The Planted Tank Forum banner

Metricide 14 to replace the Excel dosing

102K views 121 replies 56 participants last post by  jacko5 
#1 ·
I am planning on ordering Metricide 14 to replace the Excel dosing. Right now I dose 10ml/day of Excell in my 55g. How much 100% Metracid do I need to dose to match the Excel dosing. Also do you know if it's safe to overdose Metricid a little? Thank you.

#2 ·
Hi over_stocked,

I am planning on ordering Metricide 14 to replace the Excel dosing. Right now I dose 10ml/day of Excell in my 55g. How much 100% Metracid do I need to dose to match the Excel dosing. Also do you know if it's safe to overdose Metricid a little? Thank you.

10ml/day?

On initial use or after a major (> 40%) water change, use 1 capful (5 mL) for every 40 L (10 gallons*). Thereafter use 1 capful for every 200 L (50 gallons*) daily or every other day. Dosing may be slowly increased in high-growth aquariums. For smaller dosing please note that each cap thread is approximately 1 mL.
I use 5ml/day on my 55 gallon. I really dont think you wanna use 10ml/day when using Metricide 14 cause its a little stronger.

#6 ·
Just a heads up for those who are interested in purchasing Metricide 14: Dealmed.com seems to have lowered their price by $2, making the total $22.14 ($17.15 for one gallon and $4.99 for standard shipping). Not sure how often the price fluctuates on this product, but I haven't seen it lower than this over the past few weeks.

#7 ·
I paid $ 18.95 + $ 9.95 shipping on March 11th. Still way better than buying Excel. Just checked their website , darn I did not know about the $ 4.99 standard shipping.:icon_cry: Next time I'll be more careful. :)

Thanks for the heads up dj2005.

#9 ·
Pretty much, if I figured this correctly, you can just multiply whatever dose you'd normally use for Excel by 0.6 and get your Metricide-14 dose? Seeing as Metricide-14 is 60% stronger mL per mL. 1.5% for Excel, versus 2.5% for Metricide (1.5/2.5=0.6). Or at least get you pretty close to whatever you want to dose. I don't feel like making my own Excel, would rather just dose it straight.

Just ordered myself some. Ran out of Excel yesterday.

#14 ·
Just a little warning guys, Metricide is a toxic chemical. Take care when handling them. Don't breath it, touch it and obviously, don't swallow any.

And chemically it's not exactly the same as excel. Excel is derived from Glutaraldehyde which makes it a bit less toxic to plants and animals.

#18 ·
There is no proof that Excel is somehow safer than Metricide. Please read the MSDS for each product. What leads anyone to believe that it is safer when the MSDS indicates that both are of the same risk is mind boggling to me.

Further, this "glutaraldehyde" derivative is an unknown compound. Seachem said years ago that they would elaborate after getting it patented, but was unable to secure a patent. This leads me to believe that it is nothing more than a diluted version of Glutaraldehyde, just like Metricide.

Metricide is NOT pure Glutaraldehyde. It is diluted and continuing to perpetuate that it is somehow some nasty chemical and Excel is like bottled water is both irresponsible and false.

#15 ·
Metricide is a Gluteraldehyde derivative as well. 2.6% I believe (which is the reason it's "stronger" than Excel) If anything buy this and don't mess with trying to dilute your own Gluteraldehyde. THAT is some nasty stuff lol.

(although mistergreen is right in warning about this stuff as well, it's also fairly hazardous)

#16 ·
I actually wrote Seachem about the topic. Yes, they have a vested interest, but I think they have valid points:

We consulted with our chemist in regard to your email and
this was his response:

"First, I should tell you that Flourish Excel is not a 1.7
per cent glutaraldehyde solution.

Second, the "-cide" portion of the name "Metracide"
indicates it kills living organisms. That is why Metracide
is sold in the first place. If it were sold as an additive
for aquariums, I'm sure that the strength would be
adjusted to achieve the desired goal of enhancing plant
growth. As it is, it has the strength to kill microbes.
This means that it should be diluted, and carefully.
(Glutaraldehyde does real damage to the eyes, so I would
wear safety goggles.)

Remember that glutaraldehyde is a reducing agent. The
activator that comes with Metracide sounds like an agent
to increase the reducing ability of the glutaraldehyde. I
would most certainly avoid that. But it makes me wonder if
there is something other than water in the inactive
ingredients list, perhaps a buffer to help the activator
work better.

As a general rule, it is a good idea to wear gloves, and
to make sure that glutaraldehyde doesn't come in contact
with skin. Some chemicals are sensitizers, meaning that
repeated exposure to the chemical can cause a person to
break out in a rash, or worse. Glutaraldehyde is such a
chemical. I copied this from the OSHA (Department of
Labor) website:

"Long-term (chronic) effects: Glutaraldehyde is a
sensitizer. This means some workers will become very
sensitive to glutaraldehyde and have strong reactions if
they are exposed to even small amounts. Workers may get
sudden asthma attacks with difficult breathing, wheezing,
coughing, and tightness in the chest. Prolonged exposure
can cause a skin allergy and chronic eczema, and
afterwards, exposure to small amounts produces severe
itching and skin rashes. It has been implicated as a
possible cause of occupational asthma."

The stronger the solution of glutaraldehyde, the greater
the chance of acquiring a chemical sensitivity. For the
record, somewhere in my 35 years of working in the
chemical industry I picked up a sensitivity to
glutaraldehyde. I also use Flourish Excel in both my
planted tanks, with no adverse reaction.

To play it safe, I would recommend continuing to use
Flourish Excel, and not substituting something that was
designed to do something other than deliver organic carbon
to plants. Of course, I work for Seachem, so you would
expect me to say that. But we develop our products with
the hobbyist, and not the hospital, in mind. Flourish
Excel is safe when used according to directions. It does
not have to be diluted. You don't have to worry about
developing chemical sensitivities. We do recommend that
you keep it out of your eyes, a good recommendation for
all our products."

I hope this information was helpful and please let us know
if you have any additional questions. Have a wonderful
day!

Seachem Support 100215

#17 ·
Of course this is there answer. Yet still they won't actually identify what is in Flourish Excel. For the record, the MSDS safety precautions for each are identical and continuing to pretend that it is somehow safer because it comes in a pretty(expensive) bottle is silly.

At one point Excel was simply labeled as Glutaraldehyde on the MSDS. Now they have essentially made up a name for it(that at one point they claimed to be patenting, but apparently have no grounds to patent it on).

The use of Metricide 14 in a responsible manor is safe. NO more or less dangerous than Excel. If you don't believe me, just look at the MSDS provided by seachem.
SECTION VIII: CONTROL MEASURES
Respiratory Protection NA
Ventilation Local Exhaust, Mechanical Ventilation
Protective Gloves Recommended
Eye Protection Required
Other Protective Clothing or Equipment NA
Work/Hygienic Practices Good house keeping practices
http://www.seachem.com/support/MSDS/FlourishExcel.doc.pdf

#22 ·
Metricide 14 is safe for planted tank and even some shrimp species at half the dose of Seachem Excel. Make sure you DO NOT ADD THE ACTIVATOR from Metricide 14. It works very well as a carbon source in lieu of injected CO2. A very good friend of mine has been using this on her 256 gallon planted tank with excellent results. Please note that lower order plants are susceptible to Metricide/Excel. This would include Riccia, Mini Pelia, Vals, Stonewort (Nitella flexilis) to name a few. I pick mine up at a medical supply store here in Canada for $22 Canadian (now equal to US funds :))!

Best Regards,

Stuart

#28 ·
I know absolutely Cherry Shrimp, Blue Pearls, Amanos, and Mountain Fan Shrimp are not affected by this product even in Flourish Excel overdose amounts. Use half as much of Metricide 14 to compensate for the stronger solution.

Best Regards,

Stuart

#32 ·
You could do the math up front and then dose at full strength. Saves you the hassle of finding mixing containers and the mixing. BTW, the ratio appears to be 1.5% (Excel) versus 2.6% (Metricide). (The ratio issue has been explored here.) I've seen folks either dose Metricide at 50% or 60% of the Excel dose and not report issues. I just started dosing to fight some BBA and am using 50% of what I would have used with Excel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.