The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126629)

DKShrimporium 01-26-2011 10:21 PM

DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........

(BTW - These are projects under development and none are for sale at this time.)

I've had a slew of requests to post updates on my projects lately, so here goes. I'll have to do it in several posts.

First off, the big kahuna. Took me a year to engineer, and the past year has been in beta testing. I run my tanks off our well water, which happens to emerge from the ground like CO2 infused RO water with 10 ppm nitrates (farm fertilizer runoff). So all the water to feed my tanks has to be "made" to specs.

I designed this, what I call DK's water factory, to make me some water. It creates three streams of water which I can blend to make most any water for a given tank. So every tank gets custom water, twice daily, automated from this beast.

It wasn't without moaning and gnashing of the teeth, and I've had to learn incrementally what works and what doesn't and work laboriously slowly and methodically to formulate the global conditions, and then tweak each tank for optimization to their specie.

Each global test can only change parameters about 5% and takes a few weeks to take effect to observe the specie, so it's a long process. This is due to the fact that too drastic a change could crash one or more tanks.

On top of working out the global parameters for the Water Factory, I also fired up more tanks last year to accomodate more breeding projects. So it's been a busy year, just trying to get it all together and keep from accidentally killing stuff, which, alas, I didn't altogether avoid. I had some pretty good setbacks that tested my skills and nerve.

EKLiu 01-26-2011 10:28 PM

That first picture makes my head hurt. And wow on the second pic!

DKShrimporium 01-26-2011 10:32 PM

T-rex and black tigers, poison blues

I started off with some breeder stock and right away did an outcross generation to a batch of top "black" blue tiger females. This was to spread the genes into a "seed" population for retrieval later after backcrossing. This reduces risk of losing the genes and also injects genetic diversity into the final production population.

The initial outcross tank also resulted in some of the original breeder stock breeding to other original breeder stock, resulting in pure strain offspring. Those F1s were removed and put into a first generation production tank. The remaining outcross siblings remained in a separate tank, to produce F2s, some of which would emerge as blacks. Those blacks then would be funneled out of the outcross tank and added into the first generation production tank.

The first generation production tank is now on its own F2s and is producing solid blacks, what I call scalloped blacks, T-rex blacks, poison blues, and I think I see some T-rex poison blues coming up, too, but must wait for them to mature to be sure. Once this tank is populated up, then I'll select upper grades from it to seed the second generation production tank.

My first goal is to get a large, genetically diverse population with "black tiger" genes throughout. So the initial breeder stock included high grade dark and red eye blacks, high grade OE blacks, T-rex blacks, and one poison blue OE. Once I have enough population to split out amongst these groups, they will each be refined separately. But the first goal was a robust population with a wider gene base.

Here are some recent photos:

This first picture is a black resulted from the outcross sibling cross in the outcross tank. Neither parent was black, but both were half black carriers, and a very small minority of their offspring turn out black. The next pictures are from the now first generation production tank.

DKShrimporium 01-26-2011 10:41 PM

Here is another line under development - Orange Sakura. They are a bright, slightly creamy, slightly translucent citrus-y orange. You can see the quality of color on the male. The females are nicer, still, but like to hide in the weeds, and I don't disturb them. I'll get a picture one of these days of a female...

zxc 01-26-2011 10:42 PM

Keep up DK. good luck. waiting for your black tiger 4 sale.

antbug 01-26-2011 11:06 PM

Wow! That is one crazy setup. Nice job DK.

DKShrimporium 01-26-2011 11:07 PM

Red Tigers.

I've spent the last year gathering breeding stock from about 5 sources, backcrossing to wild-type to make a seed tank, then taking the resulting F2s that were red to seed the first generation production tank with all reds. That tank is now producing its F1 generation and trickling in, but I just feel like I haven't hit the sweet spot with them, yet. I think I'm not doing well, and yet I do see offspring of different sizes in there. So I'm hoping to get these guys up and flying in the next months. They are a beautiful shrimp when they are happy - striped with day-glo scarlet.

DKShrimporium 01-26-2011 11:29 PM

Last month, I fired up the beginnings of SSS black and red tanks. Those will take about a year to proof the lines.

I couldn't get very many out of the weeds to eat, as they don't like their veggies (especially olive green freezer burned garden swiss chard) as much as their junk food with shrimp attractants and pheromones built-in! I'll try to get a better picture when more come out next junk food feeding.

avandss 01-26-2011 11:44 PM

wow

swissian 01-27-2011 12:04 AM

Your shrimps are amazing!

justin182 01-27-2011 12:13 AM

Nice setup!!! Great shrimps!!! Can't wait to see more DK!!!

Are those just regular substrate, or are they some special ones that buffer the water? Beside leaf litter, what leaves are those in the last pic?

Moe 01-27-2011 12:43 AM

Impressive setup DK!

sandie 01-27-2011 01:27 AM

that all looks amazing...

snausage 01-27-2011 02:28 AM

Those crs have awesome white coloration and I can't wait until you get a line of SSS going.

FriendlyNeighbor 01-27-2011 05:09 AM

I...love...your...setup!

...and I want your shrimp.