|03-13-2014 08:41 PM|
|BruceF||10g with mild BBA 10drops of algaefix two days later the algae is dead.|
|03-14-2013 07:43 PM|
After asking Tom Barr I decided to try from a small bottle. After 2 weeks I can see hair algae dissapearing. I lost one juvenile endlers.
I bought 2 more 16oz bottles. Good product.
|03-14-2013 06:55 PM|
|03-14-2013 05:00 PM|
I use it once in a while. I have a fifty with java fern, swords, giant red royals, hc, anubias and others. I have two gouramis and ten black longfin tetras.
After reading the extensive information on this subject, I picked up the Frankenstein, "Fire Bad!" operating principle. The bad boy of the algae killers seems to be anything copper. It is indiscriminate in flora or fauna. The AlgaeFix does not have that. I go by the bottle dosage - for my 50... One teaspoon. I measure the exact amount and slowly drizzle, (as much as you can drizzle a teaspoon), it right into the spray bar flow. IMHO, the key is following the instructions to the letter.
I watch the fish close with them showing no excitability or stress. The water gets white-smoky for an hour or two, and clears. It puts a pretty good slap on the "easy" algae. BBA I have to either cut the affected leaf or remove the rock and scrub the Hell out of it. I do all this in separate combination of the 1-2 Punch. There always seems to be SOME small bit of algae. But it's maintenance that makes it easier to deal with.
|02-19-2013 10:05 PM|
I've used it without adverse effect on fish and not too much effect on algae. I wonder if the different experiences might be due to dissolved substances in the water, either hardness or TDS. My water is rather hard, 55 GH, 12 KH, and about 1000 ppm TDS, If AlgaeFix does work by making the algae cell membrane leaky, then the higher osmotic tension of my water might make it less effective.
I've recently used it against chara in an outdoor container, the chara had a setback but returned as if nothing had happened. I need to try periodic repeat treatments, I guess.
|02-18-2013 05:36 PM|
|02-18-2013 03:56 PM|
I wish I had googled before I used AlgaeFix. I killed about 10 fish with it using the full dosage.
I have continued using it at half dosage but the fish seem to dislike it (you can tell when they taste it in the water they go crazy) and it doesn't get rid of the ugly black algaes in my experience. I am thinking of throwing in the towel on this chemical band-aid.
|02-18-2013 03:48 PM|
AlgaeFix: Experiences, Experiments, and Thoughts
Sorry if I missed it. but has anyone tested PH before adding and after adding the stuff?
|01-18-2013 11:34 AM|
And the follow-up.
Weekly water change and trimming performed.
Staghorn was slightly reduced. I didn't expect much, since its a red algae like BBA, which is considered resistant to AlgaeFix.
The guppy that was severely affected continues to do well, apparently no worse for the wear.
But another guppy that took longer to stop gulping at the surface than most has developed dropsy. This is an extremely rare occurrence in my tank keeping history, so it's hard to write this off as coincidental. It's currently being treated with Kanamycin medicated flake.
|01-15-2013 07:14 AM|
I decided to perform one more test. This time taking a bigger risk by doing it in my main tank with more diverse population, instead of smaller ones. It's a 46G, high light and heavily planted, with 30ppm CO2.
A bit of staghorn, mostly on old and deteriorating vesuvius sword leaves that should be removed anyway; a little more on lower light plants that got too much light and flow. I'll be interested to see the effect (and will definitely trim the plants later). But this is primarily to validate my earlier results in regards to the suspected respiratory effects of AlgaeFix; and the utility of using smaller, more frequent doses to give fish time to adapt.
I removed the bamboo shrimp and Marimo balls. Remaining livestock is guppies, swordtails, cories, neons, otos, cherry barbs, many red ramshorn snails, a golden loach, and a juvenile Ryukin.
4:00pm: Measured out a full dose of AlgaeFix as recommended on the bottle, 4ml. The plan is to add it 25% at a time, with three hours between each fractional dose. Added first fractional dose with a dropper, 1ml.
7:00pm: No adverse effects observed, added another 1ml.
7:15pm: Almost all guppies now staying at surface of water, some gulping air. Clear respiratory distress. CO2 is still 30ppm, oxygenation should be fine since I'm already seeing heavy pearling. Also, the swordtails are hiding. Did not see this in any of my previous tests, with fractional doses spaced further apart. Too much, too fast?
8:00pm: Quick recovery. Most guppies and swordtails now behaving normally. But one guppy is looking worse.
10:00pm: All now behaving normally except that one guppy, which is now having severe trouble maintaining normal orientation and buoyancy. It seems to want to stay at the surface, but it only goes periodically in bursts of effort; then soon sinks back down. This is a known weak strain, I previously lost two of its siblings due to a 70% water change. I hate to abort the test on account of this. I also hate to lose this guppy as it's extraordinarily beautiful. So as a compromise, instead of adding the next fractional dose, I turned off CO2, redirected wavemaker to water surface to more quickly reduce the level, and called it a night.
2:00pm: Turned CO2 back on, and returned wavemaker to normal orientation.
4:00pm: Lights on. The guppy has seemingly made a full recovery and adapted; it just took extra time, plus a reprieve from CO2 to help it past the crisis. Knocked on wood, and continued with the test. Added fractional dose #3 of 4. The staghorn looks very slightly diminished, could be my imagination. But also see some fish picking at it, which doesn't normally happen.
7:00pm: No adverse effects. Added final fractional dose.
1:00am: Lights out. No adverse effects seen at any time today.
Well.. It didn't go exactly as planned. Respiratory distress occurred, despite spacing the fractional doses by what I thought was an adequate amount of time.
It seemed to be species specific. Only the guppies and swordtails were affected. Basically, all the livebearers. None of the egglayers were visibly affected, even the scaleless ones normally considered sensitive.
Had I dosed the entire amount at once, I expect the instantaneous stress would have been enough that I'd need to abort entirely with a large water change to prevent many deaths, maybe losing some anyway. And then my lady probably would have killed me, too. Dosing fractionally saves lives!
Will take a few more days to see the effects on algae. I'll post a follow-up with that, and anything else that might occur.
|01-09-2013 01:55 AM|
|jester56||I dosed AlgaeFix a few times in my 50 with no obvious ill effects. Tonight, I went poking around to make sure all was well. It was, with one exception. One of my moss balls was looking like it was filtering all the dirt in the tank. I picked it up and found that there were brown spots on it and the bottom was almost all brown. Probably should have taken them out before dosing.|
|01-08-2013 10:03 PM|
AMPS has a few studies:
This one is good because it shows how ineffective Barley straw is, when back in the day, everyone was claiming it worked. It does show that the selectivity is different among BGA(and the genus that pesters us) and green algae. Economics are not a factor for chemical use for aquarist however.
|01-08-2013 02:34 PM|
I apologize if this has been mentioned already. But Chad started a very good thread on AlgaeFix and mosses. It gathered other good info as it rolled along.
|01-08-2013 08:18 AM|
I've had good results with Algaefix even with higher dosage. I had some bushy clado for a long long time in my tank that I could never get rid of it so I finally gave in and used it. I dosed the recommended amount EVERYDAY for a week and there was no ill effects on the fish or the plants. The discus, otos, and rams were all fine, didn't lose a single one. The clado though was pretty much all dead by the third day, I just wanted to make sure I got it all.
A side note, doesn't dead/dying algae release ammonia? if you had a ton of dying/dead algae like green water would that not cause a spike and in turn kill your fish.
|01-08-2013 07:49 AM|
But what I'm suggesting is that if someone plans to use the full dose anyway (for example against resistant algae), then each full dose should be broken up into smaller doses, spaced hours apart; as a precaution only against the respiratory distress some have observed. I have not tested this on shrimp, nor do I plan to - at any dose. Toxicity due to constant exposure of a particular level, and respiratory distress due to a sharp increase, are two completely separate effects in my opinion. My method is intended only for the latter, shrimp will still suffer the toxic effect.
|This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|