The Planted Tank Forum banner

12G Club: Got a 12 GalloN RimlesS or wanna get 1? PoSt/SeE HeRe!

644K views 2K replies 297 participants last post by  saltmeup 
#1 · (Edited)

Featured is J&H's 12G Long

12 Gallon Long Rimless Club
(Mr. Aqua or GLA)

Hi! As I have discussed with a few fellow members with 12 gallon long tanks, it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to just 12 gallon long tanks. Its basically a thread dedicated to our small 12G long community in hopes of keeping it always exciting and drawing new interests everyday. This thread is open for ideas, questions, suggestions, etc. as a whole. Whether you already have a 12G long, looking for ideas how to design it, or simply thinking to get one, I want this thread and its members to help you in whichever way possible :biggrin:

Goals:
* Have your very own community focusing on 12G longs.
* Learn, inspire, share & support (Remember it as L.I.S.S).
* Give RAOK(s) from your very own 12G tank(s) for newcomers or to those in need when you have extra.
* Have fun! This is what it is all about ;)

Your Support Needed!: Link to our club by adding the pre-setup link below to your signature box. Just copy & paste to your signature box.

SMALL

HTML:
 [URL="http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168088"][IMG]http://i.minus.com/izhPHb9PWOp01.gif[/IMG][/URL]
LARGE

HTML:
 [URL="http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168088"][IMG]http://i.minus.com/iZhHcht953vTM.gif[/IMG][/URL]
It will look like this in your signature box if done correctly:

Banner Designed by Brian_Cali77

12G Journals = If you would like to recommend a journal - or of your own - to be added here, feel free to shoot me a PM! :bounce:

ADA: Panoramic Mountain Scape - CRS Habitat
Ach1Ll3sH33L: Ach1lL3s 12 long White Mountain
Amazonfish: Lara's 12 gallon long 'Tango'
andrewjohn007: 12g Long DSM with MTS
Anhvu: -="Bees Playground" Anh's Mr Aqua 12G Long=-
auski: Alan's Mr Aqua 12 gallon long
Aww: Aww's Scape #2 (Mr. Aqua 12G)

Bananariot: 12 Gallon Long Banana
BeastMaster: "Kahawai" 12 gallon long
beedee: Tranquil Valley // 12g Long Iwagumi
bigd603: 12 Gallon Wicked Long!

CalmSeasQuest: CalmSeasQuest's 12G Long Iwagumi
cdunson82: 12 gallon long first timer
CryptKeeper54: CryptKeeper54's Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long

dasob85: G's 12g long planted with driftwood
defiant: MR. Aqua's 12g Long Iwagumi Madness II the end!
DrakeScree: Drake's 12g long!!!!!!

El Funko: El Funko's Ubiquitous 12G Long
endgin28: The Black Gate GLA 12 long Iwagumi

_FC: First planted 12g Long (56K warning)

g33tar: g33tar's 12g Mr.Aqua -First planted tank
Geronimoumd: Geronimoumd's 12 Gal Long Journal - "The Jungle Nook"

HeathBar: 12g long - Low tech/low maintance

Kai808: Another guy... Another 12g long... Another DSM
Kosey929: 12G Long shrimp & tiny fish tank/very expensive cat water dish

larcat: Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long Mountainscape. Stocking ideas?

manualfocus: 12 Gallon Long Rimless "Escape"
mayphly: Mayphly's 12 Gallon RimlessTank
meowschwitz: Meow's 12G Long — "Triple Summit"
micr0: micr0's 12 Gallon Long
mweng0385: mweng0385**Mr. Aqua 12 Long**Journal (56K Beware)
mythin: Mythin's Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long

natebuchholz: 12 Long Journal...Creative Title
NeoShrimp: Miss My's 1st Iwagumi Journal: Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long
nerdariostomp: Nerdariostomp's 12g long

PJM: Mr. Aqua 12 Bookshelf Frameless Aquarium Journal

Ranbaral: Ranbaral: 12g long, Iwagumi on a budget
rdmustang1: A Twist on Mr. Aqua 12 Long
rocksmom: rocksmom's 12 Long Blue Velvet Haven
RumbleFish: Rumble's First Planted (12G Long)

sayurasem: Ray's 12 Gallon Loooooooong Journal Substrate Swap Completed
senor0kun: Another 12 gallon long
smracer31: 12 gallon long coffee table tank
somewhatshocked: Jake's Mr. Aqua 12gal Long/36" Shrimp Tank (pic heavy)

the_intricacy: the_Intricacy's 12g Long... double-fisted!
therash: therash's 12 gallon long

Waddy015: 12 Gallon Long Mr. Aqua

yellowsno: YellowSno's 12 gallon long... now with bba problems :(

See less See more
#14 ·
Nice idea. I don't have a nice FTS but here's the most recent quarter FTS:
Absolutely gorgeous plants. What sp. of Erios are they? You must have RO water and Co2 in this tank? Very inspiring.. I see you have some really nice Bucephalandras there too :) :)

#4 ·
Mine has been planted for a while but only flooded for a day, but here are a couple shots:

It's still just growing in, as you can see.

E. parkeri is beginning to flower:

Feel free to take a look around the journal for highlights of my DIYing and such. Spray bar, lighting stands, adding cooling fans sometime next week, yadda yadda.

These are really great tanks. Maybe my favorite.

#10 ·
Here's mine. The pic is about 6 weeks old, but not much has changed since. I started this tank maybe 5-6 months ago. The biggest challenge has been finding small, interesting fish to stock it with. The next biggest challenge is keeping them out of my cat's mouth. :p

Interior design Glass Fixture Tints and shades Interior design

#20 ·
In the club, just by virtue of having the GLA version. It's sitting on my nightstand completely empty as I meditate on what to do with it. Having a thread for it was inevitable, it's such a unique tank. I'm enjoying watching everyone's build.

dasob85--where did you get the wood? It's very nice.

sox

#21 ·
Hi Sox, I ordered 3 pieces from PC1 and used 2 pieces for the left long one, and the right long one. Cut off a branch and stuck it in the middle to make a nice fan shape. superglued and used stainless steel screws to fix everything together to a tile to prevent potential floating issues. In summary, I cheated and used 3 separate pieces :p

btw, after i saw this thread, i had an incentive for setting up the tank :) I look forward to seeing yours!

#24 ·
Those tanks are amazing. I'm in love with the long style. Right now I'm emailing around to see if I can buy it from anywhere in Canada (and not pay $150 for shipping from green leaf aquariums).

What do you think is the best LED light for a tank like this? It seems like it's a bit of a tricky spot in that it's long so that lights that cover the whole length are going to be powerful, but since it's so shallow they might be too much. I see some people here are using multiple clip on lights.

#26 ·
What do you think is the best LED light for a tank like this? It seems like it's a bit of a tricky spot in that it's long so that lights that cover the whole length are going to be powerful, but since it's so shallow they might be too much. I see some people here are using multiple clip on lights.
ADA has the marineland double bright 36' long on his tank. I dont think he uses co2 though.

I got it too but i'm still in the dry start phase. on day 6 and my HC does seem to grow under the light if that helps. I do plan on putting co2 on my tank. Its rated to have 54 par at 12 inches by the manufacturer.

#29 ·
LOL

+1

ADA has the marineland double bright 36' long on his tank. I dont think he uses co2 though.

I got it too but i'm still in the dry start phase. on day 6 and my HC does seem to grow under the light if that helps. I do plan on putting co2 on my tank. Its rated to have 54 par at 12 inches by the manufacturer.
I do have that light, yes.. I love it. Absolutely love it. (so much that I bought two of them.. haha)
I have had lots of success growing plants. If anything, this light is too bright for low tech.. be careful, or you end up with LOTS of algae. Having said that, my shrimp tank has never had Co2 so I have not tried it as a high tech.
As low tech, I've had to raise the light quite a bit, and only have about a 7 or 8 hour photoperiod. Finally got the algae under control and everything seems to be nicely balanced.

If you cut the CO2 that'll be good for the shrimps, but your precious Erios might slowly melt away.:(
I was thinking the same thing. I'm 99.9% certain you can't grow any type of erio without Co2.
I do grow some "high light plants" in this tank though, like HC, Blyxa(spelling?), and a few others, and they grow VERY slowly, but do grow.

So what filters are people using on these--I guess I'm taking a poll. I know I want this to be the cleanest looking of all my tanks--I don't want to see any green tubes or black boxes for filters or heaters. And I'm not going to settle for anything less, I'll just wait until I can afford it.

I'm guessing I need a canister filter with clear tubing and lily pipes. Do you usually get the lily pipes separate after the other stuff so you know what size? Any advice out there? Looks like a lot of you are doing it right!

thanx sox
Definitely a canister. I'm not so sure about lily pipes. Because it's such a long tank, it's not easy to get the water all flowing without any dead spots. I had an Eheim 2213, and I didn't feel like there was enough flow. I tried a few different things with that, one was splitting the intake and outflows, so there was an intake and an outflow at each end, to try to create a slow "whirlpool" effect. Just wasn't enough power in that filter even for that. I also tried a long diy flow bar, which worked okay.
I'm now running a Fluval 306, which is incredible. LOADS of flow/power, (too much in fact) but the great thing is, you can adjust the flow with a lever. I think even a 206 (or 205/305) would be fine.

#28 ·
So what filters are people using on these--I guess I'm taking a poll. I know I want this to be the cleanest looking of all my tanks--I don't want to see any green tubes or black boxes for filters or heaters. And I'm not going to settle for anything less, I'll just wait until I can afford it.

I'm guessing I need a canister filter with clear tubing and lily pipes. Do you usually get the lily pipes separate after the other stuff so you know what size? Any advice out there? Looks like a lot of you are doing it right!

thanx sox

#30 ·
I think when I was deciding on my canister filter, a majority of ppl suggested eheim 2115.

mine is collecting dust right now due to the dry start so i can't comment on how powerful it is. I did like my eheim when i had a big tank years ago though. I got lily pipes already too. The green tubing outside the tank doesn't really bother me. I'm just a very optimistic person and hopes that everything works :)

#32 ·
I'm using the Marineland Double Bright, as well. Feel free to peruse my journal to see how I have it suspended in a situation where a shelf wasn't an option.

About filters/flow. I didn't think my Eheim 2232 would provide enough flow but I'm now finding it has the perfect amount. My DIY spray bar made from Lee's Rigid Tubing works really well.

In a low flow scenario, it's also possible to use a small powerhead to increase flow. I bought a few of different sizes just to be safe and find that the Koralia Nano 240 works well, though isn't needed in my case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.