|04-10-2013 09:58 PM|
|Chulios66||Thanks for the help everyone!!!|
|04-10-2013 08:45 PM|
|fusiongt||Start over plain and simple|
|04-10-2013 07:47 PM|
those worms are not parasites, and parasites kill fish in months, not days.
add too much medicine in dirty water, fish will turn belly up for you.
change the tank water and feed once or twice a day, all food gone less than 5 minutes.
add cory cat, they like those worms, and they can clean the bottom well.
|04-10-2013 07:26 PM|
|GeToChKn||Had worms like that before from overfeeding and not changing my water. They usually gather on the glass at night and when you turn the light on they are the most bunched up. I would do small water changes, grab a paper towel and with a quick wipe, wipe up as many worms as I could first thing in the morning, cut down on feeding and they should go away. Fact that you saw one on a fish was probably either a parasite on that fish or coincidence. Those are common worms from bad water quality due to a tank not being stable and over feeding and over stocking and not enough water changes. 99% sure on that.|
|04-10-2013 06:00 PM|
Aquarium Dream turns into a Nightmare.
|04-10-2013 05:58 PM|
|ReluctantHippy||Those don't look like parasitic worms to me but if you want to get rid of them use a dewormer like Fenbendazole, not an antiparasitic.|
|04-10-2013 05:50 PM|
|Chulios66||The worms are white and they are over the water line in the spots that have some moisture when I turn the lights on in the morning. They aren't flat, but they look like a strand of hair. They have survived three different types of parasite killers and none of them work. Maybe this will help in showing what I mean. This isn't my tank, but the worms look just like the ones I have.|
|04-10-2013 05:29 PM|
|trapperwolves||As for the shrimp are you sure they died and didn't become a snack for the Mollies?|
|04-10-2013 02:28 PM|
Sounds like anchor worms, but then again I highly doubt there would be as many as you describe in any tank.
And just a tip: never pay $15 for a platty again, you're massively overpaying.
|04-10-2013 02:23 PM|
Aquarium Dream turns into a Nightmare.
|04-10-2013 01:48 PM|
|Chulios66||The reason why I know its a parasite is because one of the fish has a worm hanging around its head.|
|04-10-2013 01:43 PM|
|04-10-2013 12:27 PM|
Tiny white worms are harmless, at least in my experience. They show up when I overfeed.
Like everybody said, either you have some water issues or the tank is not fully cycled yet. Good Luck!
|04-10-2013 11:25 AM|
What kind of fish did you pay $15 for?
From what you're describing.... it sounds more like AMMONIA poisoning than some sort of major parasite infestation, but without photographs, there's no way you can make sure you followed the recommended treatment method to rid yourself of the worms.
A few weeks ago.... I met a person to trade plants for a portion of fish food & he told me a little story about his latest disaster & he used some sort of "STRANGE" unlabeled medication, I FORGET what he was treating.... oh it was Calamus worms. He used some "White stuff" on his 20G that he bought at some small pet store that was also KNOWN to sell unique adult videos on the side.
"WHITE stuff" can be ANYTHING. But I found the cala worms story & treatment method... absolutely HILARIOUS, I could tell he was desperate to rid himself of the worms that were "dangling" out of the guppies, but to use some unlabeled medication probably wasn't the "best idea".
As ACD suggested, post your "water test" results.
|04-10-2013 07:44 AM|
Planaria is more like leeches... more slug and less wormy.
It is highly unlikely that this tank was adequately cycled and stocked in the 3 week period that could sustain life without casualty unless you used products like microb-lift niteout 2 and special blend or equivalent.
If this were the case, there would likely be mention of water params, water change schedules, tds and focused on toxicity rather than chalking it up to wormy parasites. Has the water been changed or even tested for ammonia, nitrates and nitrides?
Is your water gh/kh/ph sufficient to sustain invertebrates... death within 2-3 weeks is actually common for shrimp living in ill suited water conditions as they can pretty much hold until such time...
|This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|