The Planted Tank Forum banner

Going to Japan, any recommendation?

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Darkblade48 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm going to Japan next week for 16 days. Can anyone give suggestions on places I can visit that's aquascaping related or of hobby interest (LFS?/koi farm)?

Very unfortunate I wont be able to schedule a visit the Aqua Design Amano Gallery (ADA Nature) which opens only on Sundays.

Any places in Tokyo metropolitan and Osaka/Kyoto?

#4 ·
Having lived there for 2 years, I can suggest a plethora of places to visit.

16 days is not a lot of time, how are you splitting up your time between Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka?

If you are flying into Narita and also out of Narita (necessitating a round trip to Kyoto and back), then I would suggest a JR pass and then taking the shinkansen. However, if you are flying into Narita and then flying out from Kansai, then the JR pass may not be necessary (check the costs; a round trip shinkansen ticket from Tokyo to Osaka is about $350).

Unfortunately, during this time, there is unlikely any outdoor farms that will be open...however, there are lots of stores in the Tokyo and Osaka area. If you are going to be doing shopping for equipment, I would suggest you look around the stores first; different stores will often have cheaper prices/discounts on ADA equipment (cheaper than MSRP).

Of course, other than stores, you can always check out Japanese gardens as well as temples. This time of year is excellent, particularly in Kyoto due to the leaves changing colours.

#5 ·
Yes, please do give shout out of any places, it'll be my first visit to Japan.
Im definitely keen on shopping for equipment, I'll be going to most of the big shopping department/area. Can you suggest any dedicated aquascaping stores?

I'll be in Tokyo for a week then train down to Osaka and spend the remaining time there and fly home from there too, so a JR wont be necessary.

I'll bring back shrimps......; any shrimp favoured food products I can find! :)

#6 ·
So, I don't know what your schedule's like, but if you're in Kyoto on the 21st, the Toji flea market is incredible for souvenirs, antiques, and kimono (f you're into that stuff)! I'm so jealous--I wasn't into aquascaping when I did my study abroad, because I totally could have squeezed out a trip to the ADA gallery. Ahh. C'est la vie.

I can't speak for aquarium equipment, but if you like just shopping, Nambaa/Shinsaibashi in Osaka is incredible. I spent so many weekends there just walking up and down the arcade :hihi:

Edit: Forgot to menton--You can't hit Kyoto without going to see Kyomizudera. Big, orange temple, can't miss it. :D

#10 ·
This is great, thanks for the input. I'll be sure to do further research into these places.

Silmarwen : No i wont be there on the 21st, but i'll check out Toji Temple.
No, big commerical/water park aquarium are not particularly interesting for me.

Darkblade48:

2300 YEN Bus from Tokyo to Osaka is crazy cheap! But im willing to pay extra for a Shinkansen train ride experience!

Can you suggest the best method for foreigners buying mobile communication and internet data? Ideally, I want to buy a SIM with internet data and use my Apple iPhone for map navigation and calls. But I hear its quite different over there, you'll need to buy both Phone and plan? And Free Wi-Fi hotspot is scarce.

#11 ·
This is great, thanks for the input. I'll be sure to do further research into these places.
Let me know (you can either post here or PM me) if you want more details regarding some of the places. I know that the ADA link that I provided earlier was in Japanese, but if you click around, you should be able to find the map, etc.

If there are several that you are particularly interested in, I can do a little digging to give you the precise address/maps/telephone numbers/whatever.

Darkblade48:

2300 YEN Bus from Tokyo to Osaka is crazy cheap! But im willing to pay extra for a Shinkansen train ride experience!
Yes. Though for the price, you have to sit on a bus for 6-7 hours. And it's a night bus (you board around 11 pm - 12 am, then arrive around 6 am), so that might turn some people off. I had no problems and just slept the entire way.

Shinkansen from Shinagawa to Shin-Osaka stations costs ~14000 JPY, which at today's market rate is ~170 USD. It takes approximately 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Can you suggest the best method for foreigners buying mobile communication and internet data? Ideally, I want to buy a SIM with internet data and use my Apple iPhone for map navigation and calls. But I hear its quite different over there, you'll need to buy both Phone and plan? And Free Wi-Fi hotspot is scarce.
There are several ways to get a cell phone (with data) in Japan...

Strictly speaking, the easiest way is to go to a phone rental shop (they are usually in the airport). Docomo, Au and Softbank are your three choices, but Softbank is probably going to be the cheapest (of the three). Rental fees (and your subsequent usage) can be expensive.

Prepaid plans are available too, but this usually requires proof of residence in Japan, so if you have a tourist visa, you usually cannot get them. There are "gray" markets that are available where you might be able to get them, but...

So in general, your best bet is to get a rental phone. But, as mentioned, they might not have data. If you want a smart phone with data, it'll cost (more) money. They should have English, so not to worry about language preferences. Though the maps will all be in Japanese, so you might just want to research where you want to go, and print out all the maps.

Wi-fi was scarce, but is becoming increasingly more common. Starbucks, McDonald's and some coffee shops (Ogawa Coffee, etc) usually have free wi-fi now.

Edit: I edited my list of places above as well. Some more places popped into my mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.