my 4g right now that I thought was cycled (nope I was dead wrong) or I'd have gotten the black and silvery looking one I saw today.. he was BEAST!!!!

the more I think about it the more I wanna start back with bettas... they're super interesting fish to watch, plus this pet store has a sorority tank for females!!!!!!!
+1 on him for that.

On a funny note... his cherry shrimp go INSANE for Sera crab bites... I think he trained em to do that to drum up sales lol.. I bought a can and my shrimp are like.. WTF is this?!? Heh I can't win for losing!!

prjct92eh2 03-26-2011 03:33 AM

Yup, German guy. That place is one exit from my work so I stop there all the time on the way home from work. I got my angelfish (see other thread in this forum), an assassin snail, Sera shrimp food and other miscellaneous stuff from there. I gave him some trimming about 2 months ago, they are in one of the 55 gallon tanks by the salt water stuff. Probably not doing too well since they were used to high light, but oh well. btw I always have extra HC and glosso if you want some.

prjct92eh2 03-26-2011 03:38 AM

btw u noticed the other day they are building a Saluda River Pet store on hwy. 9 near Pet World. They carry fish too. Should be interesting to see how that plays out.

sjuapseorn 03-30-2011 03:15 AM

You know what.. if they carry CRS cheaper than 5.50 a shrimp I might just have to visit the competition...

*sigh* nice guy.. way too expensive on shrimp..

prjct92eh2 03-30-2011 10:42 AM

CRS or RCS? I have some RCS that are starting to populate. Should be able to sell some in about a month.

DKRST 06-27-2011 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prjct92eh2 (Post 1313021)
I work near boiling springs and am constantly throwing out trimmings. Let me know when you need some and we can meet and i'll give them to you.

You wouldn't happen to have any extra floating plants to sell, trade, or RAOK, other than pennywort, or Duckweed, by chance?

prjct92eh2 06-29-2011 05:16 PM

I have some amazon frogbit i could probably part with. how much do you need?