Red Mongrove (Rhizophora mangle)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 591
Total Comments: 1267

Red Mongrove (Rhizophora mangle)

Information

Common Name: Red Mongrove
Proper Name: Rhizophora mangle
Category: Terrarium Plants
Temperature: 19 - 37 C
PH: 5.3 - 7.8
Lighting: High
Growth Rate: Slow
Difficulty: Medium
Origin: South and North America
Position in Aquascape: Background

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
An awesome plant, that's highly adaptable. I took six rooted and sprouted pods directly from SW to FW with no acclimation and they've thrived. They are an exercise in patience. A pretty slow grower. If you can come up with your own means of suspending the pods so that they are 1/2 submerged, the thick roots will reach for the substrate and establish themselves, making for an interesting self-aquascaping plant. Though I've never tried it myself, they should do just as well in a brackish tank.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
When old, it can look mature and artful as a bonsai. Does well with sand. :3

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
Have 17 of these in a 20g long SW tank and are doing average. I have little to no bioload and I think they are struggling to compete with the Macro Algae. BE SURE TO MIST DAILY

Your Avatar
I have two in a freshwater 10 gallon. One had its roots previously damaged by a crayfish and many of its leafs fell off, yet a month later it lives of with a few yellow leafs and a half brown one. The other one, which has a very small root system, has kept its dark green leafs. Adding fertilizer helps a lot and misting it often is a must, regardless of water type. I wasn't misting them at the start and both started to wilt but once I began to mist them things turned around.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
These have a tenancy to suck up magnesium. Its a good idea to test for Mg with these guys (especially if you are keeping salt water). They are slow growers that enjoy an anoxic substrate. Try and buy seeds that don't have leafs or roots yet. They do not tolerate salinity changes well.

Your Avatar
"A pretty grower." I have read that low light forces it to grow faster. Spraying is necessary to remove salt deposits. I am trying to learn as much as I can and hope to be working with this plant soon.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I might be wrong but is not red mOngrove but mAngrove