The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Lounge & Introductions (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Chad's community PAR meter (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=127265)

chad320 02-01-2011 11:11 PM

Chad's community PAR meter

This thread is to gauge interest in a community PAR meter. I am getting one and its a one time use type thing until you change lights or you feel yours are getting old. I thought some others might like to use it. You would have to be a TPT supporter, Have a good iTrader rating, and pay for shipping both ways. Would anyone like to try this out? Please post comments, concerns, questions below. If you would like to steal it, please tell me before I ship it to you :)

flowmsp 02-01-2011 11:17 PM

I would want to try one out for sure. I think my lighting is a little low at my substrate but want to test to make sure. Can you add me to the list please?

chad320 02-01-2011 11:20 PM

Can do. First to post gets it first. This could aslo provide a nice sister thread of everyones tanks and light findings to help sort out some lighting issues for different plants. With ferts pinned down, now lighting, all that is left is Co2.

Dempsey 02-01-2011 11:28 PM

Count me in!

Dave-H 02-01-2011 11:30 PM

What is the actual cost for a decent PAR meter?

OverStocked 02-01-2011 11:32 PM

I'd join in as well.

legomaniac89 02-01-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-H (Post 1279740)
What is the actual cost for a decent PAR meter?

Decent ones are ~$200-$300, though I've seen them go much higher.

chad320 02-01-2011 11:41 PM

The Apogee GS200 is what im looking at. I see it quickly for $350, but I havent googled around yet. I will likely be ordering it this weekend. Whats a fair amount of time for one person to have it so everyone gets a shot. Im thinking about a week ought to do you just fine and allow time to get it back to the PO. Opinions?

kevmo911 02-01-2011 11:46 PM

It sounds like a neat idea to have one available. However, I'd be very worried about the wear and tear of the thing being shipped around the country, and it would be hard for me to trust that everybody would be gentle in its use and generous with packing insulation. I'm very tempted, and might be persuaded, but at the moment I'm doubtful it would last long :(

flowmsp 02-01-2011 11:49 PM

My thinking for the packing was, come up with some sort of padded box/container that fits perfect inside a shipping box. Then make sure it goes in this same container wherever it travels so only the outer shell(box) is replaced.

Dave-H 02-01-2011 11:52 PM

Not really that expensive. I would buy one if someone agreed to buy it used. We could arrange a queue of people, and reduce the cost 25 bucks each time it changes hands, seller pays shipping. Spread the risk :)

chad320 02-01-2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevmo911 (Post 1279776)
It sounds like a neat idea to have one available. However, I'd be very worried about the wear and tear of the thing being shipped around the country, and it would be hard for me to trust that everybody would be gentle in its use and generous with packing insulation. I'm very tempted, and might be persuaded, but at the moment I'm doubtful it would last long :(

Hence the shipping BOTH WAYS. That way it will get returned to me each time for review. Im sure nobody wants the fame and fortune as being the guy who broke the meter. I also expect a descent iTrader rating so I know you have some knowledge of proper shipping procedures. I feel most everyone who is intelligent enough to use/need one will be smart enough to respect that its not theirs, but borrowed. As for wear and tear, eh, things dont last forever. Its bound to happen. Planted tank clubs do this all the time and I thought it would be nice for some folks to try it out if youre not near a club, group, or just plain dont have access to one. Plus the information in one collective thread about fixtures and bulbs and their readings as well as the plants being grown could prove priceless.

Dempsey 02-01-2011 11:55 PM

I would hope that the folks involved with this would have respect for the equipment and for Chad helping out the TPT community when he does not have to to this degree. I think this is a great idea. If one person receives it in a "not so good" shipping box/packing, etc, they should have the respect to make the proper adjustments when shipping back.

hbosman 02-02-2011 12:05 AM

Count me in too please!

chad320 02-02-2011 12:12 AM

@hbosman, I am asking that you be a TPT supporter. I think this will help ensure dedicated people are using it respectfully. I will count you inline, as is, if you are a supporter by the time it gets around to your turn. No disrespect to you. I just think it will weed out some less dedicated people that may be gone from the site in a month.