|01-17-2013 04:04 PM|
i'd keep the media
its like a roman empire that grows and evolves with ur tank.. DONT DESTROY IT
it will deffinitely speed up the time it takes for aquasoil's ammonia to be converted to nitrates
|01-16-2013 12:09 PM|
|happi||new soil is on the way, hoepfully things goes well this time. should i throw away the filter media from this tank, am guessing it might be effected with H2O2?? but i highly doubt it.|
|01-14-2013 06:09 PM|
|talontsiawd||I don't know what the issue is. However, before you do anything you feel is drastic to your substrate, try just poking it with a BBQ skewer/chopstick. Every time I have had a substrate issue, it would have a nasty smell. You may have air bubbles as well, should only be concerning if it smells nasty as with all that H2O2, it wouldn't be surprising if you have air bubbles trapped. I am not saying that this is an end all test, but if you get a nasty smell after stirring it up slightly, that does mean something is wrong, and you don't have to tear up what is there.|
|01-10-2013 09:44 PM|
Your welcome for 'that single datapoint' in the second post. It was simply a recent thread post that I read earlier in the week where the poster blamed it for damage to his cycle bacteria. I have no more information than you do on how the H2O2 was applied in the treatment. But it's not the first post of chemical drama I've read nor do I expect it to be the last. The only point I'm posting to 'prove anything' is that people tanking fish and plants kill a large number of things with it,,, and often.
What's on the web? (Tons of reading if you print it and most is a mix of fact and opinion)
Overdosing peroxide can kill so I try to use it VERY conservatively! As Tom Bar was saying on The Barr Report, “besides gassing fish with too much CO2, Peroxide seems to kill the most, followed by Excel overdosing”. Seen this way, I will certainly not be one of those who dose
2 or 3ml per gallon.
It is sensitive to light and rapidly breaks down in its presence.
Dilute concentrations added to the tank water can kill all bacteria in the water, including the nitrifying bacteria. It will also kill all micro-organisms, good and bad.
In water, hydrogen peroxide's half-life ranges from 8 hours to about 20 days.
23 quick search threads on TPT.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...highlight=h2o2 (you've been here)
Reaction in low TDS acidic water, tank water with high DOC, filthy substrate etc.
There are probably thousands of threads regarding hydrogen peroxide use, I'm sure you would find objection within the posted remarks of most.
I said aerobic bacteria including the mentioned nitrosomonas are only a small part of what's in the tank, "they are few in number respectively as it relates to freshwater aquariums" and (imo) they are.
H2O2 won't even touch myco and bleach ratios strong enough to kill it break down tank seals so it depends on what your after what you use, and how much of it.
It's been years since I had a foobar using it.
Thanks again for providing information and the time spent responding.
|01-10-2013 03:42 PM|
|01-10-2013 02:53 PM|
Superoxide dismutase and catalase. Don't respire without them!
|01-10-2013 01:29 AM|
|HD Blazingwolf||Highly possible, and i guess if u really stop and think about it. Heat does do a lot of stuff|
|01-09-2013 11:13 PM|
Humic acid is not a single substance, but a broad mix of organic components.
Even at 100°C, some of it is breaking down. About half is gone at 300°C. By 400°C, almost all of it is gone.
As far as I know, ADA has never revealed to what temperature their substrate is heated.
But I'd consider the breakdown rate a good a clue. If I had to compare the reported breakdown rate and softness of AS to a known, it would be kitty litter, which is fired to 1,000°C. Or maybe akadama, 800°C.
I know of no other method than heat to slow the breakdown rate of clay to the lifetime AS achieves. And though I hate to bring it up, there's a certain amount of "magic" I've observed surrounding the ADA products and culture, rather than just science.
So, while I am certainly making a few assumptions, I think this is probably one of those times when "organic" is being used to appeal to a certain group of people, rather than truly descriptive of the substrate. While the ingredients that were put in were organic, what comes out of the oven may not be so.
|01-09-2013 10:37 PM|
that is its main buffering compound
|01-09-2013 10:15 PM|
I think that firing the clay component to any temperature sufficiently high that the substrate doesn't fall apart way too fast, would also be sufficient to break down most organic components. Sure, the nutrients are still there, nothing short of nuclear processes destroys elements. But in the end, I doubt AS can truly be classified as organic.
|01-09-2013 07:20 PM|
5ppm of ammo can melt some plants, keep that in mind especially if its contained around the roots
that being said. buying more AS is probably easier
|01-09-2013 06:29 PM|
i know ada soil will break down sooner or later, but i don't want to waste my time on plants if they are going to die, i think i might look into buying more aqua soil and restart everything.
|01-09-2013 04:01 PM|
to cobra, aqua soil is loaded with organics, it is not inert, nor inorganic
its basically fired dirt IMO.
that being said even if it absorbed the h202, it would break down over time. i think the root cause to melted plants is as some have interpretted.
dead bacteria, = ammonia. too much ammonia can melt a plant
carefully done gravel vac's on aqua soil are OKAY. don't just ram it into the susbrate, but gently wiggle it around, it'll do the job, aquasoil is light and is easily fluffed around by the siphon
|01-09-2013 03:36 PM|
|01-09-2013 05:35 AM|
I have shot small amounts into aqua soil on the front panel of my tank. However I did not exceed 2 ml per gallon. I use aqua soil and would never think to use a gravel vac.i would think every time you stick it into the substrate your pulverizing it. If it were me I would use my fingers to drag through the material and use the vac as a siphon to get rid of the cloud of dust, but never having it indirect contact.
I missed the size of this tank.
If it were small tank less than say. a 55 gallon I would just replace it.
Best of luck
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
|This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|