|02-04-2013 03:13 AM|
|wendyjo||Actually, increasing the temp can actually make a bacterial infection worse, as many bacteria thrive in warmer water. I never recommend increasing the temp if a bacterial infection is suspected unless treating with true antibiotics.|
|02-03-2013 06:10 AM|
|Yankee||Melafix isn't great. With fish that have damage you're just trying to prevent infection and further harm. Get ahold of some methylene blue and dose accordingly - it'll prevent infections while it begins to heal up. Normally aquarium salt helps prevent infections and yoking the heat up can kill bacteria and kick start the healing process (I'm not too sure about oto's sensitivity to salt, so be careful). The best thing you can do right now is cover your crevice so it doesn't happen again. I strongly suggest moving the oto to a small holding tank while you dose the methyl blue, salt, or heat so it doesn't mess with the other fish, plants, etc. Offer the little guy an algae wafer after a day and then after that give him some veggies (preferably cucumber).|
|02-03-2013 05:21 AM|
Need advice on my Oto
Ok so I just installed a new sponge filter and one of my ottos got stuck in the crevice of the sponge for a while. I found him in time and still alive but one of his gills looks red like he is injured. Is there anything I can do to help him recover?
So far I have dosed Melafix just in case.