The Planted Tank Forum banner

Journey of a 2.5g finally under way

4K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  plantednano 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally getting a tank set up! I Plan to plant and flood by friday if everything comes in on time.

The tank is a 2.5g Aqueon, will be derimming (already cracked one in the process -_-)
Filter: Toms internal 45gph
Light: Finnex ray 12" (5 w led)
DIY CO2

Flora: (still undecided atm)
Anubias Nana Petite
Fissidens Fontanus
Dwarf hairgrass (Eleocharis Parvula)
Rotala Rotundifolia or Myriophyllum Aquaticum(Parrot feather) for the back corners
(i like the think bushiness of the Parrot feather but supposedly hard to keep?)

Is the Finnex enough light for these plants?

Fauna:
Cherry shrimp
an oto or two
maybe a small school of chili rasbora? (or is it two small for 6-8)

Hardscape:

DSC_0062 by Batson Photography, on Flickr

DSC_0056 by Batson Photography, on Flickr

Scaping plan:

Tank 1 by Batson Photography, on Flickr

Tank 1 f by Batson Photography, on Flickr

Let me know what you think.
Any suggestion, comments or criticism are welcome.

See less See more
#8 ·
Also trim the silicone seams, they're massive and unsighty for such a small tank.

It's easy and ends up looking a lot better than it does now. Takes around half an hour and maybe 3 razorblades for a 2.5g.
Very true. Since my plant order is delayed a few days i will probably reseam the tank. After looking at the current one it has much larger seams than the tank i had broke.

#10 ·
Love the look, and I'll be following along.

You could always stick a few Least Killifish in. I've got them in a 2.5 and their swimming patterns don't indicate they need a bigger tank.

My 2.5 is 18" long, but still.

I might be wrong, but I thought ottos were regarded as needing a bigger tank.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

#11 ·
Thanks for the compliments and suggestions MABJ. Least killis look like pretty cool little fish, they will be on my consideration list.

You may very well be correct about otos. I have seen people with 2-3 living healthy in 5 gallon tanks on here so I just assumed I would be able to keep one in a 2.5 for algea control and their appearance. I have a specialty fish distributor a few blocks away from me and will be consulting him on my stocking options just to ensure i will have a happy healthy tank. :)

#12 ·
Good! Never go into it with just one opinion! There are a ton of people who know a HECK of a lot more than I do about stocking on this site.

Just in thinking, I'd say consider PMing Rachel if you have a stock list, even if you're not considering purchasing from her.

The Killis are pretty neat. They -- as I heard it put once before -- do certainly look like little submarines. They're also the first fish I've ever had reproduce in my waters :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.