The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Tank Journals (
-   -   15 Gallon: Long & Low. Scarlet Badis & Red Cherry Shrimp (

SkyGrl 10-29-2010 08:27 AM

15 Gallon: Long & Low. Scarlet Badis & Red Cherry Shrimp
well this is my first serious planted tank.. my first tank is a low light 40 gallon that was going to be my centre piece... BUT due to unforseeable issues.. i just cant justify putting more money in this tank.

so onto the new project. 15 gallon long.. shrimp tank so far.

bought the tank at an ACE auction 1$
co2 regulator 35$
flame moss 8$

as of yet:
no substrate
no filter
no co2

the tank needs some work.. a reseal and a REALLY good scrubbing, paint removal, and label removal. the reseal is a write off.. The bf has resealed his share of tanks, the 140, the 110, the 170.... lol i think im covered there.

i have a large supply of cherry shrimp waiting for me at a friends house until im ready to go... :) Thanks Candice!!! :wink:

well ill update soon..

sewingalot 10-29-2010 08:42 AM

Sweet! The 15 gallons is my favorite tank size. I love mine, it's the perfect everything. Subscribing to this so I don't miss updates!

problemman 10-29-2010 08:45 AM

You got some work a head of you there.a razor blade will be your best friend in this. Tagging along fit help and just to watch

SkyGrl 10-29-2010 08:45 AM

i do have some surprises coming.. im sure! :) i am really excited about this tank.. im not a huge tank fan.. even tho i have mostly big ones. yay small water changes!!!

the razor blades are covered!! got a supply to last me a long time.

ps. i love 15s too <3

Rion 10-29-2010 09:06 AM

Wow, that was a nice price for Rasbora Heteromorpha. I hope the tank isn't scratched under that grime though. Looking forward to seeing it fixed up, filled, and planted!

SkyGrl 10-29-2010 09:10 AM

meeh if its scratched ill replace the panels... i have enough extra glass laying around and a guy i know at a glass company so i can get it cut for dirt cheap!.. its not what you know its who you know! lol! ill clean it up as best i can tomorrow if i have time... take some pics.. decide on the panels that stay and which go... reuse the old panels for lids! woo hoo recycle!

sewingalot 10-29-2010 09:57 AM

I've heard of people using CLR with great success on the calcium deposits. Have you thought about trying it out especially since you are resealing the tank?

snausage 10-29-2010 01:11 PM

You can't beat a $1 rimless tank!

I'm fairly certain that once the planted tank bug bites you, you'll find plenty of reasons to spend more money on the tank.

SkyGrl 10-29-2010 05:14 PM

aaaaaa CLR my favorite cleaning product! ive cleaned up many cheap tanks that have alot of "deposits" :D thats why i got them so cheap.. i really cant pass down a good deal. couple weeks ago i drove 2.5 hours to pick up a 170 tank and stand for 200$... how could you not!!! lmao... maybe that why we have so many huge tanks!

hahaha yeah im sure i can find ALOT of ways to spend lots of money on stuff.. i want a really nice stand... good plants are not cheap in canada... and hard to find.. some times you luck out and find an ad for clippings... most great plants are in permanent homes so you just hope for clippings. :)

sewingalot 10-29-2010 06:46 PM

After cleaning that up, you could resell that for some change. Of course, that would be really difficult. :) Sucks about not being able to find plants cheap up there. But I am sure you will make do with your creativity. :)

Matty 10-29-2010 09:03 PM

I've been wanting a rimless tank. Jealousy sets in.

deleted_user_6 10-29-2010 09:15 PM

Also, for the grime, distilled white vinegar works quite well. The paint might be a PITA to scrape off, but I am sure you got it covered. I'm not sure if acetone is a no no or not for aquarium clean up.
Either way, this is a unique tank for sure! Looking forward to seeing it all fixed up.
not sure if this suits the vision for your scape, but if you need some black river stone, I can hook you up :proud:
Man.. I should have asked that before I just sent out the other stuff. *facepalm*

SkyGrl 10-29-2010 11:55 PM

lol im doing black sand... no rocks.. mix n match isnt for me :P im using acetone for the paint... you have to to get a good seal for silicone.. clean surface FTW!!! :P

SkyGrl 11-02-2010 10:44 PM

well here is the clean tank... after an hour of scrubbing with CLR, comet, and acetone.. its ok looking... barely any scratches and the ones that are on the tank are mostly on the bottom..

im going to have to replace the one side ( the bottom corner is cracked) i couldnt see it with all that junk on it.. and i still didnt get it all clean.. and the back of the tank will have to be replaced there is a small chip at the top...

i have to say this tank must have been slapped together.. it was NOT level.. at all... hahahaha one edge of the bottom was sticking out.. ha...

i figure that i will finish cleaning it all when everything is ripped apart before it gets put back together.

crack on bottom corner

chip on same pane

chip on back

full shot

audi pissed that i put her in there

well the bf comes home this weekend so ill be ripping this apart and putting it back together i hope. depends on how much time we have.. 3 days off it a short time to get a lot done.

im picking up an Ehiem 2232 this weekend to. YAY!

deleted_user_6 11-02-2010 10:55 PM

I love the dimensions on that tank. It seems like 15 is the magic number lately. I've seen two other tanks in 15(not the low wide dimensions like this tank), and they all have something enchanting about them. Should make an excellent shrimp habitiat.

Is your cat named "Audi"? That's cool. Is it for the Latin meaning, or the awesome cars? Or maybe short for something?