The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Florida (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Orlando Area LFS (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=114049)

Tacct 08-16-2010 05:34 PM

Orlando Area LFS

So it seems like all the posts related to the Orlando area have gotten pretty old. Went through some posts to try and find some freshwater LFS.

Added some to a google map

So if anyone has more locations or know of a listed location that no longer exists post it here and hopefully we can keep an updated list.

blindkiller85 02-05-2011 03:41 PM

I know this is old but it's good information to post anyways. These are the ones I go to.

Aquaria Studio - 504 N. Alafaya Trail Suite #112 Orlando FL 32828( next to buffalo wildwings at waterford lakes)
has both fresh and saltwater

Ocean Blue Aquarium - 4720 Aloma Ave winter park FL 32792

Fishy Business - 140 South Ronald Reagan BLVD, Longwood FL 32750

demonr6 03-17-2011 04:37 PM

I have been to Fishy Business and it is a haul for me living in Winter Garden. How are the other two?

Paleboy 03-31-2011 03:36 AM

I was in Orlando last week and was sad to see that Ocean Blue was no longer there.

Tacct 04-02-2011 06:23 AM

Really, the one on Aloma? Their other store, Aquaria Studio, in Waterford is still open. I stop by to look around whenever im nearby but their prices are pretty high on some of their freshwater stock so I always walk out empty handed :\ ($8 for a RCS, $7 for an otocinclus as examples)

demonr6 04-04-2011 01:19 PM

There was a store on Kirkman but they are closed as well. I went by there last week, sign is up but they cleared out.

bloo 04-04-2011 02:05 PM

Ocean Blue is still in business, it has just moved. They are now located on Aloma near St. Andrews. They are across from Publix next to the Hungry Howies. They still have some freshwater including plants, but are still primarily saltwater.

Harlequin Ram 05-04-2011 12:42 PM

Phishy biz used to have good variety of stock on cichlids and normal fish, and they still have better variety than anyone else, but they lost their primary breeder and it shows in their stock. I have talked to both so I dont know which side to believe, except I still know the primary breeder. What do you mean long haul, I drive all the way from Kissimmee.

Aquaria Studio has a small freshwater selection but they usually have some oddballs that are worth looking at. their saltwater selection is pretty cool, and they have the usual ubiquitous fish along with some oddball gems as well. Their prices are high, although with their location, can you hardly blame them?

The Petland in Waterford lakes is actually pretty good(ducks the thrown objects), i have found some good stuff there from time to time. They have a planted tank in the back which they sell fish out of and i am not sure they know what they have. I bought four small electric blue rams for $4.99 each a few months back.

If you are looking for local water Discus I can put you in touch with a local breeder in my area who raises them in our water PH 8.3 last time I checked. I have had mine for over a year with zero casualties and sickness and his prices are about 1/4 what you pay in a store. Just be prepared to talk for awhile lol.

speedy02 05-18-2011 09:56 PM

Beleave it or not the Petland by the orlando airport has a really good selection on plants and fish! Better and cheaper than fishy business! They have everything from shrimp to Arowana.

mattycakesclark 05-18-2011 11:50 PM

what kinda shrimps?

speedy02 05-21-2011 10:27 PM

They had algae eating shrimp and Cherry red shrimp. Also some feeder shrimp. Its hit or miss with the CRS.

mattycakesclark 05-21-2011 10:28 PM

Whoa. That is interesting. I only know of one shop up here with even grass shrimp/feeder shrimp.

demonr6 05-23-2011 02:11 PM

Petland by the airport?? On 436??

speedy02 05-23-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonr6 (Post 1397619)
Petland by the airport?? On 436??

Yes! here's the address.

3920 South Semoran Boulevard
Orlando, FL 32822-4006
(407) 381-5777

demonr6 05-29-2011 08:06 PM

I was just out there at Petland yesterday. Not bad, they have some tanks other than All Glass you see at PetSmart and Petco. I still was not able to source Seachem Purigen locally which I was hoping they had. Plant selection was okay but Fishy Business has more variety. The fish selection is not bad. No inverts though. They stopped carrying them because they had RCS in and about ten were purchased and the rest died. They said they do not have the proper set up for inverts other than ghost shrimp but we all know where their doom is meant for. The person I spoke to said they can get RCS, bee shrimp and a couple of others but special order and only on Wednesdays when their supplier comes in to the store since they will not hold it and the price per shrimp is still more expensive than going through someone on the forum who is reputable. I did see they carry the Fluval Ebi which I have not seen locally. The guy I spoke to said they carry the full Fluval line so they can order anything in unlike PetSmart which carries Fluval but only what corporate dictates. They are really nice though so I will go back and check them out again.