The Planted Tank Forum banner

Nerite Injury

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Soothing Shrimp 
#1 ·
I made a thread before this that has long since died, but now I have better info & photos to provide.

Few days ago I noticed my nerite getting real inactive and it looked like the body inside the shell had swollen, or something along those lines. I now have reason to believe I'm looking at a collapsed mantle or something similar. The fact she has been alive for almost a week with this tells me it may not be fatal and can be treated or mended, but obviously I'm a novice at this and there isn't a lot of information on the internet related to snail injuries.

Params are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate 0. 7.6 pH. 77 temp stable. I dose excel, comprehensive, iron & equilibrium for calcium supplement. I don't notice any severe erosion or issues with the shell, only the body.

Sometimes she oozes some white goop (shown in second image). I don't know what this is. It looks like snot.

I do have a very very minor pond snail (or some snail) infestation from plants. I only ever see 2-3 crawling around at any given time, and I never let them get bigger than the size of a.... tiny toenail before picking them out. I read that certain strains of snails like to crawl into bigger snails and eat them from the inside out. I don't see any indication of this being the case but if there are opinions I would like to hear them.

Here are the photos:

image 1
image 2

Those were from Friday. This morning she isn't hanging around the water line anymore and is down near her usual spot in the corner, and when she's underwater it looks kind of worse. I will upload more photos once my roommate wakes up and I can turn some lights on.

I'd really like some help. I know she's "just a snail" but I love her. :(

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok I really need help now... :(

I came back from my outing with my roomie (she is returning to Japan tomorrow) and Ruthie is now on her back on the floor of the tank, oozing white stuff.

I'm preparing a shallow QT tank... about 2 inches deep. With API stress coat and Kordon's Fish Protector... She is still alive, retracts at movement. Pleeeaaasseee help!

#7 ·
Thanks. :) Any help is appreciated, I've tried scouring every corner of Google for information so anything I missed wasn't in my immediate, frantic reach.

She is moving now... chilling by the heater in the QT bowl.

I'm having such bad luck with critters lately... 2 frogs 2 bettas dead, and now lil Ruthie. The deaths were for the most part completely unrelated to each other... First frog hopped out of the tank when I wasn't looking, other got pretty adventurous around the water line and gave herself bloat. First betta I had evidently bought already sick (naivety at its best) and then my second one just died from something... odd (missing scales - healed up, then died). I'm not going to my LFS for bettas now... it seems their supplier may not be keeping living conditions up to par. The frogs were great until they got adventurous. I had minnows before everything else, those things THRIVED - I had fry getting eaten by my frog a while after I got rid of them. And Ruthie was always crawlin' around being all satisfied all the time.

Basically, I really don't want her to die because this is starting to get ridiculous. My plants are thriving like crazy but my critters are having it rough and it makes me incredibly sad because I don't know what's going wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.