The Planted Tank Forum - Reply to Topic
Thread: Clear Tubing / Lily Pipes Questions Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
01-17-2013 10:15 PM
Brian_Cali77 Okay so i got 10' of vinyl tubing (1/2" ID and 5/8" OD) at Home Depot for less than 5 bucks. Seems pretty flexible to me. I'm going to fit them on the lily pipes with the hot water as mentioned. Now my question is not the clamps on the tubes over the lily pipes, but rather the area over the tubes that connect to the Fluval 106 aqua stops??
01-15-2013 05:26 PM
Rev2eight The home depots around here sell 1/2 ID tubing that fit perfectly around my lily pipes without needing clamps. I believe I paid around 7 dollars for 10ft and they have black ones.
01-15-2013 04:04 PM
dj2606 that is 1/2 OD and 3/8 ID
01-15-2013 06:08 AM
Brian_Cali77 Thanks again everyone.. what do you guys think of this tubing?
01-15-2013 04:08 AM
IWANNAGOFAST i think it's the same material, just the aquarium one is a little thicker
01-15-2013 03:57 AM
OVT Just take your pipes to a hardware store and check the fit.
Using clamps with glass pipes is probably not a good idea.
Using a hair dryer on the hoses works wonders for a snug fit.
01-15-2013 01:15 AM
Brian_Cali77 Thanks guys for the advice! Just wondering, are the tubes at the hardware store made of a different material than that of Lee's? I'm not sure if my LFS sells it, but do you know of a 1/2 ID (Lee's or alternative) tubing online that's good?
01-15-2013 01:02 AM
IWANNAGOFAST You can use hose clamps. However I stopped using the tubing you get at hardware stores for my tanks. The hoses sometimes just don't fit right and are too thin causing kinks. I've been using the ones you get at the lfs, lee's brand I think and they're much better. A bit more expensive but you really only need like 6 feet total so it'd be like $10 max.
01-15-2013 12:57 AM
fusiongt No you don't need special hosing. 1/2" is okay to get from Home Depot/Lowes but when I got 5/8" from there it was so freaking tough it made it much harder to setup so I ended up getting Fluval G series tubing which was a lot more flexible. ADA makes 1/2" tubing that is flexible but you probably don't need that extra expense.

The tubing is pretty tough to get over the lily pipes so that creates a tight seal so you don't need anything extra. You could loosen the tubing up by running it through hot water for a minute and then it'll go over easily on the lily pipe. Placing the tubing a few inches on the lily pipe should be good. I've never had leaks.
01-14-2013 09:56 PM
Clear Tubing / Lily Pipes Questions

Hey guys I'm about to get my 13mm Cal Aqua Lily Pipes and was advised that I need 1/2 ID clear tubing from Home Depot or Lowe's... just wondering if I need anything special to attach them, like hose clamps or something to make sure they don't fall off or get loose and leak???

It's for a Fluval 106... thanks!

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome