The Planted Tank Forum banner

10 gallon shrimp tank

16K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  BradH 
#1 · (Edited)
About a month or two ago I set up a new 10 gallon. I threw in some plants temporarily just to have some plants in it while I was getting it established. So I finally got around to getting it setup the way I really wanted it and here it is.

Tank: 10 Gallon
Light: Standard hood with 2 CFL 14 watt 10k daylight bulbs
Filter: Aqueon HOB that came with it
Heather: eheim jager
ferts: Flourish once a week
substrate: Black flourite sand
flora: Rotala (not sure which type), Valisneria (not sure which type), Mayaca fluviatilis, Subwassertang, Narrow leaf Java fern, marimo balls ripped open, brazilian microsword, christmass moss and Nymphaea micrantha.
fauna: 20 Yellow shrimp, 2 Sulawesi Yellow Spotted Rabbit snails, 1 Olive nerite, 5 Bumble bee nerites (clithon corona), a few pond snails, ramshorns, and mts.

Once the Rotala and Vals grow in the filter and heater will be covered.
I don't really like the Christmass moss. I just have it tucked into the crevice between rocks on the right. I'll probably post it for sale. I think I'm going to add some more marimo balls torn up to it also.

Comments, criticism, ect. are welcome.

FTS

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks! I agree. I think they look better than in the ball form. That nymphaea micrantha is what I got from you. I moved it and damaged it, but it's bouncing back. It did have all sorts of new leaves, but I really messed it up pulling it out of the substrate to move it. :icon_sad:

Quick question about it. How big to the leaves get and how tall?

#8 ·
Nice tank! Did you wedge the subwassertang in between the rocks so it wouldn't float? You can also tie it to the rocks using fishing line or thread. Take a look at my 5 gal journal to see what I did if your interested in doing that... it looked amazing (something to ponder). Not sure if I just missed it, but what type of substrate do you have?

#14 ·
Well, this tank has gone to crap. lol My tylo snail ate most of the plants. The mayaca didn't live and I"m plagued by unwanted hitchhikers (planeria, detritus worms, some sort of copepod and hydra). The shrimp haven't reproduced at all, which makes me think it's the other critters keeping that from happening. I'm about to dose the tank with flubendazole and try to get it back on track.

#17 ·
Thanks! I like them. I haven't got the tank back on track yet. I have been procrastinating and working on my 29 gallon tank. I plan on dosing the tank tomorrow with the stuff to get rid of the unwanted pest in there. Then probably next week, I'm going to rescape the tank. I'll post and update when I do.

The rocks are soo fuzzy =) haha the shrimp will love it in there.
They pick at the marimo all day.

The shrimp seem happy and they molt quite often, but for some reason they aren't breeding. i haven't figure out why yet though. I think it might be related to the unwanted pests in the tank. I have some sort of copepod or something that is multiplying like crazy in there. Plus I have some planeria that I need to kill off.

#22 ·
Well, I sold almost all of the plants in there last week, so it's looking rather bare right now. The fish and shrimp get along fine. However, I'm not getting any berried shrimp anymore and this started way before the fish were added. I think it's because my gh had gotten really high. I keep doing water changes, but for some reason it's not lowering it. I'm about to switch to half tap and half ro water, so hopefully things will get better.

#23 ·
Your tap water has high GH? RO/distilled water would deffinately help with that. Btw I love how that small piece of xmass moss went from a tiny ball of moss to a monster moss.

#25 ·
I just recently sold a bunch of xmas moss. It was filling up half of the tank. Also my valisneria nana was out of control in there. No my tap isn't super hard water, but my gh in the tank is 14 right now. I did a lot of top offs with tap and no water changes and it built it up. Then I started doing a lot of water changes, but the gh hasn't gone down at all. I'm not sure why cause I have been staying on top of the water changes every week. So I'm going to try to mix half and half. Interestingly enough though my kh doesn't go up.

Nice video and tank! Just can't see any shrimp :(

How long have you had them? Usually ppl ship them as baby/juvies an it takes a couple months for them to start breeding.. Do you ever see any saddled? I mean I know they're yellows so it'll be kinda hard to tell, but that's the hint that berriedness will come soon!

Also, phone pics are totally fine as that's all I have too :p lol
LOL! I need to do another vid or some pics with the shrimp. I've had the shrimp for a year. I bought them as juvies. They didn't breed for a long time, then I lowered the temp. and they started breeding like crazy. I did have them breeding really good, until recently. And once I noticed they stopped, I checked my water parameters and the gh was really high. And it's not going down. So I'm just assuming that is the problem. I don't no for sure, but I think the water is too hard right now.

#24 ·
Nice video and tank! Just can't see any shrimp :(

How long have you had them? Usually ppl ship them as baby/juvies an it takes a couple months for them to start breeding.. Do you ever see any saddled? I mean I know they're yellows so it'll be kinda hard to tell, but that's the hint that berriedness will come soon!

Also, phone pics are totally fine as that's all I have too :p lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.