Corkscrew Val (Vallisneria asiatica var. biwaensis)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 590
Total Comments: 1267

Corkscrew Val (Vallisneria asiatica var. biwaensis)

Information

Common Name: Corkscrew Val
Proper Name: Vallisneria asiatica var. biwaensis
Category: Rosette Plants
Temperature: 65 - 83 C
PH: 6 to 8.5
Lighting: Low
Growth Rate: Medium
Difficulty: Medium
Origin: Asia
Position in Aquascape: Mid-Ground
Description  
Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
This Vallisneria prefers plenty of light and nourishment along with slightly hard water, but can manage quite well with less. Vallisneria americana var. asiatica has twisted green leaf that make a beautiful contrast when planted in groups. Its shorter leaves differ from most other Vallisneria-species and do not overshadow other plants in the aquarium. An easy plant that readily propagates via runners.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
It does not do well in my tank where other plants flourish. My water is soft, I must add stones to have a GH of 5-6. It grows slow, grows runners, and algae somewhat attach to it. Substate is a mix of flourish and sand, with ferts in the water column.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
In Las Vegas, 26 years ago, I had a 55 gallon tank that was thick with these great plants. It received about 2-3 hours of sunlight a day. It was a mixed community tank with no added fertilization and this plant flourished, sending runners out daily. I used to harvest it for the local fish store. I do think it prefers a slightly hard water with lots of light. Great pond plant also.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This one looks great - it's doing fine in my 29 gallon (medium lighting, co2, and ei dosing). I wish it grew a bit faster so I could fill in a bit more with it and replace my jungle vals.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I'm not sure if this plant melts like Jungle val does , but mine seems fine. I love the plant. It looks really neat. Running 6500k LED's (36 PAR) and the plant is doing well. Careful when adding Excel! There's a big chance it will kill off the plant. Half, slow, initial doses is strongly recommended