The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   California (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Anyone in Sac area ever go to Aqua Workz or Aquarium Depot? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108331)

msnikkistar 05-13-2010 04:24 PM

Anyone in Sac area ever go to Aqua Workz or Aquarium Depot?

I am moving to the Roseville area the weekend of the 4th of July holiday, and was looking for aquarium shops (outside of O street). Wanted to know if anyone has visited either of these shops as some of them are having some really good deals on rimless at the moment. Aquarium Depot is currently having a sale on their rimless tanks for $149.00 for a 18"x17"x18.25 high cube and stand combo, $199.00 for a 21"x20"x21.25" high cube and stand, and then $349.00 for a 40"x18"x22" high with stand. Not sure of the quality, but wanted to see what their ratings were, or if anyone has visited these places.

plantbrain 05-13-2010 06:55 PM

Exotic aquarium, Capitol, O st's other store(ASK THEM), etc..........

For smaller tanks, I think simply heading to AFA in SF is a better idea for the $$ and end result. There's some folks in the SF area that make higher grade ADA knock off stands etc. Cost more etc, but you will really be happier.

I'd suggest that if you go rimless.
60p ADA is about the same price.

Regards,
Tom Barr

msnikkistar 05-13-2010 07:16 PM

I know of Exotic, Capital, and O street already. I was going to head to those places right off the back, but haven't heard anything about these other two.

AFA is great, and I actually use to live in the Financial District of SF, so I have been there on a number of occasions. Having said that, ADA stuff is just out of control in price for me for what I could get somewhere else (GLA/Mr. Aqua) and although it is nice, just can't justify spending $200+ more on a 33 gallon rimless by ADA versus the others.

Who do you know make knock off ADA stands? As I am not so mechanically inclined, and would like to get one built.

RiseAbove 05-27-2010 08:42 PM

ill get back to you next week on these. hadnt heard of them, but aquarium depot is close to me, and ill head downtown for the other at some point.

plantbrain 05-27-2010 10:31 PM

The SF club has several vendors that make the Knock off stands, you can see my thread on DIY ADA light bar.

I had John in LA make my ADA knock off stand.
Top notch stuff, better than ADA.

As far as smaller tanks, I think the ADA's are still go deals till you go above the 120cm size for the 66-70 Gal. then it's better to ask LeeMar in SD. Some of the better looking custom glass rimless tanks.

Shipping a glass tank is risky.
So local markets are key.

If you can harass a local glazier to make one for you, that's the other option and what is typically done in Europe.

Regards,
Tom Barr

msnikkistar 05-28-2010 07:22 PM

Hmm, what vendors are there in SF that make the stands? Names?

antbug 05-28-2010 08:32 PM

I go to Aquarium Depot all the time. Great prices, but just an ok shop. The service on the other hand.....I think they know their prices are good and the service doesn't have to be. The rimless tanks seam nice, but I don’t know much about them. I know you can get a better deal with them if you pay with cash. Welcome to the Sac area. You'll love it up here.

boon 05-29-2010 02:08 AM

aquarium showroom was one of the store that I was directed to for ADA knockoff stands. You can go to their website and get a quote. For my ADA 60H it was going to be $400+ deliver to my house. I didn't jump on it yet since I can probably make one similar for cheaper.

As far as LFS goes, the only one that I've been to is Exotic, They have some good selection of items and fish. I only go there when I can't find something on here or just too impatient.

TK81 05-31-2010 02:25 AM

Just an fyi, there's a shop in the south part of sacramento called Jojo's aquarium that has the same exact rimless aquariums for cheaper. The 18" tanks with stands were $119 irc. If you want something a bit more custom there is a local here called Keith Grandt who makes beautiful rimless aquariums...very popular with the local saltwater and reef crowd here. He can be contacted at H2O exclusives which is another local fish shop. And as far as cabinet making goes I just found a guy on craigslist advertising his services. I can't post links but do a search under "aquarium" in the sacramento section.

RiseAbove 06-03-2010 09:23 PM

check out aqua life, they are on pacific st in rocklin. they are expanding their freshwater section, and he said should be going in a month.

msnikkistar 06-04-2010 02:56 AM

Great thanks RiseAbove! That's even closer to where I am going to be moving, or I may even move to Rocklin. Depends on what apartment I get this weekend.

sixteenforty 07-02-2010 04:26 AM

Aquarium Depot is the spot to go in Sacramento. They are currently fully stocked on their freshwater for their July 4th sale. By the way, I believe that their rimless tanks are much lower now. Definitely check them out because their service and prices will be the best in the area.

kilfrg7864 07-02-2010 05:27 AM

is aquarium depot in sac? or roseville? Im in davis but roseville is a bit far too for me to drive to just look at stock.

jinx© 07-02-2010 05:52 AM

I haven't made it to Aquarium Depot yet but I've seen their ads on Craigslist recently. I may have to plan a trip to check them out.

CL 07-02-2010 06:27 AM

I'm so jealous of you guys. We only have three "lfs" here. Petsmart, Pet supermarket, and Most Valuable Pets.
Lol.