The Planted Tank Forum banner

aquarium stand in raw industrial style

296K views 311 replies 116 participants last post by  Harley007 
#1 ·
i have made a few stands in what i guess is called 'raw industrial' style, like the interior of a Chipotle restaurant. i don't wish for my house to start looking (or smelling) like a Chipotle restaurant, but i like the effect in a small dose.

this one holds up a 65G Tall.

the next shot shows the corner joinery detail. these are galvanized framing connectors. the stand is rock-solid.

i have this tank all set up.r i have since added a painted and varnished plywood shelf that holds the canister filter and a couple of houseplants.

See less See more
#3 ·
That is a darn fine looking stand in my opinion. Keep the picks coming of the final product. I really want to see what this looks like finished.

Great work!

I think that is the final product.

It's definitley different. Very clean too. Good job. :thumbsup:

#9 ·
I agree about the brass supports. I would like to see the finished product with a working aquarium and all the equipment underneath. I have seen some examples of exposed working equipment where everything is organized neatly and the equipment really adds to the interest of the whole thing. That look would go especially nice with a stand like this.

#11 ·
.....I would like to see the finished product with a working aquarium and all the equipment underneath....
Me too. I understand the concept but am skeptical it can be done nicely.

#12 · (Edited)
#14 ·
thanks. aside from the sanding and several coats of varnish it was really easy to put together. this required no special skills or equipment. i cut the pieces of wood with a back saw and mitre box. it all squared up perfectly when i started screwing the connectors together.

the open shelf space with exposed everything underneath conforms to the raw industrial aesthetic.

i will try to get another picture or two. i also put some more description in my blog.

#18 ·
could you add a parts list?
there really isn't much to it. you can see most everything in that first couple photos. one design note that i would add is that the top edges of the stand should be slightly wider and longer (maybe ~1/4") than the aquarium base. while assembling, take care to make sure that the top of the stand is straight and level: i measured from the tops of those vertical 4X4.

i think that the wood is western red cedar. make sure to use cured wood, not the still-green stuff. naturally, the wood is sanded and finished before assembly. i used an oil-based polyurethane as sanding sealer and waterproof finish.

i did find some screws that looked nice with the galvanized connectors. i will try to post a picture of those. the fastener is made by Strong Tie: model #RTC42. i bought them at Home Depot. they also have a similar one that accepts just 2X4's: model #RTC44.

i have a little bit more on my blog:

http://hydrophytesblog.com/?p=214

hydrophyte

#19 ·
Check local "Hardwood Lumber" stores in your area for unique
wood selections too.

Lowes is going to have oak and pine and thats it.

Some extra money spent on some exotic wood like Cherry
or hydrophyte's Red Cedar can go a long way in giving your stand
that extra touch.

#21 ·
that red cedar is used primarily for building decks, so you should be able to find something comparable.

i bought the wood at Menards, which is a Wisconsin-based chain of stores similar to Home Depot or Lowes, except that they have a much better lumber yard.

hydrophyte

#24 ·
The look and feel is outstanding although I am not a big fan of keeping the filter and other equipments in open. But that is just a personal choice.

From a functional side, do you plan to keep the center open and support the tank base only on the edges or do you plan to lay a plank or something on the stand?

#25 ·
this is an update with some recent pictures. i include several views to demonstrate specifics of stand build.

here is the whole shebang with tank and green salad on top. all of the tank system components and stand--less the Teklight--were easy to find and pretty economical.

that Echinodorus flower spike is reaching way out into room. the other plants still need to grow in some more. i used Riparium Supply stuff to plant all of the emergent plants. the underwater plants are planted into pool filter sand. they get bi-weekly ferts and Excel every day. the underwater plants do more or less ok like this because the water is mostly shaded by the emergent stuff.

the aquarium is an Aqueon 65G with the top rim popped off. well, it didn't exactly pop off. i wrestled with it for the better part of an afternoon and i was lucky not to slice my hand wide open.

this is view under stand with Filstar, houseplants, electrical and chicken.

...more detail. the only equipment under here is the filter, a powerstrip and timer. the shelf is a simple rectangle--note gap on each end. i used "sanded" plywood for shelf, using primer as sanding sealer, then a layer of paint and finally several coats of oil-based polyurethane. this gave me a nice finish

this shot is from beneath shelf. four of these brackets hold it up.

#59 ·
this is an update with some recent pictures. i include several views to demonstrate specifics of stand build.

here is the whole shebang with tank and green salad on top. all of the tank system components and stand--less the Teklight--were easy to find and pretty economical.

that Echinodorus flower spike is reaching way out into room. the other plants still need to grow in some more. i used Riparium Supply stuff to plant all of the emergent plants. the underwater plants are planted into pool filter sand. they get bi-weekly ferts and Excel every day. the underwater plants do more or less ok like this because the water is mostly shaded by the emergent stuff.

the aquarium is an Aqueon 65G with the top rim popped off. well, it didn't exactly pop off. i wrestled with it for the better part of an afternoon and i was lucky not to slice my hand wide open.

this is view under stand with Filstar, houseplants, electrical and chicken.

...more detail. the only equipment under here is the filter, a powerstrip and timer. the shelf is a simple rectangle--note gap on each end. i used "sanded" plywood for shelf, using primer as sanding sealer, then a layer of paint and finally several coats of oil-based polyurethane. this gave me a nice finish

this shot is from beneath shelf. four of these brackets hold it up.

There is no doubt the simplicity of the stand is what makes it great! Do NOT be surprised you start to get calls and get commissioned to make these for others. I just put my 3 largest wood tools for sale, I'm reconsiderring taking the add down from CL! OK, next, what light is that?

#36 ·
Your stand is absolutely gorgeous. But one thing would make me worry, the whole weight of the tank is supported mainly be the 4 legs. The 2x4' between the legs are only held up with the screws, therefore putting alot of pressure on these screws.
This might be OK in your case since you have a terrarium, therefore not as heavy as a fully filled aquarium. But this design would worry me on a stand that should carry a filled tank.

#38 ·
Actually, the corners support essentially all the weight. I have a wrought iron stand and the front/back/left/right bars bear very little, if any weight.

#37 ·
This is fantastic. I love the shelf with the plant underneath.

I am going to build one of these in a teak & brass nautical/yacht scheme. The exposed brass and steel CO2 equipment will blend right in.

Just for fun, send the photos to HGTV. I would not be surprised if their designers took an interest.

Nice job. :thumbsup:

#41 ·
this looks awfully rustic as a post right after Marcin's excellent work, but i just put together another stand with galvanized framing connectors, 2X4's and 4X4's.

this one is for a 55G. i have a few more observations to add.
You're kidding me? I love your stand. I am thinking of building a TV stand like this. I would like if the metal corners rust, that would look awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.