The Planted Tank Forum banner

What eats glosso?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  motifone 
#1 ·
Ok, so who eats glosso?

I've had my glosso in the tank about a week and it was starting to send off new shoots. At first, a few came unrooted, but after the first couple of days, no problems. But I came home today to find an unusual number of plants uprooted and a portion of the newer growth nibbled away on some of the plants still rooted.

Not sure why the sudden interest. Maybe I didn't feed enough this morning.

Here's my list of fish. Any suspect any culprits:

Cherry Shrimp
Amano Shrimp
Ottos
SAE
Cardinals
Harlequins
Rummies
Praecox Rainbows
Bosemani Rainbows
Red New Guinea Rainbows

My guess is either the Bosemani or New Guinea. Haven't caught anyone in the act. Not the end of the world, just curious.

See less See more
#4 ·
Well, I reset the uprooted glosso last night. I awoke this morning, everything seemed fine. But in the evening after coming home from work, a bunch more plants were uprooted and others chewed on. Pretty unsightly. Even if the Amanos were chewing, there's no way they could have uprooted them like that -- some of them were pretty big pieces of glosso.

Oh well. I suspect the Rainbows. But I'm going to keep the Rainbows regardless. I'll either get rid of the glosso or confine it to a smaller area and put some screen over it so that it can get established.

Not sure why the sudden interest in glosso after a week of no interest. Only change has been adding Excel.

Nutty fish.

#5 ·
My Buenos Aries love glosso and microswords. The only other fish that I have in common with you is a SAE. I know he will eat fish food, but I have never caught him munching on plants. If I were to guess, I would say all or one of your rainbows. Might want to feed them a little more food and see if you can keep their minds off of the glosso.

#7 ·
It might be the boesemanis. I have some in my tank and they won't stay away from The HC i'm trying to grow in there.

#8 ·
Well, I used some black screen from Home Depot I had lying around. I replanted the Glosso that wasn't chewed on and placed a layer of screen over about a 2x6" area of glosso. It is now safe and sound, and is taking root without interference from the Rainbows. It still seems to get plenty of light.

It's not real pretty to look at and is only a temporary solution until the glosso gets hold. I also did the same to a recent batch of HC I received. The other benefit of the screen is it keeps the plants rooted in the substrate. No slipping free and floating to the top.

And the smaller shrimp love to crawl under the screen and thumb their nose at the bigger fish looming above. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.