The Planted Tank Forum banner

Getting tired of my Eheim - ideas?

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  suprdave 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I purchased an Eheim 2215 by recommendation of you fine folks here. The purchase unfortunately has been fraught with issues.

The first one I got from Amazon started out dead quiet, then about 3 days later started making a racket as if the impeller was striking the side walls. Took it apart, no issues, put it back together, same noise. Sent it back to Amazon for a replacement.

Replacement has been quiet for a good month and a half, and then now is doing the same dang thing. Right after opening it up to rinse the media out, and putting it back together - God awful racket as if the impeller is striking the side walls.

I've checked and double checked there's nothing in the impeller housing. I help it get air out by gently tilting it on its side a bit to vent the air hoping maybe it's air trapped in there - still not helping.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Any tips?

#2 ·
I could be air. I know you said that you tilt it, but you shouldnt be having to do that.

It sort of sounds like it is not primed properly. I know with both of my eheims, if I don't fill them up before reconnecting and turning on, they create this horrible sound.

Dont give up on the eheims, they are great machines. I have an ecco that has been running now for over 5 years and its a champ

#4 ·
With the classics you are supposed to prime them empty.
When you clean the canister the input tube should be filled with water when you close the QD valve. With both tubes disconnected you then clean the canister. Afterwards connect the input tube only with the empty canister, open the input QD, water will start siphoning. Grab the output tube and be ready to connect, watch the canister closely as it fills, when the water reaches the pump head quickly connect the output tube then open up the valve and you should be ready to turn it on. Should be quiet within a few hours at most.

#6 ·
Any chance that sand or something is causing impeller shaft wear?

I had a filter (AC50) that was working perfectly give up the ghost after switching to 100% sand. Post Mortem revealed a gouged, grooved, and utterly destroyed impeller shaft. First symptom of impending doom was a knocking/rattling.

#8 ·
Thanks all.

It did start happening immediately after a cleaning. Tried unplugged and replugging a few times.

I'll try filling it completely, as well as repriming it the way mott mentioned. I have fine flow - just as strong as always. Just making a bit of a racket doing it.

Like I mentioned before I've checked for sand in the shaft, nothing in there. Everything is clean.

#9 ·
I know what you are dealing with. Since its new, i doubt the impeller is shafted (lol). I bought a 2215 used and what it needed was a new impeller. The rod that the impeller rotates around was still fine but the shaft of the impeller was worn too much to keep straight. I had the loudest filter until i got a new impeller. Almost machine gun like. Afterwards, much quieter, no rattling.

Now lets assume this is not the case. Is the filter output reduced?
-Next time, fill the canister with water and then close it.
-Then connect it to the tank and open all the quick disconnects except for the ones at the outflow of the canister.
-Unscrew the outflow quick disconnects from each other nothing should siphon back out since the valves themselves are still closed.
-Slowly open teh outflow quick disconnect valve attached to teh canister, not the one hanging from your tank.
-This is ensure the filter is primed.
-Then once water is flowing out of the filter onto your floor, close that valve and reconnect everything.
-Open all valves and turn the filter on.

IF you stilla re getting a ton of air or it becomes unprimed and you hear rattling (once again we assume the impeller is fine) What i found works but also gets water everywhere, unlock all the clamps on the filter and carefully allow the top of the filter housing to rise and eventually the air will escape from the spaces that open up as the filter top comes off from the canister itself. Sounds risky and stuff and it is. Don't do this unless you really are out of options. But i had issues priming my filter and i got fed up, did this and it ended up working haha. Basically, the siphon that is formed from the tank to the filter on the ground pulls the water into the canister and as the canister fills up it will push out the air from the tiny gaps that open as you make sure the top doesn't completely come off. once again, i advise against this but hey last resorts.

#11 ·
Ive order 3 eheim 2213 canisters from amazon. 3/3. Were damaged through shipping because or poor packaging/handling. The filters worled but had loose parts in the motor area and cause rattles. I sent them bavk and got 3 new ones from dr. Foster and smith and been over a month and they are working perfect. I have one 2213 pn my 12 long thats been up and running for almost 3 months and thats quite and working perfect as well.

#14 ·
Thanks all,

I've tried both of those priming ideas - made no difference.

Even though I'm way past my return date, Amazon is still going to let me return it.

Going to try something else, see how that works out - a filter shouldn't cause this much trouble. Thanks for the help!

#16 ·
Was your intake or output tubing bent to slow flow in or out because that will cause constant air and this noise..... Sorry eheims are the best filter on the market hands down. You should get with someone in your area and see how they clean and prime there unit. I disconnect drain it clean it will it up lid it connect hoses open quick connects plug in and suck on the output until flow goes good

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

#17 ·
I wouldn't trade the eheim for anything else on the market. If you're having issues getting it going properly you should post a video, that way we can see how's it's being setup. It may be something very obvious that is being overlooked. There are also several youtube videos out ther about how to install a classic canister.

#18 ·
sbarbee: Intake and output tubing was fine - no bends.

exv152: I did watch several youtube videos on the setup. Once you figure it out it's pretty obvious and easy. It worked fine until I cleaned it.

I've already ordered a Fluval to replace it. We'll see how that one works out. It has excellent review on Amazon just like the Eheim :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.