The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Plants (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Java Fern Maximum Growth Size? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12817)

travis 12-31-2004 04:35 PM

Java Fern Maximum Growth Size?

I'm planning on adding some Java fern to my 125G for the first time and was wondering what your experiences have been with the maximum height / width growth of Java fern. I'm going to be putting in some standard, Windelov, and narrow leaf varieties to see how they all look. I'm not so concerned about them getting too big for the tank as I am in planting them in the proper locations to begin with. Thanks! :)

Thanks 12-31-2004 05:49 PM

my standard java fern is about 8 inches tall and 1.5 inches wide at the widest point. i have no experience with windelov or narrow, though narrow gets about the same size except half as wide. A word of warning: even though they are said to be "slow growing", each week i have to harvest about 1/8 pound of baby plantlets (and i dont have that much in the tank). i have some babies on wood, and in a month they were half as big as the parents. :icon_bigg good luck

Dwarfpufferfish 12-31-2004 06:00 PM

Java ferns can get VERY large. But it takes a very long time. Mine are about as big as thanks, but they do not throw out as many babies. I wouldnt worry to much about them getting huge!

Buck 12-31-2004 10:07 PM

Quote:

I wouldnt worry to much about them getting huge!
Bull to that ... how about 12" leaves that are 3" wide... they (standard variety) get as big as a sword plant , narrow leaf is a little more forgiving in width but leaf length can exceed the 12"... windelov is a tighter pattern but I have had some extensions in the 7-8" range. Ferns will go wild but do well if not best, with trimmings of roots and older growth.

travis 12-31-2004 10:12 PM

Heheh Buck, I was sort of hoping that they would get huge myself. I've got plenty of room for them :)

Buck 12-31-2004 10:14 PM

Yes you do Travis but be careful what you wish for... it may come true. :icon_roll

Thanks 12-31-2004 10:24 PM

12" and 3" wide?! AWESOME :hihi: :hihi: well then they still have quite a road ahead of them...

i planted babies on a driftwood, and they grow for a while then stop. Then a new leaf or two comes from the rhizome, grows a bit higher than the first, and then stops. this process repeats, and so i have a really really dense bunch of java fern... is it ok to just prune away the smaller leaves every week, and leave the bigger ones? otherwise its a lot of fern :cool:

Buck 12-31-2004 11:01 PM

This only applies to well lit tanks...low light ferns are different.
The trick to making nice ferns is to leave only the "healthiest" growth... with the javas you can immediately tell which leaves are being sustained the best. Do not be shy with the scissors... when you see an "abnormal" leaf come out... cut it. When you see a leaf come out that is not the right color, cut it...what this does is leave the rhyzome to only put energy into the new and "good" growth and not waste energy trying to sustain a plant that is whacked.
You also dont want them growing too many new leafs at once , again , this is wasted energy... ferns need to be trained to what you want or they can get ugly... :wink:
I stopped my leafs at that size... I wonder what they could really do... ???

Opiesilver 12-31-2004 11:03 PM

I sell some that are 25" tall and have 3" - 5" wide leaves. They can get enourmous, but it takes a long, long time.

Rex Grigg 12-31-2004 11:42 PM

I started with a piece about as big as my little finger. In my fast 55 gallon tank it took about 9 months to fill about 1/3 of the tank. It was not quite up to the top of the tank but it did fill the tank front to back and almost 1/3 the length.

Oqsy 01-01-2005 04:25 AM

saw some windelov in a store today that was easily 8-10" tall with about 15-25 leaves per rhizome... i couldn't tell you how much bigger windelov gets, but there's a starting point.

Oqsy

travis 01-01-2005 04:30 AM

Sounds like this could get pretty interesting :wink: Thanks guys. And Happy New Year!

Thanks 01-01-2005 03:11 PM

happy new year! I had no idea java fern can get so big... :icon_bigg
how long will it take in a 3.5 wpg tank, w/ lots of nutrients?

travis 01-01-2005 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thanks
how long will it take in a 3.5 wpg tank, w/ lots of nutrients?

I don't know but I'm about to find out :tongue:

Thanks 01-01-2005 03:42 PM

i bet ill find out faster! :tongue: