The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ever seen a snake with legs? *Update-New Pics! Pg.2*

4K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Da Plant Man 
#1 · (Edited)
Well ok, hes not really a snake, he's a "Blue Tongued Skink" Very peaceful animals, he looks MUCH meaner than he is :redface: Really though I just got a new DSLR camera so I want to show some pictures that I took that I thought came out pretty well :)

And without further ado, the blue tongue :p

Tastes like log...

Caught him in a yawn :wink:

See less See more
#2 ·
Hahaha, as soon as I saw this thread title, in my mind I was like "Yeah, I have- its called a lizard..." and I was thinking I was so whitty, then I saw the pics and started to laugh.
These have always been one of my favourite animals, super random with the blue tongue, ha.

#4 ·
Ya know I call it a he but I'm 90% sure its actually a girl :icon_lol: When she was on the floor and I was taking pics everytime the autofocus light came on it would shine on her face and she would stop and look at me like she was gonna kill me. Then she finally had enough and came over to "investigate" the camera. Flicked her tongue like crazy at the lens and stared at it for a while. She was probably confused as hell :D

#7 ·
Heh, really not much to update. He was already at max size (2 ft.) so he has'nt grown much, if at all, but maybe I'll take some actual quality pics tomorrow. The problem is that he's not very patient, and he's always on the move, so I have to constantly slide across the floor with him trying to get pics, which gets tiring real quick lol, not to mention its hard to get any cool angles when he himself is about half a centimeter off the ground at all times, and thats being generous lol.

And I can't pose him on a table or anything, because they don't have very good depth perception at all....so he'll go to the end of the table, stare over the edge for 30 seconds, and see's it as "Wow! My eyesight and perceptual sense is telling me this table is only an inch or two off the ground! Just a short step and a whahhhhhh! *crash*

And yes, hes tried to step off "short" tables quite a few times. I had to catch him mid-air once :icon_roll I even tried to teach him the dangers of tables and inaccurate depth perception, but he's dense....I'd let him stare over the edge....think he was about to make the right choice and step back, but nope, he'd go to step off and then I'd have to stop him from becoming the rare species of flying skink....:icon_eek:

#9 ·
Lol, see post #4...Pretty sure its actually a girl, but I call it a he, lol....

No real way to tell without probing, which can be dangerous to the animals health, so of course I won't do it....The only other way to tell is mating behavior...when he/she was at the store I got him from, he/she was lightly "bitten" on the head, which is what usually happens to the female when mating, so thats my reasoning behind why I think its a girl, but I don't really know, so I call it a he, because I can and I want to,...lol.

#10 ·
its funny to see these kept as a pet... i spent my childhood catching them, and i have had them live in the backyard of every house i have ever lived in... they are a beautiful lizard but have you ever been bitten? in the wild they are incredibly aggressive and at 2 foot long it would take a small childs finger off :) just a warning

Do you have the shingle back skink over there? they are closely related, they have the same blue tongue, but i think they are a cooler lizard and a little less common in the wild here

http://australianmuseum.net.au/image/Shingleback-Lizard-with-a-white-background/

#11 ·
its funny to see these kept as a pet... i spent my childhood catching them, and i have had them live in the backyard of every house i have ever lived in... they are a beautiful lizard but have you ever been bitten? in the wild they are incredibly aggressive and at 2 foot long it would take a small childs finger off :) just a warning

Do you have the shingle back skink over there? they are closely related, they have the same blue tongue, but i think they are a cooler lizard and a little less common in the wild here

http://australianmuseum.net.au/image/Shingleback-Lizard-with-a-white-background/
Yeah, thats gotta be funny seeing them kept as pets when theyre native to your area haha....and nope, never been bitten. He's very tame and docile. If you annoy him he just goes to sleep. I've tried tapping my finger near his mouth and poking him in his head to see how he would be with kids, etc, and all he does is closes his eyes and goes to sleep....he doesnt even bother walking away lol...They do have a strong jaw though, I've heard they can crack walnuts with it lol....

Some people do have shinglebacks, but they aren't sold in most stores....most people get them specifically by request from a breeder :icon_smil

#14 ·
Beautiful! I love snakes and reptiles and all those wonderful things that girls are supposed to hate.

I tried to find the picture I took of my Redtail boa (Hollywood) when I guess she didn't want a photo taken. She snapped at the camera just as I took the picture, and I got a good shot of the inside of her mouth. I think it's on my dead laptop though :icon_frow

Hollywood has such an aggressive attitude, no idea where it came from, and sometimes she'll act without warning. Other times she'll "hiss" (I'd call it growl, certainly doesn't sound much like a hiss to me),coil, or act tense. Over all, she only liked my fiance before she moved in with my friend, who is one of the only people I know who knows how to care for a large, aggressive snake. Or would want to, for that matter.

#18 ·
Well, I actually had time to take some pics of the skink today, so yea...:biggrin:

He wasn't actually angry, he was just yawning, but it sure does look like he was angry! lol...

Blue Tongued Skink

DSC_0728

DSC_0747

DSC_0738

DSC_0755

DSC_0737

Tank in the background lol....

DSC_0742

DSC_0734

DSC_0735

DSC_0758

DSC_0727-2

"Forget this, I'm going back to my tank!"

DSC_0744

And a very special video treat! My skink's favorite food is eggs, but unfortunately, he's not very good at catching them....hilarity ensues lol....It's in 1080p HD, but it's long so you might not be able to load it in HD depending on your computer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiju0BThhR0

#22 ·
Haha yea its pathetically funny! :hihi:

I eventually cracked the egg into a bowl for him....unfortunately he's so short I had to give him a ramp made out of a towel just so he could get his head into the bowl, lol...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hyerexpectationsphotography/5420322760/

And because I know you're all just so interested, here's an interesting look into the biology of the skinks digestive system :eek5: I love his face, haha,....puuusssshhhhhhh!......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hyerexpectationsphotography/5420368942/

#25 ·
That video is HILARIOUS! I think you should submit it to America's funniest home videos.

I want a blue tongued skink now. Here in WA, I have seen a blue tailed skink, so I must have seen his opposite.

I don't think he was cheating by pushing to the counter and trying that way ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.