The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Pennsylvania (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Any Harrisburg Fish Guys/Gals around? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119911)

catfishmeows 11-04-2010 12:07 PM

Any Harrisburg Fish Guys/Gals around?

I've always been looking for people into the hobby thats local in my area...York, Harrisburg, Lancaster, Etc.

anyone live near by want to meet up sometime to share/talk/chat/trade?

I'd love to have someone else to talk to whos into the hobby as me

i have a 60 gal planted corner tank and a 75 Arrowana tank right now

feel free to give me a call/text
Cell: 717-343-5877
Aim: catfishmeows
Email: Ryubui@gmail.com

Tony

Svynx 12-16-2010 03:29 PM

I'm down in Hellam, which is a part of York. No tank running yet, but it's set up and waiting for my plants to arrive.
Joel

GitMoe 12-16-2010 03:30 PM

About an hour east in Norristown...

orchidman 12-16-2010 10:55 PM

im near h-burg too. are there any good lfs around? besides that fish place? we should trade some stuff. too bad i dont have stuff to trade, guess ill just have to buy. i dont like shipping stuff

GitMoe 12-17-2010 03:36 AM

Do you need a better place than That Fish Place? Soooo good...

Sent from my Tricorder using TapaTalk Pro

orchidman 12-17-2010 04:05 AM

I was looking for something closer I'm on the west shore-right across the river

chrisnif 12-17-2010 04:07 AM

Ha haha, I'm down in NC, transplanted from NJ shore, and even I know you don't get much better than TFP. I'm looking to start a place like that down here :)

orchidman 12-17-2010 04:24 AM

Wow! They must be pretty good then. I'm not looking for someplace better, just someplace that is good enough that is closer

chrisnif 12-17-2010 07:11 AM

Seriously, if you've never been there you don't even know. Their fish room is like the size of an entire petco/petsmart, last time I was there they had a cool ray/horseshoe crab touch tank. Sadly they used to be even better than they are now, before the switch to "that pet place" when they were JUST fish.

Piggy back it with a weekend trip to Lancaster for some amish stuff and you'd be just fine.

kevmo911 12-17-2010 07:18 AM

Fish and Amish stuff. Mmmmmm...

billfromreading 12-21-2010 06:11 PM

Hi, I'm over in the Reading area. There doesn't seem to be a local club in this area. The closest is Lancaster and Bucks County. Both are pretty hard to get to for weekday evening meetings from here however.

There used to be a Planted Tank club in the Philly suburbs that met on Saturdays as well, but it disbanded a couple of years ago.

I'd be interested in meeting up with any like minded hobbysts for a good conversation and such.

Svynx 01-19-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GitMoe (Post 1230424)
Do you need a better place than That Fish Place? Soooo good...

Sent from my Tricorder using TapaTalk Pro

Do I need a better place? Absolutely. Yes, if you are going for dry goods, it's a great place to buy from. Prices are good, and the selection and stock levels are too. I personally don't trust the livestock though. I work close by, so a trip during lunch happens quite often. I also live close by, so a trip after work happens quite often as well, which means I get to see how it looks before and after cleaning. I've talked to a number of the staff and there are two (now only one) that I will trust with the questions I have. Everytime I go in I look at both the fresh and saltwater areas. I can't walk out of there without counting all the dead fish. Their coral frag tanks are always covered in algae. I understand that it is a business, and that it should be considered a big box store. It wasn't always like that. They are a big reason why all the smaller fish/pet stores are out of business. Tony's went out not to long ago. I loved that little place. It was ran by a guy who made a little on the top, but it was more of a hobby for him. The quality of livestock and the store in general showed how much he loved what he was doing.

shadetreeme 02-12-2011 07:11 PM

Hi all.... I am in New Cumberland.
I hit TFP at least once a month because the selection is awsome.

I also like Zootopia in harrisburg. It is a small shop and the owner realy knows his stuff. They do not have the selection that a larger store will, but they can get whatever you need.
Not alot of plants, but gets some cool stems in sometimes.

I just stopped by Gettys in York for the first time yesterday. They have a nice fish room. When I was there it was a little bare, but he said that it was delivery day.
Not much in the way of plants, but still a nice place.

I am working on a couple of tanks right now and woul also like to get with other local people to share ideas.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/shadetreeme

Zootopia Petz - (717) 558-7387
7420 Derry St, Harrisburg, PA 17111

Gettys Pet Shop http://maps.gstatic.com/intl/en_us/m...ransparent.png

2908 East Market Street, York, PA 17402 (717) 755-4913

msjinkzd 02-13-2011 12:22 AM

I miss tony's :(

In york. I started importing shortly after Tony's went out of business. There are quite a few of us in the York area.

shadetreeme 02-13-2011 02:33 AM

Importing??? From where??? I never got to Tony's... I have heard that it was cool. Do you ever go to Gettys?? I have the feeling he would be willing to get whatever you want.