The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   What is the best way to ship trumpet snails (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=113569)

familyman03 08-09-2010 06:21 AM

What is the best way to ship trumpet snails

WHAT IS THE BEST AND MOST COST EFFECTIVE WAY TO SHIP MALAYSIAN TRUMPET SNAILS?:help:

mordalphus 08-09-2010 06:43 AM

in a small flat rate box or a padded cell envelope, packaged in a breather bag with a little water, then wrapped in newspaper.

familyman03 08-09-2010 07:52 PM

Why newspaper and how well do they ship like that

mordalphus 08-09-2010 08:06 PM

newspaper in case the bag leaks and for some insulation. They ship fine like that, but if they sit in a hot mailbox they're toast.

|GTO| 08-09-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mordalphus (Post 1126906)
newspaper in case the bag leaks and for some insulation. They ship fine like that, but if they sit in a hot mailbox they're toast.

This is why I always deliver to my office because the front of my house gets nothing but afternoon sun and since I am a slave and am here most of my time I get a little present while at work every time I order something.

It is air conditioned and I dont have to worry about someone stealing my packages off of my front porch.

chad320 08-11-2010 02:51 AM

I wrap them in a paper towel and use a ziploc just like plants. Never an issue. Other than burning hot porches of course.

familyman03 08-11-2010 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad320 (Post 1127847)
I wrap them in a paper towel and use a ziploc just like plants. Never an issue. Other than burning hot porches of course.

dont they need to breath through the water? If not this is probably the most cost effective approach

bannh 08-11-2010 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by familyman03 (Post 1127883)
dont they need to breath through the water? If not this is probably the most cost effective approach

No, don't need to breathe through water. I prefer to ship them in damp paper towel too. I even snip off the corners of the bag so a tiny bit of fresh air can get in. There isn't enough water to be drippy and the holes aren't big enough to allow the paper towel to dry out. In the past I have used a padded envelope and 1st class mail but if it's hot... they may cook.

KevinC 08-11-2010 04:53 PM

When I moved (south to north) cross-country three years ago, I unintentionally moved my MT snails:

I placed my driftwood and gravel in a big rubbermaid container (covered) in the back of my topper-covered pickup. Parked in a hotel parking lot for about a week (house sold sooner than we could move) then drove north (in August). Stayed at my mothers for another 5 days (i think I remember flushing the container with water while there), moved to new house and waited for aquarium to arrive. Put gravel/driftwood into tank, filled with water, and found live snails!

So any of the methods mentioned above should be fine:thumbsup:

familyman03 08-12-2010 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinC (Post 1128133)
When I moved (south to north) cross-country three years ago, I unintentionally moved my MT snails:

I placed my driftwood and gravel in a big rubbermaid container (covered) in the back of my topper-covered pickup. Parked in a hotel parking lot for about a week (house sold sooner than we could move) then drove north (in August). Stayed at my mothers for another 5 days (i think I remember flushing the container with water while there), moved to new house and waited for aquarium to arrive. Put gravel/driftwood into tank, filled with water, and found live snails!

So any of the methods mentioned above should be fine:thumbsup:

so you are saying that aquatic snails are the cockroach of aquariums!!!

If they are then I should have no problem shipping them in any way it sounds like I just need to keep them from drying out is that right