The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Planted Nano Tanks (
-   -   2 Gallon Fish Bowl w/ Java Plants (

resonator 03-31-2010 07:42 PM

2 Gallon Fish Bowl w/ Java Plants
Just wanting to share & get some comments/suggestions.

This is a 2Gal bowl. No filtration, no heat, no lighting. Doesn't get any more simple, right?

Flora: Java Moss (attached to driftwood) and Java Fern
Fauna: A lone White Cloud Minnow. He was a transplant from a larger tank that has since crashed and been taken down. He was the only survivor from the crash and he's been seemingly content in this bowl for 6 months or so. I know his species it tolerant to room temperature and below. I guess they like flow, which of course he doesn't really get in this home :(

I want to add some Red Cherry Shrimps and maybe a snail or two.

No substrate as of right now. My weekly maintenance routine is a 50% water change.

Every few weeks or so, I put the syphoned water in a 1 gal bucket and store the plants/dirftwood/fish in it while I take the bowl out and do a thorough rinse to remove any trace gunk, fill it up to 50% with room temp tap water, then re-add the plants, driftwood/fish/old water.
Please Note the pearling is from a water change and is not the "true" pearling.

hurley0816 03-31-2010 07:48 PM

I like it alot! just put some substrate in there and it would be awesome!

PinoyBoy 03-31-2010 08:20 PM

Looks good. Atleast it's not a betta.

dacrax07 03-31-2010 10:52 PM

With some substrate, the bowl will look awesome! I recommend fine black substrate.

resonator 04-02-2010 03:46 AM

Thanks all. I got a few RCS today and added them. If I can get my hands on a small amount of black substrate, I'll add it too. I guess these shrimps.. if breeding, like to bury themselves in the stuff (?)

dj2005 04-02-2010 07:07 AM

No RCS do not bury themselves. You might be confusing the term "berried" with "buried." Berried = pregnant shrimp.

Nice looking bowl. :)

resonator 04-02-2010 03:33 PM

Heh, yes, you are right, I had "berried" and "burried" confused. And here I thought people who were writing about RCS were just poor spellers. Thanks for the clue!

inghamb87 04-02-2010 08:33 PM

Mind if I ask what the bowl is resting on (the base). It almost seems like it's gonna fall ... i know it's a dumb question but had to ask out of curiosity

resonator 04-02-2010 09:24 PM

It's a ceramic jar with the lid removed. The bowl rests inside of it well. It's nice n' heavy and it makes a really solid base and raises the bowl up for better visibility.

Cheapskate 04-03-2010 06:14 PM

this looks really nice! I love white clouds!