The Planted Tank Forum banner

Best Aquarium/Fish Shops in SC

55K views 60 replies 34 participants last post by  Seahoke 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Does anyone know of a store in SC that carries Eco-Complete in stock?

Also, I'm find it hard to find a really good selection of high quality fish and products in this state with good prices.

I have been to Fintastic in Charlotte - the best setup in NC or SC I've seen so far. They have lots of live plants and equipment. Their prices are $$$$ though.

There is Fishy Business in Columbia. They are the best store as far as selection of plants and marine fish in SC that I've seen. They are $$$.

There is Pet Smart that has a lot of sick fish, and decent quality hardware, but they really aren't a super store when it comes to fish equipment stock. But the prices are $.

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
There is a very nice fish store in Charleston. It's located on Sam Rittenberg Blvd. I forget the name. The have a great stock of marine livestock. They also have a decent, well kept collection of FW fish and plants. The plants are limited and sell out soon, but if you call them, you can setup a good time/day to maximise ur visit. The best part about this store is very friendly and knowledgeble staff. They are not pushy at all. And yes they have ECOCOMPlete $29.99, if I remember correctly.
I can get you more details, if u r unable to find them on the internet.

#3 ·
I ended up driving from Columbia to Charleston to Tideline Aquatics they had a very nice set up with lots of fresh water fish and plants.

The other store on Same Rittneberg was Age of Aquariums. I stopped by there as well...it was alright, but for those who are looking for a shop in the Charleston area Tideline had a much better selection.

#6 ·
The shops

Tideline, followed by AoA are the 2 best in the local area. Extremely Fishy is not a desirable store. I don't know if they are still open but they have very little drygoods, and their livestock is limited, with over 60% of their tanks usually empty. Lastly, the staff doesn't seem all that knowledgeable.

#9 ·
Fishy Business is Columbia has been around for a while. I've seen many LFS's come and go around here and these guys remain. The staff I believe are all part owners and they know their stuff.

I use to get some of my Discus there. They do have high prices but that's the price you pay for quality and knowledge.

#10 ·
Have you been to Fishy Business lately..by the looks of it, it's going out of business..

They used to have plants, but their plant tank is just filled with a bunch of algae

Best off just going to PetSmart for freshwater Items

#11 ·
Have you been to Fishy Business lately..by the looks of it, it's going out of business..

They used to have plants, but their plant tank is just filled with a bunch of algae

Best off just going to PetSmart for freshwater Items

Yes, just a few weeks ago. They had plants then. I bought 6 dwarf cory cats.

Lets face it, SC is not big on tropical fish as a hobby. Any store here is only going to stock supply to meet demand. Petsmart is going to stop selling all live tropicals according to their corporate office.

#19 ·
Animal Supply House in North Myrtle Beach is......OK. Their prices are a bit high. Sometimes their stocklist is better than others. I think the fish department would be in much better shape if their main fish guy had more control over it. It can't match some of the other stores mentioned here, but it might be worth checking out.

#16 ·
Fintastic

Well nocrapman your right I just went and checked out Fintastic in Char. Nice place, their plants could take a little more care but they have alot more than most shops. $$$$$ are needed thou, they are high.
I am a regular visitor of FishyBusiness they are very helpful and take care of what they have, They lean more towards saltwater and less on the planted aquaria, most shops do these days. I would love to find that hole in the wall fish shop that is still old school and not try to rip you a new one. It baffels me everytime I walk into one and their trying to charge double for something you can get at Doc F&S and never leave the house.:eek5:

#18 ·
Petland has a nice selection but their quality isn't the best :( The place I've been going to is Scales and Tails in Easley. The guy who runs the place knows what hes talking about and is very nice and helpful. They'll special order anything they don't have in stock and take great care of their fish. Also have a good selection of live plants.

#24 ·
i live in myrtle beach all we have is animal supply with the same stock for 2 years and dwindling fish stock and coastline pets which caters mostly to saltwater and very little planted tank supplies anyone know of anywere good with in a hour or so drive please share also the helmet law only applies to inside the "city limits" of myrtle beach

#25 ·
There is a new aquatic store recently opened in Southport, NC. It is freshwater only and has about 200 tanks of FW species. Very limited on plants at this time, but the owner is looking to add more as the store grows.

Fish World Aquarium & Gifts
8128 River Road
Southport, NC 28461
910-363-4091

Regards to all,

#27 ·
Yea I saw their sale. Had some pretty good stuff in stock. Even saw an electric blue ram in one of their tanks. I was soooooo close to buying it.

#28 ·
i just got back from north Charleston where i attended the u.s.food show while i was there i stop by 2 aquarium stores; age of aquariums in Charleston and tideline aquatics.
age of aquariums was sub par i was disappointed. tideline aquatics was great! its what you wished your lfs could be knowledgeable and interested staff clean tanks and good selection good prices and i met a Hikari rep who gave me a free sample of their new shrimp cuisine. the shops in hanahan SC. about 15 min from n.Charleston if your ever in the area i would stop in a++

#29 ·
best Fish Shop in Myrtle Beach

You should try Sea Critters in North Myrtle Beach. It's all saltwater but it amazing. He had a large supply of corals and fish. Bruce is very knowledgeable and extremely friendly. He'll pack the stuff really good if you have to travel with the items you purchased. Go by there everytime I'm at the beach. He maintains a large number of tanks at the beach including the one in the Bass Pro Shop. Great store, Great Stuff:icon_lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.