The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Planted Nano Tanks (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   My two, 2 gallon nano tanks (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12334)

Aphyosemion 12-10-2004 11:18 PM

My two, 2 gallon nano tanks

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I just got full membership, so I wanted to share my two little desktop tanks. Keep in mind that neither of them are fully grown out yet, so they are both works in progress. Both tanks are loaded with shrimp, though you can't really see them in the pics. I haven't been able to get good "in tank" shots, due to ignorance of how to use our 5.2 megapixel digital camera. Hopefully in the future, I will be able to.
Desktop 1 has about a dozen and a half juvenile ghost shrimp and some baby guppies and desktop 2 has about a dozen cherry shrimp.
Edit: Oh yeah, if you look carefully at tank 1, you will notice baby's tears growing out of my filter above water. That actually happened by accident, as a clipping got lodged in the filter outflow and started growing.
-Aphyosemion

Mavvy 12-10-2004 11:33 PM

Wow! BOTH look really good!!

Aphyosemion 12-11-2004 12:16 AM

The tank labeled Desktop 2 will have a curtain of didiplis diandra along the back when it is fully grown out. For now it is a little spotty, since the didiplis is growing rather slowly.
-Aphyosemion

Jay Why 12-11-2004 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphyosemion
...For now it is a little spotty, since the didiplis is growing rather slowly.
-Aphyosemion

Mind telling what your light/co2 situation/and if you use ferts? I just finished
a planted 2gal hex - until I add some moss or grass of some sort. 25w compact flourescent, diy 1litre co2, and I'll pick up some Flourish for ferts in a few days or so.

Oh yeah - nice looking tanks!

trenac 12-11-2004 12:49 AM

Very nice little tanks :proud:

Aphyosemion 12-11-2004 01:16 AM

The tanks are JBJ desktop tanks that I bought on a 50% off sale at my LFS (so I bought 2). The lighting is a 13w, 6500k JBJ light that came with the tank. I use the Nature C02 yeast system that is just a little 20 oz or so canister that you could make out of a 20oz pop bottle. These two tanks are the only ones I don't add ferts to, because I cycle some of the water every day and I am being careful not to cause a big algae bloom. They will be more impressive when they grow out, especially when the branchy riccia that I have begins to get about an inch or 2 high and blends together.
-Aphyosemion

Mavvy 12-11-2004 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Why
Mind telling what your light/co2 situation/and if you use ferts? I just finished
a planted 2gal hex - until I add some moss or grass of some sort. 25w compact flourescent, diy 1litre co2, and I'll pick up some Flourish for ferts in a few days or so.

Oh yeah - nice looking tanks!

Where'd you get the 25W CF?

ming 12-12-2004 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphyosemion
The tanks are JBJ desktop tanks that I bought on a 50% off sale at my LFS (so I bought 2). The lighting is a 13w, 6500k JBJ light that came with the tank. I use the Nature C02 yeast system that is just a little 20 oz or so canister that you could make out of a 20oz pop bottle. These two tanks are the only ones I don't add ferts to, because I cycle some of the water every day and I am being careful not to cause a big algae bloom. They will be more impressive when they grow out, especially when the branchy riccia that I have begins to get about an inch or 2 high and blends together.
-Aphyosemion

Is the CO2 going into the filter intake?

Aphyosemion 12-12-2004 05:20 AM

No, in the one tank, I have a little C02 ladder hidden behind the Myca. In the other tank I just run the C02 hose into the tank and down the corner and let it bubble. You don't need that much C02 for tanks this small.
-Aphyosemion

Jay Why 12-12-2004 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavvy
Where'd you get the 25W CF?

Thats the output - its 4w input. (The smallest, spiral
compact flourescent with a candelabra base I could
find. From bulbs.com)

fishyboy 12-12-2004 02:28 PM

no no no.. it's = to 25 watts INC maybe but it's only 4 watts FLO

kzr750r1 12-12-2004 06:54 PM

Nice Tanks

I like this style of tank. Too bad it seems they have abandond this style in favor of the enclosed nano cubes.

What is the filter your using? I have a 2.5 g jar I'm going to use and need a little filter like this...Red Sea? or Azoo?

Buck 12-12-2004 10:34 PM

Quote:

Well, I just got full membership, so I wanted to share my two little desktop tanks
. Congrats on the membership, now you can show off all the work... the lil nano's look sharp. :proud:

Wasserpest 12-12-2004 10:50 PM

Good start, but... needs... background... please...

Don't have to get fancy, a piece of black or blue carton, or some cloth, or a mirror, or...

With the reactor behind it the nice aquascape turn into something... uh, a little futuristic looking.

Jay Why 12-13-2004 12:30 AM

Ima Duhmass

...that loud splat/smacking sound was my hand hitting my forehead.

That was the final connection I wasn't making - and was afraid I was
missing. Ok - all makes sense now. Anyways - the CFL is wayyyyyy
better than the little 4w incandescent that came with it. Plants are
almost moving in front of my eyes.

Thanks for the clue fishyboy! Heh ... I feel like such a newb...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishyboy
no no no.. it's = to 25 watts INC maybe but it's only 4 watts FLO