The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Tank Journals (
-   -   40B-Meadow of Rasboras (

sp33drhno 02-05-2011 02:08 AM

40B-Meadow of Rasboras
3 Attachment(s)
Here's my first attempt at a 40 breeder.

Tank: AGA 40 gallon breeder
Light: 2x Coralife 2x21 watt T5NO with Current Lunar Links attached via 3m double sided adhesive.
Filter: 2x Eheim 2213
Heater: Hydor ETH 200w
Substrate: Eco-complete mixed with
Ferts: Dry ferts and Rootmedic caps
Co2: GLA Primo regulator, Atomic inline diffuser, 10# cylinder

Flora: Crypt pontederiifolia, Crypt walkeri, Crypt wendtii bronze & green, Lilaeopsis mauritiana, Valisneria nana, Needle leaf Java fern, Taiwan moss, Pennywort, Amazon Frogbit, Limnophila repens 'mini'

Fauna: 25x Harlequin rasbora
3x Otocinclus
2x Trichogaster leeri (Pearl Gourami)
3x Trichopsis pumila (Sparkling Gourami)
1x Corydoras paleatus (Peppered Cory)
6x Corydoras panda (Panda Cory)

This tank was setup on 1/26 and finished cycling on 2/2. Nearly half the substrate was from a tank I took down a month ago, and it was still wet. The driftwood also came from that tank. So that probably helped speed things along. As usual the Aquariumplants substrate has initially lowered the pH to 6 or less. The API test only goes down to 6.

I have 17 more rasboras in my 20 long which I plan to take down in the coming weeks. So they will join the dozen I got yesterday. I also plan to add a shoal of yasuhikotakia sidthimunki if I can find any. Otherwise I'll go with a smaller cory.

The crypts, ludwigia and l. mauritiana were just added today. I haven't gotten around to separating the stems yet.

sp33drhno 02-08-2011 01:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
It seems as though the tank wasn't quite ready for a dozen rasboras. It's going through a mini cycle. There's .25 ppm of NH3 and NO2. So I added an AC50 that had been running on my 20L for nearly 2 years. The 20L still has a 2213. Maybe I should just swap 2213s

Da Plant Man 02-08-2011 01:13 AM

Looks good! Cant wait to see it progress!

sp33drhno 02-14-2011 01:46 AM

Not a whole lot has changed. Some of the plants are melting and new leaves are growing. Also the mini-cycle concluded and took a rasbora with it. The other 11 seem to be healthy. They are all very active and eating well.

So I'm now in the process of moving the 17 rasboras in the 20 long to the 40. The 20 long is basically filled front to back with jungle val. So it's a challenge to net the fish. I'll just catch a few every day and slowly build up the school in the 40. The goal is to have a school of 29 or so harlequins. Then onto the dwarf chain loaches or corydoras... still not sure which one, and whether or not I should add a dwarf gourami or similar fish.

Also I'm thinking about going pressurized and adding a single bulb T5NO fixture for better light distribution. Or I could just raise the current light. Not too satisfied with the lighting at the moment.

2in10 02-14-2011 01:57 AM

Looks very nice, should look great grown out. I had the same problem with Aquariumplants substrate. I just dosed Seachem Alkaline Buffer every couple of days to keep the KH up.

sp33drhno 02-21-2011 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The GLA Primo regulator and various other Co2 stuff arrived today. The cylinder should be delivered tomorrow. So everything will be setup by the end of the week. The tank looks a bit bare at the moment as a bunch of the Lilaeopsis mauritiana melted, and a few of the crypts. There is a bit of new growth. At the moment there's only root caps in the substrate, but I plan on dosing dry ferts once I get the Co2 running.

sp33drhno 03-02-2011 04:21 AM

Coralife x2
1 Attachment(s)
I love the coralife t5no aqualight. They are slim, compact and produce a pleasing color spectrum. The only problem is the crappy reflector. It doesn't help that the bulbs are so close to each other. So I added a second fixture today. The Lilaeopsis mauritiana looked like it could use the extra light.

Pressurized Co2 has been going for nearly a week, and the plants are growing a bit faster. They are also pearling a bit. Hopefully this encourages the val nana to send out more runners. The back is looking bare at the moment. The tank has been running for just over a month now, and brown diatoms are beginning to grow on the glass. I haven't noticed it anywhere else.

Capsaicin_MFK 03-02-2011 07:31 AM

How do you like that inline diffuser? I have had mine setup for about 2 weeks now and it is awesome.

sp33drhno 03-02-2011 03:57 PM

The diffuser is great. There's a super fine mist of Co2 all over the tank and no equipment in the tank, or noise from bubbles being chopped up by an impeller.

sp33drhno 03-29-2011 01:56 AM

I recently purchased two female gourami and added them to the tank yesterday. I'm not sure how long I'll keep them in there because the male chases them around frequently, and seems to harass one more than the other. Although things have calmed down a bit today. Otherwise the tank hasn't changed much. The plants are continuing to grow slowly, but steadily. Now I'm not sure if I should add dwarf chain loaches or just get a smaller cory?

Co2 injection, regular fert dosing, plus fast growing frogbit and pennywort seem to be keeping algae to a minimum. There really isn't much algae except for a bit of gsa and diatoms on the glass. No algae to speak of on the plants. Hopefully it stays like this.

sp33drhno 04-15-2011 03:26 AM

Sorting itself out
1 Attachment(s)
In recent weeks the tank has really begun to mature. The ottos have been keeping the tank almost completely free of algae. I did notice bba beginning to grow on a few L. mauritiana leaves. So I removed those leaves and turned up the co2 a bit. Also the val nana is finally picking up it's pace and sending more runners out.

In the past week the male gourami decided which female he preferred. One of them was being chase around quite a bit, and disappeared one day. Also two otos died, but I always seem to lose one or two, and the rest live for years.

Here's an underexposed picture I took this evening. I need to trim the needle leaf java fern soon.

chad320 04-15-2011 03:31 AM

Looks nice. Whats up with the pennywort? Just a floater or Nitrate sink or what? How about a closer look?

sp33drhno 04-15-2011 03:47 AM

Yeah, the pennywort is just a floater and nitrate sink. I'll get a better pic tomorrow.

chad320 04-15-2011 07:16 AM

Put some in the back corners. I think it will look good. But my opinion doesnt matter on your tank anyway...Just my opinion :)

But, yeah, I really like it. Very cool mellowness to it :)

sp33drhno 04-16-2011 02:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's some close ups of the pennywort. I think I may plant some of the pennywort in the left corner. I've been wanting to add a plant there, but haven't been able to make up my mind. Thanks for the suggestion.