The Planted Tank Forum banner

Low Light Nano Plants

10K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Eldachleich 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am going to be purchasing to one gallon mini hows with filters and 7 watt light bulbs included in each tank. So, as I am a beginner, I was wondering if you guys could reccomend some easy care low light plants that would not overgrow a one gallon. By the way, the new tanks are for my bettasand I will most likely be getting a mini heater for each one to regulate the temperature around 76-78 F.

Thanks,

tetrabettaguy97

#2 ·
FWIW, the smallest volume of water that can be maintained at a stable temperature with one of our hobbyist-grade heaters is about 2.5 gallons, so I personally wouldn't recommend keeping bettas in tanks that small. I'd recommend keeping them as plant and inverts only.

Some good plants to try would be Anbuias nana 'petite,' Marselia minuta, Echinodorus tenellus, Cryptocoryne parva, C. lucens, and Rotala rotundifolia. All IMO stay small enough to keep "in scale" with your tank and can do well in low light.

#12 ·
These are the smallest heaters I am aware of

http://www.hydor.it/index.php/prodotti/show/famprod/10/list/3

But there is an issue - a heater will only raise the temperature of the water a certain amount above the ambient temperature. the higher the wattage the greater the increase that can be maintained.

The smaller the tank, the quicker it heats and cools - meaning the water temp will be constantly changing.

#14 ·
In my one gallon,
I have marsilea, crypt parva, creeping jenny, moss (fissidens), water wisteria, salvinia, and anubias nana petite...
Going to be adding some pennywort and something else as soon as I figure out what.
If you wanna see pics go to the last page in the link in my sig.
I wouldnt recommend a betta in a one gallon. Bettas are pretty big and active.
I have shrimp in mine..
As for a heater I have a marina mini 10 watt from petsmart. It keeps my tank at a really stable 78.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.