|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|08-12-2013 09:40 PM|
Originally Posted by latchdan View Post
|02-25-2013 04:45 PM|
Originally Posted by Dx3Bash View Post
The diatoms if anything are getting worse rather then better I just want to correct what I can before it gets out of control. I added a lot of plants some died off one being myro I believe it was labed as foxtail at the fish shop. The only two plants that have noticible growth is the amazon sword and the ambulia.
Just did a 50% water changed nitrates were at 5ppm so dosed 1/8 potasium nitrate. Phosphates were around 2-3ppm so adding nothing. added 1/16 teasponn potassium sulfate and 3ml of seachem iron.
I might add some excel too drop checker is yellow ( surface agitation provided by an aquaclear 50 and spray bar is turned up a little on rena xp1)
|02-25-2013 09:20 AM|
|Low_t Tom||I have 20 of them in my 75G and I hardley notice them. They come out mostly at night. The problem I have now is to have enough algae for them to eat!|
|02-25-2013 06:54 AM|
I'm having some big algae problems in my 75g since I redid it. I'm just using DIY C02 and quite a bit of Metricide. I purposely haven't added any vals or moss to this tank for that very reason.
I've got 6 Nerites in here as well. Going to be adding some Oto's shortly.
Your tank doesn't look bad at all. Personally I'm all or nothing. I would take out anything that Excel will kill and start dosing it pretty good until your plant mass catches up OR add a good amount of additional plant mass.
Personally I determine how heavily my tanks will be planted based on the point when I have zero algae.
|02-25-2013 05:12 AM|
|Dx3Bash||Excel will help control many types of algae. I use it in my heavily planted aquarium in conjunction with pressurized CO2. Are you EI dosing? If so, don't forget the VERY IMPORTATN 50% water change weekly. After the water change dose 1 capful of Excel per 10 gallons (as instructed on the bottle), then dialy dosage following instructions. I have corkscrew val in my aquarium and they are doing just fine with the excel.|
|02-25-2013 04:41 AM|
|02-23-2013 01:48 AM|
To help fight this algae problem and maybe help the plants grow could I add some Excel? I have a bottle and haven't been using it for a while. I know it melts some plants vals and I've hard anacharis. Would it be okay if i dosed a lower dosage maybe every other day or somthing like that? For instance I would normally dose 3ml a day could I do 1.5ml a day or 3ml every other day? Skipping the initial dose of course. Or are these plants super sensitive and any would melt them?
I have contortionist vals and I remember years ago I killed them with excel before I knew better. But it seems like a waste to have this excel just sitting around.
|02-21-2013 06:29 PM|
Here is that brown diatom algae I think.
Full tank pic, it looks good if you don't look real close.
I'm not sure what I should do to get rid of this algae. I've reduced trace to 1/32 teaspoon, and stopped adding macros since nitrate is now 20ppm after 50% water change and phosphates are around 2ppm after water change.
|02-20-2013 04:47 PM|
Originally Posted by AlanLe View Post
Although, since I started this post I have moved and I had to drain the tank and refill and I'm having an outbreak of brown diatom algae. Its brown and looks hairy. I am pretty sure its diatom because when I grab it and rub it between my figures it just disolves.
I'm researching how to get rid of it but from what I have read it will go away on its own, but that is in new set ups. Only explanation for it is I caused a mini cycle when moving the tank since the filter was off for an extended period of time. I am doing 50% water changes twice a week with RO water adding seachem equilibrium and baking soda to get 4 degrees kh and 4 degrees GH. (which is what the tank is about)
I'll see if I can get a picture of what the tank looks with the new algae and the added plants I have got.
Oh also forgot I have got new phosphate and nitrate test kit and they are showing some high numbers so I have stoped dosing nitrate and phosphate. Nitrate was around 40 and phosphate was around 5+. I also calibrated the test kits and they seem accurate. (thanks to hoppy http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...tion+solutions)
I have also added 2 zebra nerite snails and 1 tri colored horned nerite. May get more in the future but is all they had when I went and looked.
|02-20-2013 06:52 AM|
|AlanLe||Did you get rid of the algae problem?|
|02-14-2013 02:12 AM|
Originally Posted by fjord View Post
|02-14-2013 12:29 AM|
|fjord||Buy them online, they are much cheaper.|
|02-11-2013 08:34 AM|
|Low_t Tom||I have 30 in a 75G Tank.|
|02-10-2013 01:12 AM|
Originally Posted by Low_t Tom View Post
|02-07-2013 09:07 PM|
Wanted to give an update on the algae problem since its been about 5 more days. I've reduced photo period to 6 hours. 3 hrs on 1 hour off 3 hours on.
I've started dosing excel for the past 3 days.
This is same spot of the glass as the previous GDA was.
Another focusing on the plants rather then glass, harder to see the algae in this one.
It is improving quite a bit but its still there. Next week I'm going to see if i can get some more plants, its a far drive so gotta wait mid week.
|This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|