The Planted Tank Forum banner

Territorial Forums

5K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  shadowcat_7 
#1 ·
Has anyone noticed that some aquaria-related forums are densely populated with extremely territorial people? As a matter of fact, the majority of them are, and that's why I love this site. We're all thick-skinned enough not to worry about stepping on each other's toes or infringing on someone's "territory of expertise".

I browse dozens of aquaria-related forums every day and more often than not, I come across with someone who has to object to everything you say. Before you know it, you find yourself wrapped up in a debate, yet the two of you aren't even disagreeing on anything. They simply don't want anyone else giving out advice on "their" forum. :roll:

I'm not going to mention names. It's not anyone that comes to this site, though.

#2 ·
I have not visited that many forums, but I have seen exactly what you have said. I find it frustrating reading through some of those forums. Good topics usually end up in bickering because of "noob" questions. My experience mainly comes from video gaming forums but I was surprised to even see this on a certain nano reef forum.
I believe this happens when small amount of people become accustomed to a forum and then become offended when it becomes overpopulated by newcomers.

This forum is great as everyone has a different level of experience with different plants. The community is slowly growing but everyone has something to offer.

#3 ·
Another thing is that we all learn pretty quickly that there is no RIGHT way to do this, there are so many particulars of water conditions and plant requirements and general approaches (ie hi tech vs low tech) that we are not too surprised when someone pops up and says "I've found another way to do that".

Sure there are gurus whom it is unwise to contradict, but they are not territorial, and IMO that sets the tone for the hobby. Perhaps that is because the planted end of aquaria is still so relatively new and therefore innovating rapidly.

#5 ·
One would be foolhardy to start a reef sandbed argument with Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. Or to try to debate fertilization with Tom Barr. But when a particular forum's "resident expert" steps in with an answer to every problem and bats off anyone else who tries to interject, it does get pretty annoying. There aren't many places like that, I do admit. Even the experts are ready to learn and be challenged.
There are somethat will never allow their ideas to be challenged, though. These are the same guys who are running Wet/Dry filters on reef tanks, LOL.

#6 ·
Yes, I know what your talking about. One of the cichlid forums I frequent and rarely now, is full of people who think they know it all. I suspect that these are people whom are around 15- 20 age group.

They use words such as Pops when they answer older people.

The funny thing is that they think they are in control of everything. The reality is that only an infantile meglomanic thinks that they are in control of anything at all! :lol:

I found that with the aforementioned site I would frequently get mad with someone over stubborn ideas, get involved and really acheive nothing at all, aside from raising some steam.

Now I only go there just to keep up to date with what is going on. If I put some advice in it is completely ignored and some person will give bad advice because they are stuck in this rules based notion and the silly person seeking the advice takes the bad advice. Next thing you know there is a thread about something they were warned against and again they take the bad advice.

So now I have given up on giving advice, after twenty years in the hobby, I discovered one thing. I know a lot less now than I thought I did twenty years ago.

This site is good because I can read all I like and learn from others mistakes and take this and apply it without getting into some debate about who can "urinate up the wall further".

Anyway I thought I would contribute to this thread.

Paul

#9 ·
Kyle, we all appreciate the time and effort is has taken to build this site and keep it running smoothly. I spend more time on this forum now then most others simply because of the friendly atmosphere and the freedom of expression.

Its nice to have a community of focussed individuals who are open minded enough to consider the opinions and suggestions of others, regardless of age or experience.

#10 ·
I am a mod/admin on 3 other boards, and I must admit that this board seems to be very well run. I think your subject matter helps you avoid problems as well. I think most aquarists that want to put the time, money and effort in to have a really nice planted tank tend to be a little older, or at least mature for their age.

One of the sites I moderate is an Oscar site (www.oscarfish.com). There is something about big fish that are capable of eating other fish that draws the teenagers in like droves. We have many problems over there. They tend to get offended when it is explained to them that they can't keep a fish that is capable of growing to 18 inches in a 10 gallon tank.

#12 ·
I agree that your theory seems very plausible. But sometimes it goes further. Some of the far advanced aquaria boards go beyond maturity and dedication and get into something more of an elitist attitude. If you don't subscribe to their opinions, you are a troll, end of story.

If I post an idea and someone thinks it isn't wise, I welcome the contradiction. It is best for every hobbyist to choose their own method of doing things. But it is also important that they hear about all of their options so they can make that decision on their own. I suppose we're just a lot less rigid and concrete here. We're fluid, hehe. How apt.

#13 ·
We also have wildly contradictory spheres of thought on how plants can grow (high light + high ferts, moderate light + soil ferts) that are not only both sucessful, but the leaders in each realm typically maintain a few tanks in the other style! How bizarre! :lol:

#14 ·
Saluki has a good point on the maturity matter. Probably teenagers have no interest in aquatic plants. I know I did not have any interest in plants just until 2 years ago! That started with my mom buying me a single plant. Now, I have shelves full of tropical plants and assorted cacti.
It takes quite a bit of patience to take care of plants of any kind. Time and patience do not seem to fit well with most children. I do not speak for all children, since I am still one =).

#15 ·
Slaigar said:
It takes quite a bit of patience to take care of plants of any kind. Time and patience do not seem to fit well with most children.
I must be :alien: an exception... with 5 years I propagated Coleus and others tropicals on my window, and with 8 I had my first planted tank(s). Where I grew up the concept of artificial/plastic plants seems a little weird, so everyone with a fish tank had real plants in them... nothing as fancy as Glosso and R wallichii of course... mostly vals and crypts and stem plants.

Anyway... I agree, maybe the possible complexity of what we are doing here separates planted tank ppl from the rest of the world :lol: Although we have our issues with pearling and streaming :p

#16 ·
Saluki said:
I am a mod/admin on 3 other boards, and I must admit that this board seems to be very well run. I think your subject matter helps you avoid problems as well. I think most aquarists that want to put the time, money and effort in to have a really nice planted tank tend to be a little older, or at least mature for their age.

One of the sites I moderate is an Oscar site ( oscarfish. com). There is something about big fish that are capable of eating other fish that draws the teenagers in like droves. We have many problems over there. They tend to get offended when it is explained to them that they can't keep a fish that is capable of growing to 18 inches in a 10 gallon tank.
Saluki, your forum fits into the category that labels everyone who don't agree with the mods as trolls. You should find the reason why your site seems to attract "immature" posters. Sometimes instead of blaming everyone else, maybe look in a different direction?

Do you really think that people will get offended if you tell them to get a bigger tank? You really seem to think that members transform into trolls just because you offer them some advise? Or is that just an excuse you made up cos you don't want to say "oh, he was banned cos he showed why activated carbon is not a must for aquarium" or "oh, he said aquarium plastic bags should be used to transfer fish and not fish nets" etc etc ..

Trolls are people who sign up to create trouble. Look over the people you have banned from your forums. Many of them have hundreds of posts with good contribution. Obviously they are not trolls. However, once they debate something that the mods/admin disagree with, that's it. Banned. End of story.

You and your gang seems get some kind of kick out of editing other people's postings into your own words and then banning them to cover up. How lame. Do let us know what are the other boards that you and your gang mods so that I can tell people everywhere not to visit them so we save ourself from future frustration.

By they way I am really surprised you didn't get to be a mod on this forum huh? :lol: Did you ask to be one? I think I know.. :lol:

#19 ·
I agree with you Gareth. I like to run mine and have fun. Yet I like them to be a bit prototypical. One of the forums I frequent got shut down for a good while b/c a bunch of grown men behaved really bad. What scale are you in?

#23 ·
Ah, what an interesting thread. This type of attitude is applicable across a wide spectrum, indeed. I've been "yelled at" for suggesting that one doesn't need a protein skimmer for reef. I have a tendency to try to qualify my statements as best I can, but ya know, sometimes I fail. I've yet to be banned from any site.. YET! (Glad y'all are letting me post after filling you in on what I do for a living.. ;) )

One thing's for sure, and you folks seem to have it very well sorted out, when so many others (O, SO many others :roll: ) are completely STUCK in this "Well, it said in this book.." or "Someone else said on your site..", that fishkeeping is just as much art as science.

Lately.. I'm into working on my Linux partition.. and oddly enough, the only real arguments I find on those boards are usually centered around that whole MS vs. Opensource debate. Clearly, if I'm still trying to get the flashplayer installed on Opera, I don't have enough to do, now do I? :lol:

#24 ·
I am on a Mountain Biking Site, and the people there are all ready to kill each other right now.

Seems to be a lot of tension in the air these days. I agree that this board is very friendly.

I have been reading for a while, and just started posting a while ago.

Good work Mr. Fender.

#26 ·
Hi, all!

I'm new to the board as well, and am currently being helped with a rather bonehead mistake I made last night. It's nice how quickly people responded without being snotty or reprimanding. This does seem like a great board to frequent!

Seamaiden said:
Lately.. I'm into working on my Linux partition.. and oddly enough, the only real arguments I find on those boards are usually centered around that whole MS vs. Opensource debate. Clearly, if I'm still trying to get the flashplayer installed on Opera, I don't have enough to do, now do I? :lol:
What distro do you run? I've been using Gentoo for about a year now :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.