The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ryan's ADA 10g (minibow shrimp tank pics)

10K views 54 replies 21 participants last post by  SearunSimpson 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally after 6 months in the garage I am finally going to set up my first ADA tank.

Currently at water cycling/clearing phase. I will post updates soon.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you Seds. Well see how this one will go, it will be a bit harder because everything will be smaller now, but i want the tank to look bigger by having smaller plants and smaller pets. I got hemianthus callitrichoides ready, the HM and some rotala from my other tank. I am planning adding shrimps, school of cardinals and probably some CPD's or boraras brigattae in this tank.

#7 ·
Hi there sliver, i am so glad someone is inspired by my very first planted tank :icon_smil. The tank really went through so many changes and i learn so much from it and i hope this new one will be good if not better than the first one. So your from the Philippines eh, do you speak tagalog?

OTOH, here's the HC, its been in my old tank for about 5 days now and already growing in the pot.

And here it is today (just planted)

Thank you Chaosmaximus for your help and advice. Ill keep it moist and humid until it is ready. I will post sketch of my plans for this tank later.

#12 ·
you're correct, bisaya and cebuano are the same. but cebuano is for cebu, and bisaya are for those other cebuano speaking cities like ours - davao.

back on topic, aquatic plants are uncommon in our place. well, not in the capital of manila, but ordering is a pain. freight charges are expensive than the plant itselves! :-(

there's an aquatic plant farm in the capital, selling almost any existent aquatic plants, but as I mentioned above, the freight makes me just stare on those pictures at this site: http://www.mypalhs.com/forums//showthread.php?t=81956

#14 · (Edited)
Wow those plants looks really nice, the anubias looks really healthy and green and nice selection too. Yea lots of stuff should be available at the capital especially in Manila, you just have to look harder at your place. I agree with problemman the stuff we got here is nothing compare to those in pics, and cost around $4 and up at LFS depending on demand and rarity of the plant. If you really like the plant, and if you can just save cash and get some, growing it shouldnt be that hard humid climate and sunlight should grow those plants easily. And once you grow lots of these plants start putting some on your tank and sell the rest at your area :p, it should be a good business for you, especially in your area where these plants cant be found :biggrin:.

#20 ·
Thanks Sara, yea ive been looking and reading about other plants that i can add, I also like the bold red ludwigia arcuata that you've mention and might find a spot for that plant. Ive been looking at other types of mosses that i can use to fit on the rocks and I really like weeping and flame moss. HM wont be able to take over HC, since i will plant HM a bit higher and away from HC (though i have to trim HM more often so it wont take over the whole tank); and the rocks will be a boundary between the two.

@FDNY911 astig ba tol? wala pang laman, siguro pag may tubig na magiging astig talaga lol.

#27 ·
I'd go ahead and fill it soon. The big benefit to growing HC emmersed is that it lets it root without being disturbed and uprooted. After about three weeks or so it's in there strong enough, and once you add water it will, in my experience, explode in growth. I've successfully set up 3 tanks with HC that way and think its the best way to go about establishing a carpet of the stuff.
I like the proposed layout for the tank, are you planning on having the moss tied to the rocks or jammed in between?

#28 ·
Hey thanks for the tip rrrrramos, i checked out at your mini tanks and they look great. The HC is ready and will be filling the tank tomorrow. Im really not sure if im going to tie it to the rocks, but i want it to hold on to rocks on its own, maybe ill stick it between rocks or tie it on a small stick and remove it later once the moss hold itself to the rocks. What is your proposed layout I like to know :)

#32 ·
Thank you. I hope it will look good as it progress. So far no algae present I am so happy :D.

@ZooTycoonMaster I will be using some of my existing stem plants from my old tank, and still looking for the other plants later if i will do rescape later on. So far, the plants are growing pretty good (will post pic soon), the rotala is turning pink to red already and the HC starting to spread horizontally at a fast rate.

I just added the cardinal tetras earlier this week and will be getting more soon, a want a big school of em for this tank. I also added few shrimps from my old tank.

Updates coming soon.

#36 ·
Jan 2010

Feb 2010

March 2010

New Updates:
Cleaned and Trimmed plants last Sat
Added young Galaxy rasboras
Moved amano shrimps from old tank
Tear down my old 20g tank
Created a tiny shrimp breeder tank
Updates and tank specs later

Looking forward on a more bushy growth later on, so far water quality is pretty good and no major algae problems. More pics and updates later on.

#39 ·
l think some pieces of drifwood would of worked really nice in the back then attach some sort of moss to it. Now if you don't want to put dw in the scape, just let it grow out for a bit and maybe you'll like the background plants filling in more since you just recently set this up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.