|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|01-15-2013 03:10 AM|
Old thread, I am sure by now last year's problem is solved, but it is probably going to happen again.
When ponds get really cold the bacteria become way less active, especially Nitrospira, the species that removes nitrite. This is what I was saying in my post of last year about Koi (goldfish, and other pond fish, too) showing Methemoglobinemia, aka Brown Blood Disease.
This often shows up in early spring. The fish are starting to become more active, but the nitrifying bacteria is not yet recovered.
By adding more of exactly the species the pond needs you might be able to help it recover faster. These are slow to reproduce, especially in the cold weather.
Prime is available as a powder, called Safe.
Go to the web site and see if it also neutralizes nitrite and nitrate. I think Prime was not originally labeled for that, but they discovered it did neutralize these. Prime costs a lot less than Amquel or Amquel Plus, and Safe is cheaper than Prime. Also look into the Amquel product line (Made by Kordon) for ponds. Maybe more economical in the pond size packaging.
|01-14-2013 04:14 AM|
Try Cloram - X
Its a powder and real cheap works great for Ammonia. also 5 pounds of powder treats around 100k gallons or something crazy..
|04-23-2012 03:42 PM|
definitely for your situation, chemical treatment was necessary as the shear size of the tank makes normal % WC impractical. I recommend having floaters or some kind of plants to absorb the nitrates more naturally as you want to strike that balance where the tank will take care of itself, or so to speak...
there is another ammonia detoxifier which also nullifies toxic metals for ponds. i came across this at petco the other week but didnt catch the name. im glad to read your success here.
|04-23-2012 02:58 PM|
MochaLatte an Diana, thanks for your advice!!!
Just an update of what I did.... After the first water change on the last Friday I went to a local PetSmart and the Veterinary there advised me to use Kordon AmQuel Plus Ammonia Detoxifier. With this product no water changes are needed... I used the product as instructed by the Veterinary (every 24 hours) and the water now is perfect, without water changes.
Here is the product description:
- Unique water conditioner providing actions needed for safe aquarium and pond keeping for fishes and invertebrates
- Nontoxic and saves on the need for as many water changes as would otherwise be required
- Removes 33 ppm (= 33 mg/L) of all chlorines including those chlorines in chloramines from the water
- Removes/detoxifies all of the kinds of toxic nitrogen compounds in the water
- Removes/detoxifies all forms of ammonia/ammonium/nitrites/nitrates from the water, including ammonia in chloramines
- Reduces the need for water quality tests for chlorine, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate
- Removes/detoxifies toxic pheromones from the water
- Does not affect the water's pH (acidity/basicity)
- Does not interfere with the beneficial nitrifying bacteria or their food sources
- Does not interfere with the beneficial sludge-removing bacteria or their food sources
- Is completely amine-free
- Is safe to use with other water conditioners and organic herbal fish medications
- Is not affected by filtration or activated carbon filters
|04-21-2012 03:16 AM|
Nitrite can cause problems with the fish. It prevents the blood from carrying oxygen properly. You would notice Koi with brown tinted fins (tail fins and other fins). The common name of this problem is Brown Blood Disease.
Add sodium chloride (NaCl) at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons.
This is a low level of salt and will not harm fish or plants. However, once it is in there, the only way to remove it is water changes. You do not have to worry about removing the small amount of salt quickly, though. If you are doing regular small water changes eventually the salt will go away.
You might do a bit of research and look at how fish farms deal with this problem. There are other sources of chlorides that will help in this situation, for example, calcium chloride can be used.
On a smaller scale (aquariums in the 10s of gallons to a couple of hundred gallons), products like Prime can lock up the nitrite until the bacteria have recovered to deal with it. I have no idea the cost of dosing your tank size with Prime. I think the better idea is to keep up the water changes.
You can buy the proper bacteria. Look for Nitrospiros species of bacteria.
The following products have the right species:
Microbe Lift's Nite Out II
Tetra Safe Start
Dr. Tim's One and Only
there may be others, but read the label.
For such a large tank (pond?) any of these products would be very expensive if you needed to dose for the whole volume. You probably only need to add to the bacteria population, though, not replace the whole amount. These products need to be refrigerated, so if you can find a source, pay for fastest shipping.
Other sources of these bacteria are other ponds that are well cycled. The problem here is that removing the bacteria from one pond to help another might cause the same problem in the pond that donates the bacteria. Perhaps taking a small amount of filter media from several ponds, so that no one pond is losing too much bacteria.
|04-21-2012 02:55 AM|
|Humm||Thanks for the advice! I just did the first water change.... Waiting for tomorrow to take another test and to perform another water change.|
|04-20-2012 10:05 PM|
|MochaLatte||Only way to lower it is to do a 50% water change and you may need to do more than one water change. If you have another tank set up or know someone who does get some filter squeezing from them. For the time being do not rinse your filter and only rinse it maybe once every month when you get your water straightened back up.|
|04-20-2012 07:54 PM|
Help with high nitrite
I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for a little help.... I have a 3,500g tank and the water had 1 ppm nitrite And .5 ppm of ammonia. My configuration is the following:
* concrete tank
1 4,000g bio-mech filter
1 Pentair Intelliflo pump
1 80w UV
The tank was good for almost 6 month and I've being doing filter backwash once a week. Last week two water plants died and the leafs were spread all over the water and I didn't noticed. When I checked the water today all the tested components were stable but the nitrite was very high.
I was searching for ways to lower the nitrites but all off them suggest to change 25 to 50% of water, in my case change almost 1400g is a little expensive ... I'm searching for a way to help the kois and the water without making water changes, thinking on adding bacteria supplements but I don't know if that can help.
Any idea is more than welcome.
Thanks in advance,