|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|01-18-2013 05:59 AM|
|difrent7||I am using floramax midnight without any PH issues. Ph from my tap is about 7.8 and is identical in the tank.|
|01-18-2013 04:40 AM|
I don't notice a problem with my Floramax midnight.
ph 8.4 out of my tap... 8.3 in the tank.
I just hope my RO still works after sitting idle 5 years... (wet)
|01-17-2013 12:18 PM|
|quietace||Ive used this substrate for 6 months with no problems with PH(6.5 out of tap) and havent raised it any. But i did wash it for a good 3 hours and then letting it soak in declorinaded water and then repeated it before i put it in my tank.|
|01-17-2013 07:26 AM|
Fixing Floramax Midnight (black)
After reading some of the reviews on Floramax I decided to check the pH my 10 gallon planted tank. The tank has been set up for about 2 months with strictly RO water and with an inital pH around 7. The growth was great at first but has recently slowed. I checked the pH today and found it to be 8.2+ ( chart was maxed). It doesn't seem to have effected the KH nearly as much with a reading of about 6degrees.
There has been some talk of limestone(or like) chips mixed in with the substrate. I have also noticed some discolored chunks in my substrate. Some people have mentioned placing these chips in vinegar and they bubbled. Upon reading this I came up with a theory for a fix.
What I am going to do is place some floramax in a tub with vinegar and let it sit for a few weeks. This should break down the limestone pieces. After the process is complete I plan on rinsing the substrate and placing it back into RO water to sit for a few days to re-test the pH.
If anyone has tried this in order to make the substrate inert and basically usable again let me know. Otherwise stay tuned for the results...