The Planted Tank Forum banner

Lara's 12 gallon long 'Tango'--new pic 2/9

32K views 91 replies 49 participants last post by  allknighter 
#1 · (Edited)
New tank! This will be replacing my saltwater tank that I didn't enjoy as much as I had hoped. I guess I'm just a freshwater girl :D

Here's the plan

Tank
Mr. Aqua 12 long
35.4"x8.3"x9.4"

Lighting
Coralife T5NO fixture--42 watts

CO2
Pressurized CO2 with Hagen mini Elite as a diffuser

Fertilizer
EI dosing

Substrate
sand

Flora
???

Fauna
Apistograma trifasciata trio
???

I just decided on an eheim 2213 for the filter. I'm going to put the intake on one side of the tank and the spraybar (cut to fit) on the other side of the tank. I hope there won't be a lack of flow.

The tank will be arriving Tuesday, so I'll start taking pictures then. Stay tuned for that :icon_mrgr

My two important decisions to make are about a dither fish for the tank and the 'scape! For dither fish, i was thinking of dwarf cories and maybe some boraras. I know this is only 12 gallons though and I'm afraid that I'm maxed out stockwise with just the apistos.

For the 'scape...I just don't know what to do with this super long tank! It's an awesome tank, but I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. I'm considering UG as a carpet. I definitely need to create hiding places for the apistos though, so I don't want to do an Iwagumi-style tank.

I'm open to ideas and suggestions!

See less See more
#57 ·
Yes, I will have some new pics up in a few days! I had a terrible BBA and other algae outbreak, but I cranked up the CO2 and it's almost gone now! The HC is spreading nicely, but there are some things that aren't working that I will change. I'll post pics and then discuss what I like and don't like. Keep an eye out for the pics!

#61 ·
I think that the 2213 is a teenie bit too much flow, but I have a feeling that a 2211 wouldn't be enough. The problem is that there aren't any fish in the tank, so I haven't gotten to see what they look like swimming in that current.

And now...UPDATE!! Here are some pics I took yesterday. The bubbles are all CO2. I cranked it up and all the algae went away. I'm sooo happy. There are definitely some things I need to fix, but the HC is growing nicely and I love the two types of Staurogyne. The windelov fern kind of died on me, but the rhizomes are ok. It should grow back nicely. I think i need to take out the DHG on the left side. and the right side needs something different. the moss doesn't look good, and the Rotala 'goias' didn't do what I wanted it to. Anyway, please let me know what you think!

#64 ·
Well... there weren't any responses or comments after my last update, but here's another one anyway. I have a huge snail problem, and I plan on taking care of that starting today. I'm just gonna pick out every snail I can for a week or so. Then I'll throw in an assassin snail or two.

Still not sold on the right side. I definitely want to change it, but i'm not sure what to do with it. I'm open to suggestions! Also, I plan on putting some fish in here soon. Haven't decided what yet, though I think I'm leaning toward a pair of dwarf cichlids--either apistos or blue rams.

#72 ·
I just thought I'd give a little update on this one. I fixed the right side, thought I think I'm going to tweak it one last time. Also, the left will be due for a trim really soon. Oh! And here's the stocking for now:

Trio Apistogramma trifasciata
8 Celestial Pearl Danios (temporary)
10 Boraras brigittae

Pics!

CPDs:

A lovely female apisto:

The super awesome male apisto:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.