|12-23-2012 04:05 AM|
just a comment - when I was running a nursery we would make cheap foam supports by taking styrofoam and dipping it in brown latex paint and then would roll the wet styrofoam in long fiber sphagnum moss. Seems like that would help what you are trying to do.
|11-27-2012 10:54 PM|
I didn't go too much further with this thing; I didn't really like how the foam branch turned.
However, I have another project in mind using the same general concept. I will just use a nice manzanita branch for it. I might have pictures on the way pretty soon.
|11-27-2012 03:02 PM|
|Barbgirl||I know this is old but just curious how things are growing!|
|07-08-2012 02:00 AM|
|07-07-2012 10:51 PM|
Thanks! I just sprayed out the GS foam in a snaky shape, then let it cure and carved away at it to make the branch form. It was easy.
|07-07-2012 08:59 PM|
|Ginna||how did you make the tree out of expanding foam ? did you roll it up or what ? but it looks really good|
|07-04-2012 03:51 AM|
|hydrophyte||Thank you pweifan.|
|07-03-2012 03:30 AM|
|pweifan||Looks great so far|
|07-02-2012 10:02 PM|
Here it is planted up. I could have selected better plants for this; these are just some random epiphytes that I had around. I mainly just want to use this planting to observe how the plants grow and also as growout. Now I need to set it up in the enclosure.
|07-02-2012 09:31 AM|
I got this thing planted up tonight. Here is a quick shot showing the branch with sphagnum moss. I used the sheet sphagnum, which is a lot easier to attach than regular long-fibre, held in place with monofilament fishing line wrapped around and around. I mounted the plants with cotton sewing thread. I'll get a picture the whole planted feature tomorrow.
|07-02-2012 01:49 AM|
Here's the foam branch with Drylok and a steel eye bolt. There is another eye bolt on the other side too.
I left the foam surface rough and with the Drylok it made a more or less convincing bark-like finish. After getting this shot I covered the log with sphagnum moss. I'll post a picture of that in a bit.
1-VII-12-epiphyte-branch-I-m by hidrofit, on Flickr
|06-29-2012 05:31 PM|
Hey how is your riparium doing? Do you still have it set up?
|06-29-2012 01:25 AM|
|Assassynation||Looks promising, keep up the good work!|
|06-28-2012 11:07 PM|
I hope to have some more pictures pretty soon.
The foam looks like it would hold some moisture and I think that orchids would like it as a substrate, but like I said I finished this piece with Drylok. I'd like to get some of the black Great Stuff for ponds and try that with orchids.
|06-28-2012 03:05 AM|
|Wy Renegade||Very cool, I was just looking at one of those trees yesterday in the plant growth building here on campus. I think that would be a really cool idea for the terrarium. I didn't try planting any of my orchids directly on the GS pond foam, so I can't comment on that, not sure if it would tend to hold moisture too well or not. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with on this one.|
|This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|