Alternanthera reineckii (Scarlet Temple)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 584
Total Comments: 1198

Alternanthera reineckii (Scarlet Temple)

Information

Common Name: Alternanthera reineckii
Proper Name: Scarlet Temple
Category: Stem Plants
Temperature: 22 - 26 C
PH: 7.0
Lighting: Medium,High
Growth Rate: Medium
Difficulty: Medium
Origin:
Position in Aquascape: Mid-Ground
Description  
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
All information here is all that I have tested myself. I don't have any accurate information on Max height. All of mine are only about 4 inches (10.16 cm) tall, I used to have some that were about 6 inches (15.24 cm) tall, but most of that was stem. The Alternanthera reineckii is very easy to re-plant. Upon replanting my first batch of these, they all formed shorter stems and the leaves started growing in down near the substrate. The Alternanthera reineckii can grow in a very bushy manner, or straight up with limited leaves. The leaves start out a beautiful red-purple coloration and can eventually turn green, I assume they do so due to a lack of lighting or nutrients? Currently, the newest stems I have replanted are very very red. I leave my 5100K lighting on about 10 hours of the day, but without fail the leaves on the top stand straight up at about 8pm (give of take). It really is magnificent to see. I apologize for not having exact parameters of my tank, but it sits at about 74 degrees consistently and is dosed with iron and potassium twice a month. As I observe this plant more, I will do my best to make this as accurate as possible.

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
I have this plant growing in my 29 gallon, it reaches the top of the tank and then grows along the surface another 8-12 inches. The lower portion is mainly stem with limited leaves, the part along the surface has bushy portions where leaf nodes have produced short shoots that turn to the light. Leaves in the upper portion are red while lower leaves are green. You can keep this plant bushy by trimming just above leaf nodes, IME two new shoots at the point you trimmed, wait for new growth to come in and trim again to get even more bushiness and so on. Lighting is a 30" dual T5NO which is considered low-medium light for the tank. I occasionally dose EI dry ferts and Excel.

PJM
Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I tried to upload a pic of mine with no luck. It has some nice red and pinks in it hopefully it will show up. it can be seen at my 12 long thread.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I just planted a beautiful specimen of this plant in my tank, I too have noticed the phenomena of the leaves standing upright in the later evening, does anyone have any experience propagating it?