The Planted Tank Forum banner

Powering a Burkert 6011A

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  parker679 
#1 ·
I just purchased a Burkert 6011A from ebay and wanted to be sure I wire it correctly.

The 6011A is 24V DC, 4W.

To power it I found, also on ebay, an AC adapter that outputs 24V DC and 400mA. I just want to be sure that the amperage is enough.

Also, as far as I've read it's just a matter of splicing the solenoid wires onto the plug and I'm good to go, correct?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Hi parker679,

The output of the power supply is 9.6 amps so it should meet your power requirement. As for the installation I don't do solenoids so I will leave that part of the question to others.

#3 ·
As mentioned by Seattle_Aquarist, your adapter is fine.

To answer your second question, just take the solenoid wires, strip the insulation off the ends of the wire, do the same for the adapter, and then solder together (you can insulate with heat shrink tubing).

You can be a little more fancy and get a DIN housing for the solenoid as well, but it is not necessary.

#4 · (Edited)
Just to make sure we're on the same page, you're talking about Evilbay item #320891361633 correct? I ask only because there was another set of 6011A's available through a couple days ago that was 24V *AC*, rather than DC. But it looks like you're reading straight from the label, so it sounds like you're fine (with the adapter you mention).

It comes with the DIN connector that's identical to the one in this how-to thread: http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7783-How-to-wire-a-Burkert-type-6011-solenoid

Just follow the instructions and ignore the ground connection, and it doesn't matter which socket you screw which wire into (for DC).

Somebody who actually has one of these specific units (I know oldpunk78 does) could provide more feedback.

*edit* or, yeah, you could just splice the wires together. A wire nut would be even easier than soldering.

#6 ·
You guys are amazing, thanks!

I've done aquariums for years but only recently started with trying to properly grow plants; CO2, lighting, ferts, etc. It's great to have a place like this where people quickly reply with helpful answers.

@ Kevmo, that's the exact one I got. I know this site auto blocks evilbay links so I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post item numbers. Based on the picture I assumed it came with the DIN attached and the wires sticking out which is why I figured I'd just splice, heat shrink the individual wires then heat shrink the pair for a nice clean look. Though I guess I could pull the DIN off, remove the wires and attach the adapter directly to the DIN.

@Betta, that's a beautiful rig you have there. I've been lurking here a while, from what I've seen you do great work.

Thank you all for the quick replies.

#9 ·
I've been trolling e bay for some time looking for a burkert solenoid and this came up. 360506638666

Does the 6011A always come with 1/8 NPT ports? *Yes it does come with 1/8 ports but I can't find if they are NPT.

To power this thing, do I just need a wall wart kind of thing and attach the wires. I would REALLY like a DIN connector, it doesn't look that hard to wire it, I'm just not sure which one to get. Searching ebay, none of the ones that come up for 24V DC look anything like that Barr report link above.

Thanks

#13 ·
Well that purchase fell through, no contact from the seller. I ended up getting the item CreekBottom mentioned before realizing it mounts to a manifold. I purchased a broken 6011 from a member here to swap the bases.

My only question now is how to wire the solenoid since it's DC but has 3 wires. Any thoughts?

My apologies but I created a different post a few days ago with this question because I forgot about this post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.