|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|08-21-2016 02:29 PM|
|chale||Very nice set up. I like the looks and your automation of everything.|
|07-21-2016 02:24 PM|
This tank has currently been broken down and put into storage for about 3 months.
A few months back we decided to have the rest of our basement finished, which meant a considerable amount of construction around the location of this tank (and included painting the room this tank is in), so I had to break the entire thing to move it.
Now that I've done it once, it'll be much easier if I ever have to do it again. I'm writing this post as a helpful guide in case anyone has the exact situation I had ever again.
My tank sits on a tile floor. I needed to move it about 15 feet into the next room (that would be untouched during construction). I still had fish in the tank (not a lot) and I didn't want to lose my cycled filters, so instead of completely breaking it down I got it as light as possible. I drained almost all of it. Removed all the plants, rocks, and wood. Then I removed 1/3 to 1/2 of the substrate. And drained some more. That was the easy part.
I mentally struggled to figure out how to move this think. Even with all that this sucker was still heavy. Enter brilliance and luck. The tank was on a tile floor, and that tile floor extends into the room I needed to move the tank to. So, I got two neighbors to help me lift sucker, and then put the edges down on two folded blankets. Each end of the tank was on about 4-6 layers of blanket. From that point, the thing was pretty easy to just slide into the next room. One person could have done it (the sliding).
All of the plants got stored in rubbermaid tubs in my laundry room with lights. Fortunately, this is a tank composed mostly of low light plants, so it was easy to just put them in "hibernation" for a few months. I kept lights on them and topped of the water occasionally.
Move updates to follow soon.
|04-06-2015 10:58 PM|
|The Dude||Man I love the latest iteration. It just pops to me... the way the wood runs though the plants and the long slender leaves running through it. I'm not a fan of stems, but it's hard to get things in the right places to make a natural scape without them I'm learning. I saved a pic as inspiration for my 180 Gallon|
|04-06-2015 12:57 PM|
Originally Posted by Brian Mc View Post
|04-06-2015 01:33 AM|
|04-06-2015 12:54 AM|
|Dzrtman||Enjoyed your story, all the better for the periodic updates so we see the tanks phases. And you managed this while real life, like the addition of 2 children happened Great job!|
|04-05-2015 11:17 PM|
|ROYWS3||Glad you resurrected this. Your tank looks great no and in all of its past incarnations. Both flora and fauna are incredible!|
|04-05-2015 10:51 PM|
Originally Posted by Brian Mc View Post
I got them from my local aquarium club auction. If you have a local club I highly recommend participating.
|04-05-2015 06:28 AM|
i have an inline atomizer but installed it after the canister. today i got sick of seeing tiny bubbles in my tank and put a cerges reactor after the atomizer.
|04-04-2015 02:49 PM|
|Brian Mc||Really nice setup, congrats on keeping it going. Very natural looking. Been looking at the apistos on aquabid, where did you get those nice Macmasterii?|
|04-04-2015 12:46 PM|
Originally Posted by ikuzo View Post
Aside from these small bubbles, 100% diffusion. That atomizer inline before the filter is the best co2 injection method in my experience.
|04-04-2015 10:49 AM|
have you ever had any problems with air/co2 trapped inside your filter?
|04-03-2015 09:23 PM|
Well, it's a been a long time coming:
As I think I've mentioned, I did a big rescape sometime last summer. Add in two big ole' pieces of manzinta from Tom Barr. Really lovely pieces. Of course, then I went and covered them up with a bunch of Anubias, but I like it and the fish do too.
Fish are down to 3 of my angels, 4 Apisto Macmasterii, 1 Sterbai cory, and a bunch of Otos.
I'm maybe half happy with this. I'm working on it. I have a lot of plants that I think could work great, but need more of them so I'm waiting for them to grow out and multiply. I'm really pleased with how open the tank is compared to before. The Barclaya longifolia I really love, but I just don't have the time to keep it trimmed back. I'm more or less happy with it growing the way it is cause it helps to keep too much light from hitting the Anubias.
My next big thing is to add more livestock. I'm leaning towards a big school of cardinals and probably a big colony of RCS.
Expect my next updat in 12 to 18 months.
|03-31-2015 11:21 PM|
|andrewss||the tank is looking great!|
|03-31-2015 10:48 PM|
Ok. Let's resurrect this one.
So, last April I ordered two huge ole' pieces of manzanita wood from Tom Barr. After a month or more, hard to remember, I rescaped this guy. Sold off most of my huge narrow leaf java fern and a bunch of anubias too.
I took a lot of great pictures of that rescape process too. Then, before I could post, life got in the way. A few months went by, and somehow I ended up missing all of those. So, that sucks.
Anyway, tank is mostly crypts and anubias. Kind of a mess, too.
Fauna is down to 3 angels (had a good 5 year run on them), 4 Apisto macmasteri, and a ton of Otos.
Everything is running great with the plumbing and the automation. The only thing I do to this tank on a regular basis is dose dry micros and feed the fish. The rest of it is entirely automated (including macros, lights, co2, water changes). It's pretty much the perfect setup for someone with a couple of kids and no time.
Anyway, I'll try to get some pictures up soon.
|This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|