The Planted Tank Forum banner

What's the best HOB for a nano?

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  bankruptjojo 
#1 ·
The filter that came with my 5 gallon acrylic sucks... I need a new one. What do you guys/gals recommend?

#3 ·
for tanks that size i usually use sponge filters. i do have a 8 gallon betta tank that i use a zoomed canister filter on... just a suggestion, if not id get the smallest aquaclear filter.

keep in mind if this is for small fish or shrimp they can get sucked into the filter if there is no pre filter sponge on the intake.

#4 ·
It's a bowfront, about 16" long, 8 deep and 8 high something like that. I feel that an AC30 is a little too big, and some reviewers say the 20 isn't as good as the 30. Maybe I'll just do a sponge filter, after all it isn't meant to be a show tank.

#6 ·
if you think the 30 is to strong get the 20. my shrimp tank has a 20 on it and its fine. i guess the 30 will give you more room for media but i always use 2 sponges and some bio media...

#10 ·
this is a 5 gallon tank how much media does it really need? a AC 20 is over kill... he is worried about the flow being to strong.... yes you can adjust it but only so much.

#11 ·
Flow turned all the way down on an AC30 is so low that you could run it on a tank only six inches tall with no problem at all.

It's also not about the amount of filter media you have but the kind you have - more room gives you more options. Purigen comes in a 100ml pillow that's tough to fit in an AC20 without removing existing media. The AC30 is also much more quiet than the AC20... and you can use an AC20 impeller if you so desire - further cutting flow.

#13 ·
Flow turned all the way down on an AC30 is so low that you could run it on a tank only six inches tall with no problem at all.

It's also not about the amount of filter media you have but the kind you have - more room gives you more options. Purigen comes in a 100ml pillow that's tough to fit in an AC20 without removing existing media. The AC30 is also much more quiet than the AC20... and you can use an AC20 impeller if you so desire - further cutting flow.
Once again, I have to agree.

#18 ·
i run two tanks with the azoo mignon 90. one is on a cylinder and the other is on a deep blue 5 partition betta tank. If you can afford the space, i recommend going a step up with an aquaclear. the water turn over will be more beneficial than any sponge filter could offer.

#20 ·
OK, but nothing wrong with a argument now and then :)

I still think a 30 would be to big for a 5g if its say a Betta tank. If its for fish that can handle current the by all means get the biggest one you can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.