|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|01-30-2013 01:43 AM|
Originally Posted by l8nite View Post
|01-29-2013 11:41 PM|
|pirayaman||im gonna get some excell this week and make a mix to sit the plants in and kill alge. see if that works too|
|01-29-2013 11:36 PM|
the hc is great alge free super green and growing again so yes it worked
i tryed it again on hygrophila sunset today alge hasnt turned yet and i used a red beer cup and 3 capfulls of peroxide for 1 hr
|01-29-2013 11:27 PM|
|l8nite||I put a piece of driftwood with some HUGE BBA (like 1" tall bushes) on it in 100% H2O2 a week ago. The BBA is still there and looks fine, haha.|
|01-29-2013 09:13 PM|
|fishykissies||Did it work? I did a bleach dip once which worked very well (no livestock in tank).|
|01-27-2013 12:38 AM|
|pirayaman||ok the results are in. first i cant say with 100 percent certianty it was 50/50 it was probley 30-40 percent peroxide and as i put the hc and a couple others in a container with this mix there was bubbling from peroxide. i mixed it several times in the hr the plants were in the mix. after the hr i rinsed plants several time making sure all the peroxide was gone kinda smushing the plants alittle and stiring them in the clean tap water (no declorinator). i left them sit in just the tap water in a container over night and all of today. i went to pull a piece of the hc out and graped at the string alge it just fell off i again and again the alge just seem to let go and is red when under water. THE HC IS FINE so are the other 2 plants i tested. not clear not melting. i plan to put back in the tank tonight or tommorow i dont think an hr was needed maybe 30 mins would have bin smarter idk. it does work and it didnt kill or melt the plants|
|01-26-2013 05:10 AM|
|01-26-2013 03:15 AM|
|DarkCobra||Depending on type, successfully treated algae also may not look any different coming out of the dip, taking up to three days to see the full effect.|
|01-26-2013 02:33 AM|
Well, at least starting with too much there is an upper limit.
There are all sorts of ways to alter the treatment even with only 2 variables.
I think I would try to establish as upper limit (probably already done- but lets see if the plants melt) and a lower limit (well, zero, but we know that will not kill the algae! Maybe start with the lowest dose suggested in this thread)
OK, here are some more numbers and algae treatment strategies. (all are using 3% H2O2 commonly available in USA)
1) Full tank of water with fish, plants and algae.
Turn off circulation, then squirt the max dose at the algae using a syringe or eyedropper. Turn on circulation after a few minutes.
Max dose that is safe for fish seems to be about 1 to 1.5ml H2O2 per gallon.
I have added that much H2O2, but not directed at any algae. I used it to boost the oxygen level when a pump had quit.
2) Drain the tank so the algae is exposed to the air.
Squirt H2O2 CAREFULLY on the algae, so as little as possible lands in the water. After most of the bubbling has stopped refill the tank.
Max dose that seems to be safe for fish is 2 ml per gallon.
3) Set up very good water circulation. Add power heads aimed directly at the worst algae. Remove nitrifying bacteria (filter media).
Dose with H2O2, and move the power head if needed to target other patches of algae.
Dose per actual volume of water, really make sure of it, not just assume.
Let it run for 15 minutes, then do 50% water change.
This method (high water circulation) seems that as much as 4 tablespoons per 10 gallons is safe. I have not done this, just read about it.
4) Here is something I tried: 1 pint H2O2 in a 5 gallon bucket with about 4 gallons of water. Dip durable plants (Java Fern, Anubias, and I do not remember what else. Probably Echinodorus) for about half an hour. Did not really stop the algae. I was hoping to slow the growth of some BBA while I was re-scaping the tank, so set up that bucket and soaked the plants while I moved some rocks and driftwood around. Did not seem to work. A little bit (maybe 10%) of the algae turned pink a day or so later. Plants were fine.
|01-26-2013 01:56 AM|
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
|01-26-2013 01:52 AM|
50/50 peroxide water hc sitting over night
try starting small and work your way up, lol.
|01-26-2013 01:49 AM|
i feel like this is all to real. it is done if it doesnt work. fine by me. im not squirting perioxide in my fish tank or doseing it. i wanted to see if this works. i have 3 more batchs to test if this doesnt make it. i will try again with less time or less peroxide but i wont know till tommorw like aokashi said.
i will find a reliable mix and dip time and that will be the alge treatment i will use from now on and probley most of u will thx me later
|01-26-2013 01:32 AM|
50/50 peroxide water hc sitting over night
you wont be able to tell right now, melt wont start until tomorrow, you will first see transparency in the leaves and then everything will rot. if it's bad, you wont even be left with stems.
|01-26-2013 01:29 AM|
|abc||Is this for real? I feel like this is a joke post trying to egg responses from people. ok, if you are serious I would listen to what everyone is saying and pull the hc out now. The hc might recover but it will take a long time and much of it will be dead. I think u are going to have to start over...|
|01-26-2013 01:26 AM|
|pirayaman||i took it out 2 mins ago and it looks the same i rinsed 3 times. im gonna leave it in straight tapwater over night and check on it in the morning. ill let youse know|
|This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|